Author Topic: Using beer in your pizza dough  (Read 81663 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Using beer in your pizza dough
« Reply #380 on: January 24, 2013, 06:28:08 PM »
Hi JD,

I have used Ommegang Tripel Perfection in my dough making. This beer is a Golden Tripel Ale that is brewed with spices. Ommegang gave the dough a nice sweet flavor. Thanks for the recommendation.
I will search out a few more tripel beers for future dough making.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.120.html

(Scroll down towards the bottom of the page on the above link.)

TomN
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:16:37 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #381 on: January 24, 2013, 06:30:39 PM »
Peter,

I just want to say THANK YOU for all the time you have taken do do the calculations and for the words of wisdom. Thanks Again.  :chef:

TomN

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #382 on: January 24, 2013, 06:38:58 PM »
Tom,

Happy to do it. I find that the numbers help me better understand what is happening. I also learn something at the same time.

I should also point out that your salt and sugar levels are on the low side. As a result, they may not have much impact on flavor. However, if you are happy with the results, there is no need to change anything.

Peter

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #383 on: January 24, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »
Peter,

What sugar and salt levels would you recommend to try? I would like to do some experimenting. Thanks

TomN

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #384 on: January 24, 2013, 07:48:23 PM »
What sugar and salt levels would you recommend to try? I would like to do some experimenting. Thanks
Tom,

A fairly typical amount of salt for a pizza dough such as yours is 1.75%. The sugar can vary all over the place, depending on whether you want more crust color or a more soft and tender crumb. Since most of the beers you have been using are fairly dark in color, I don't think you need more color from sugar. However, if you want a more soft and tender crumb, without adding a great deal of sweetness, you might try around 3% sugar to start, and go from there.

I didn't mention it earlier, but you might also be able to tolerate a bit more hydration since your Power flour has an above average absorption rate. If you decide to increase the hydration, you may want to do it as a separate experiment. The oil, at around 2%, also imparts a "wetting" effect to the dough, so you don't want to raise the hydration too much, maybe a percent or two to start. The increased hydration should help produce a somewhat more open and airy crumb, if that is something that you would like to achieve.

Peter

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #385 on: January 25, 2013, 01:24:42 AM »
Peter,

While we are on the subject of hydration, if i was to cook my dough recipe in a wood fire oven instead of my home oven, would I need a wetter dough? Does it matter?  

I ask because I know many Pizzeria friends that would let me try it. Some have electric ovens with the stone surface and others have the actual wood fire /gas ovens. I have always wanted to give it a try.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

TomN
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:42:41 AM by TomN »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #386 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:55 AM »
While we are on the subject of hydration, if i was to cook my dough recipe in a wood fire oven instead of my home oven, would I need a wetter dough? Does it matter?  

I ask because I know many Pizzeria friends that would let me try it. Some have electric ovens with the stone surface and others have the actual wood fire /gas ovens. I have always wanted to give it a try.

Tom,

I don't have experience with commercial ovens but I believe that you should be able to bake your pizzas in them. I would just eliminate the sugar from the dough. Using a higher hydration value than you have been using should produce a more open and airy crust, especially if the oven temperature is higher than what you use at home. You might bring your pizza screen with you just in case you need to slip it under the pizzas if it looks like the bottoms are baking too fast and browning up too fast. Without the sugar, however, that may not be a real problem. Beer has carbohydrates but not in the form of sugar. Beer is essentially water, alcohol, carbohdrate and small amounts of protein, vitamins, and minerals.

If you decide to try out a commercial oven, I'm sure we would all be interested in the results you get, especially if you are able to compare one of the commercially baked pizzas with a corresponding one baked at home in your home oven.

Peter

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #387 on: January 28, 2013, 02:27:42 AM »
PALATE WRECKER - Hamilton's Ale IPA - Green Flash Brewing Company

This beer is a very heavy, full bodied, IPA with a darker amber color. It made very good pizza dough. The beer advocate gives it a 93.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2743/45175

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:31:06 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #388 on: January 28, 2013, 02:30:14 AM »
I have started dividing my larger dough ball (made with 4 cups of POWER flour) into three smaller 12oz dough balls before the 24 hour cold rise. This is so much easier to work with this way.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:32:31 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #389 on: January 30, 2013, 02:36:49 AM »
Made an extra Sausage Pizza with the last of the dough that i made with PALATE WRECKER - Hamilton's Ale IPA - Green Flash Brewing Company.  This dough had a very nice texture and flavor. I would use this beer again, but it is very limited in my area of the country.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:31:50 PM by TomN »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #390 on: January 30, 2013, 01:54:04 PM »
I sure like the looks of your double sausage pie Tom. Would you mind detailing a bit about the meat. Did you pre-cook it? Thanks.
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #391 on: January 30, 2013, 06:41:58 PM »
Hi Bob,

Usually, I put the freshly cooked sausage on the pizza and cover it with the cheese. However, someone requested double sausage on the pizza, after I had the pizza already cooking in the oven. I cooked the sausage and put it on the pizza for the last 3 minutes of baking time. It baked up nicely and did not burn. I might try this again.

The sausage that I use is a Sweet Italian Sausage. I remove the skins from the links, then cook up the sausage. Less chewy taste and texture that way.

TomN

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #392 on: January 30, 2013, 09:45:48 PM »
Thanks Tom, good to see you aim to please...even on the fly!  :chef:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #393 on: January 31, 2013, 02:43:43 PM »
Tom,

You can now stop all of your experiments with beer and take a beer and pizza short-cut with this product: http://www.mammamiapizzabeer.com/main.php  :-D.

Peter

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #394 on: January 31, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »
Tom,

You can now stop all of your experiments with beer and take a beer and pizza short-cut with this product: http://www.mammamiapizzabeer.com/main.php  :-D.

Peter

:o Now I've seen it all

Of course beer advocate gives it a 64... bunch of beer snobs who hate pizza I'd say
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16836/41127
Josh

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #395 on: January 31, 2013, 03:42:38 PM »
Well, I guess we can all just pack up an go home now.  ???

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #396 on: February 01, 2013, 01:29:43 AM »
LOL,  :-D  looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for the posting. However, i have ten different beers lined up in my fridge for experimentation.  ;D

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #397 on: February 01, 2013, 11:27:16 AM »
I had one of those a few years back.  Mediocre beer, at best, but an interesting experience all the same.  I'm not sure I'd buy another - I prefer biting into pizza....

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #398 on: February 01, 2013, 12:20:53 PM »
Tom,

I thought that you might be interested in the beer dough formulation that John Correll has in his Encyclopizza book, at http://web.archive.org/web/20040623200337/http://www.correllconcepts.com/Encyclopizza/05_Dough-making/16_dough_recipe.htm.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #399 on: February 01, 2013, 12:43:29 PM »
Tom,

It is also possible to use beer in a pizza sauce. See, for example, http://web.archive.org/web/20040610190934/http://correllconcepts.com/Encyclopizza/08_Sauce/11_sauce_recipe.htm.

Peter

pizzapan