Author Topic: Using beer in your pizza dough  (Read 87608 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Using beer in your pizza dough
« Reply #400 on: February 01, 2013, 12:50:49 PM »
Tom,

I thought that you might be interested in the beer dough formulation that John Correll has in his Encyclopizza book, at http://web.archive.org/web/20040623200337/http://www.correllconcepts.com/Encyclopizza/05_Dough-making/16_dough_recipe.htm.

Peter
Thanks for that link Peter....gives access to his whole deal.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #401 on: February 01, 2013, 02:29:48 PM »
Liquid amounts may vary per recipe and some flours like Pendleton POWER flour, need a little more liquid in the recipe. However, what ever liquid amount you choose to use, make sure that 60 percent of the liquid is Beer. This seems to produce the best results for flavor and texture.

This is how it was explained to me by a friend that has several Pizzerias and is doing very well.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #402 on: February 03, 2013, 02:08:06 AM »
Orval Trappist Ale - Brewed by: Brasserie d'Orval S.A. Belgium  

This beer is rated with scores from 94 to 100. It has a unique taste and full bodied flavor. However, I had a real struggle with it for dough making. This beer was extremely foamy. At first i thought there was something in my glass, so i tried a second clean glass and even rinsed it out with water. yet, this beer still foamed up. Not exactly sure why?  ??? I was fortunate to get to my 9 oz of beer needed for the recipe after the foam finally settled down.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:18:03 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #403 on: February 03, 2013, 02:15:16 AM »
The Beer Advocate rates this as 94 and 100.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/37/129

However, other reviews by individual beer drinkers, all not that this beer is very foamy. One individual described this beer: "This beer has head. Mega monster head. Frothy sea-foam like after high tide here. Underneath, an orange brownish brew. Thick and massive lacing."

After pouring this beer into a glass and then reading the reviews, i can see the massive foam first hand. It did work well into the POWER flour and in the end came out well. I will let you know how the pizza turns out. I am sure it will be fine. I do not see a repeat using this beer.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:19:58 AM by TomN »

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #404 on: February 04, 2013, 10:08:22 AM »
Tom,

I tried to private message you but your inbox in full, when you get it cleaned up let me know by private message and I'll send you my thoughts.

Ron

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #405 on: February 07, 2013, 12:54:15 AM »
Although this beer foamed up a lot, it still made great pizza dough. I made my standard favorite caramelized onions, sweet Italian sausage, small amount of beachers cheese, covered in mozzarella cheese, red bell peppers, sliced Black Olives, and Mushrooms. Baked at 425 for 15 minutes. Took to a friends house in uncut in a pizza box.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:05:33 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #406 on: February 07, 2013, 12:57:19 AM »
To Quote a Beer EXPERT friend about Orval beer.

"Orval is one of those Belgian beers that has a wild yeast in it called Brettanomyces.  Its the only Trappist beer (from a monastery) with this wild yeast in it intentionally.  Brettanomyces (called Brett in the beer world) ferments very slowly and converts sugars left over from the initial fermentation with beer yeast into additional flavor components and some alcohol and CO2.  The Brett is usually added at bottling and works slowly but continually in the bottle.  If a bottle is old and/or was stored improperly the Brett could over ferment and overcarbonate the beer we call such a bottle a "gusher" and I have seen the beer explode from the bottle on opening and hit the ceiling, an extreme case.  Orval should produce a prodigious head but you should be able to pour a 330ml bottle into a pint glass and contain all the head, if not, something went wrong.  The beer may still be drinkable (its always safe to drink but not always pleasant) even though it has this flaw.  I would pour the beer into a large container say, a pitcher, and give it a few minutes for the head to collapse back into beer taste it and if ok use it in the dough, which I think you did.  I would call using Orval in pizza dough extreme pizza making."

This explains the reason for all the foam.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #407 on: February 09, 2013, 01:16:44 AM »
Decadence 2012 Anniversary Ale - Belgian-Style Quadruple Ale - AleSmith Brewing Company - $14.99 a pint

Made dough tonight for the weekend using this Anniversary beer. A little darker than I expected. Even though it was a Belgian-Style Quadruple Ale, it had the taste nice of a Double Bock Beer. Fun to try, but i will not be using it again for dough at $14.99. Wish it came in a smaller size, as i have all this beer left over.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:24:30 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #408 on: February 09, 2013, 01:18:45 AM »
 This beer seems to darken the dough a bit not nothing like a Stout beer would do, as I never use a Stout in pizza making. (just my taste in dough).

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #409 on: February 09, 2013, 01:20:20 AM »
Again, darker than i like , but nothing too dark. I am sure the dough will have a fantastic flavor since this beer is so sweet tasting.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #410 on: February 11, 2013, 12:36:22 AM »
Made two pizzas today with the dough that I made with Decadence 2012 Anniversary Ale - Belgian-Style Quadruple Ale - AleSmith Brewing Company. While i previously said that I would not use this beer again due to the 14.99 a pint, it turned out so good that i just might purchase another bottle and use it again.  The dough balls rose very well in the two day cold rise and they pressed out just fine. It was a bit darker color dough, but had a fantastic taste.

(The top photo is one of the three 12oz dough balls, after the two day cold rise.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:29:39 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #411 on: February 11, 2013, 12:41:29 AM »
I also tried a suggestion from TallStormCookinMD on this forum. For my sauce,  I mixed some Pizzaiolo Pizza Sauce that i had left over with a new can of 7/11 in a smaller bowl. (EQUAL PARTS) Then i added a splash of Merlot by Kestrel Winery. A Washington State Wine. i really enjoyed this combination and will definitely try it again.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:51:32 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #412 on: February 11, 2013, 12:45:08 AM »
A few shots of a slice of pizza with a bite taken out of it. AGAIN, i really loved combining the two sauces with a splash of Red Wine. Definitely will do this again!!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:55:56 AM by TomN »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #413 on: February 11, 2013, 10:02:29 AM »
Tom,

Has anyone ever marketed a pizzeria around beer in the dough and wine in the sauce? I think it's an interesting opportunity for someone who is as passionate about it as you are.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #414 on: February 11, 2013, 10:12:49 AM »
Ecclesiastes 1:9
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

Hi Craig,

I see a lot of Pizzerias in the Seattle area that use beer in their dough and wine in their sauce. I basically borrowed the idea from them and continually try to develop my pizza. I really enjoy trying new beers and wines in the process of dough and sauce development. If i do not like how things turn out, I can try again the next time. Lots of fun!!!!  So, I keep the experimenting as on going. ;D

TomN

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #415 on: February 14, 2013, 11:57:27 PM »
Anvil ESB (Extra Special Bitter) - Traditional British Style Pub Ale - AleSmith Brewing Company, San Diego, CA - AleSmith refers to this beer as their Flagship Beer. It is not as dark as the Anniversary Beer that I used in my last pizza dough and not as expensive. Anvil ESB is a good ESB beer with a lot flavor that is great for pizza dough making.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #416 on: February 15, 2013, 12:02:31 AM »
The two Beers side by side so you can compare the colors

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #417 on: February 15, 2013, 12:05:16 AM »
A good friend that owns a Pizzeria in town adds honey to his dough. While i know that the Anvil ESB will be a great beer by itself, in my pizza dough, I wanted to experiment a little bit. So, i added some honey in the flour as well. Then poured in the water/yeast mixture and then the Beer.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:11:51 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #418 on: February 15, 2013, 12:06:51 AM »
After kneading the flout for a short time, enough to get a dough ball, I use my Kitchen Aid mixer on slow with a dough hook attachment. The dough ball comes out great each time.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #419 on: February 15, 2013, 12:09:56 AM »
Then i make three 12 oz dough balls, coat them with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and bag them individually for a 24 hour minimum cold rise. Making three smaller dough balls out of the one large dough ball is so worth it, despite the extra Fridge space that you will need to make room for.

pizzapan