Author Topic: Using beer in your pizza dough  (Read 88958 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Using beer in your pizza dough
« Reply #480 on: March 25, 2013, 12:56:46 AM »
Had a request for a sausage, sweet onion, basil, mushroom, red bell pepper, pizza.

Again, the dough made with this beer was great. Easy to work with and a very nice smell to it.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #481 on: March 25, 2013, 01:00:01 AM »
I tried the finishing  touches from a Pizzeria friend.

Brush the outer crust with EVOO and then lightly salt it with Sea salt immediately after you take it our of the oven. I thought that was a nice touch.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #482 on: March 25, 2013, 09:22:21 PM »
Veggie Prosciutto Pizza

I tried a toppings recipe that my wife told me about, with dough that I made two days ago, using Hirsch Bavarian-Weissbier Hefeweisse.

Beer Dough
Pizzaiolo Sauce by Stanislaus
Whole Milk Mozzarella
Baby Spinach
Mushrooms
Artichoke Hearts
Prosciutto - thin sliced
Grated Parmesan
EVOO - a swirl before baking
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
425 degrees for 15 minutes on a 14" pizza screen.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:29:13 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #483 on: March 25, 2013, 09:23:49 PM »
tasted great and i will make this again.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #484 on: March 25, 2013, 09:51:41 PM »
Killer look'in pie right there Tom and those 'chokes had to be awesome.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #485 on: March 26, 2013, 01:02:47 AM »
Thanks Bob,

I liked the recipe enough to make it again. However, I will cut back a little bit on the Grated Parmesan the next time around.

TomN
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:42:42 AM by TomN »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #486 on: March 26, 2013, 12:53:42 PM »
Tom, have thought to do a corned beef and cabbage pizza on one of your beer doughs? Sort of sounds like it would be a natural, no?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #487 on: March 26, 2013, 12:55:01 PM »
Someone asked again for the dough recipe and I noticed a few corrections that needed to be made.

My Current Recipe Measurements:

(Mix in a Bowl)
4 cups Pendleton Power Flour (scoop it out of the bag with your measuring cup and level the top with a butter knife, seems to work well)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt - (add to flour and mix with your hand so that the yeast water mix does not get directly poured onto a pile of salt)
1 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive oil (or a quick pour)

(Mix in a Glass)
1 & 1/2 teaspoon Quick Rise Yeast
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
5 ounces warm water
(there is debate whether you really need to do the mixing of yeast in the water process and some people just add the yeast directly to the flour, but I continue to do this process as it is what I am used to doing.)

(Pour in a Separate Glass)
9 ounces of beer (beer of your choice, but do not use Stout Beers) (in My opinion)
measure the amount at first but in time, you will eventually know the beer amount by looking at the side of the glass. (look at all my postings and you will see the same glass and beer amount)

(Combining all the Ingredients)
In the metal bowl, you have the 4 cups of flour and the salt already mixed in. Give a quick pour of EVOO and then add the glass containing the yeast/water and mix it in. Now pour in the beer and knead/Mix all ingredients until a dough ball is formed.  Then, knead the dough ball by hand or use a Kitchen Aid mixing Hook, for 10 mins. (I used to knead by hand until I tried the Kitchen Aid hook. I recommend the hook)

Just so we are clear on this, I usually do the quick pour of EVOO in the flour first, and then add the yeast mixture and mix it in the flour, then add the beer and mix it in the flour as well.  (add more beer if your dough is too dry during the kneading/mixing process. If your dough appears to be to wet, then add a little flour. The way the flour is stored, room temp, etc.. the amount of beer used can vary a bit)

(Preparing for the Cold Rise)
When the dough ball is finished kneading/mixing, cut the dough ball into three equal parts. I weigh them on a scale.  Usually the dough balls will weigh out to 12.3 ounces, give or take. If one dough ball weighs a little more, it' ok. These will be pressed out later for a 14" pizza. Then i take each dough ball and roll it again into a complete rounded dough ball.

Coat each finished dough ball with Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) and place it in it's own zip lock freezer bag. (I use a 1 Gallon Size bag, but you can use three smaller bags or even a plastic container with a lid) I used to place the entire dough ball in a 1 gallon sized bag and let it could rise, then cut it into three. But I have discovered with advice from those on the forum that by using 3 separate bags, it really makes pressing out the pizza much easier and allows each dough ball to flavor develop and cold rise on it's own.
Place the plastic zip lock freezer bags in the Fridge for 24 hours minimum. I like the dough best when it has had a 48 hour cold rise in the fridge
Recipe makes enough for three 14" pizzas.

(Making Pizza)
When you ready to make a pizza. Take the bag out of the fridge and let the cold dough warm up a little bit. However, cooler dough makes the press out easier. (IMO)  Then, I press the dough out by hand and cook them on a 14" pizza screen at 425 degrees for 15 minutes
(oven is a standard home oven with a heating element and be sure to preheat your oven)

(CLosing Remarks)
I use Pendleton Power flour and recently I have been using a dough hook on my Kitchen Aid mixer. I still knead the dough into a ball and then transfer it to the mixer. Once again, as you make dough, you get to know the process better and better. You will be able to tell in the kneading process if you should have more or less hydration percentage (beer or water). If too sticky, add a little more flour. if too dry add a little more beer. It can change depending on the area of the country you live in, Sea Level, etc... Try to get good on your measurements but Don't get so upset about it as you learn the process. Remember, this is for home and you do not have a line of customers waiting either. Again, as you make dough more often, you get used to what needs to be done. Most of all and most importantly, HAVE FUN DOING IT AND ALWAYS SHARE YOUR PIZZA WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:38:58 PM by TomN »

Offline spazster

« Reply #488 on: March 29, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »
I've been experimenting with sourdough lately.  Does anyone know how well wild yeast goes with the alcohol or if there are any kind of adjustments I'd have to make so that beer dough compatible with sourdough?

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #489 on: March 29, 2013, 05:37:56 PM »
I just want to have a good pizza sauce next to my beer dough recipe for anyone searching for a good pizza recipe on this forum.  A really good pizza sauce recipe can be found in Peter Reinhart's book, "American Pie" on page 142.

Crushed Tomato Sauce
Makes 4 cups

1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil (optional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil (optional)
1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder, or 5 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice, or a combination
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

In a bowl, stir together all the ingredients, starting with 1/2 teaspoon salt and adding more to taste. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Let me add: I like to add a little bit more fresh garlic (IMO)

Always use a Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese. It really makes a big difference in the taste.

I posted a photo on this link: (Scroll down a little after you open the link)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22498.40.html

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:47:31 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #490 on: April 05, 2013, 03:17:18 AM »
Made dough using Blue Moon Belgian White beer. Then made a Spinach and Ricotta Pizza.

See the link for the complete lay out of photos.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24342.msg246821.html#msg246821

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #491 on: April 13, 2013, 02:37:53 PM »
Gift of the Magi - The Lost Abbey - Port Brewing Company - San Marcos, CA

This beer is normally 8.99 a bottle, but i found it reduced to 2.99 a bottle since it was a Christmas Brew. Gave it a try and i really liked how it work well with my pizza dough. At first this beer reminded me of a double bock, but it was dry instead of sweet.  Again, it was a very nice beer to use and the price was good too. I would use it again for sure.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #492 on: April 13, 2013, 07:34:42 PM »
A Pizzeria friend that makes FANTASTIC dough gave me a recent tip. He recommended using PINK salt from the Himalayas.  It is the best quality salt that you can buy and adds more flavor. Give it a try in your next batch of pizza dough.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #493 on: April 13, 2013, 09:00:12 PM »
A Pizzeria friend that makes FANTASTIC dough gave me a recent tip. He recommended using PINK salt from the Himalayas.  It is the best quality salt that you can buy and adds more flavor. Give it a try in your next batch of pizza dough.

This is the salt what i been using lately, its good.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #494 on: April 17, 2013, 02:16:00 AM »

This beer worked so well in the dough making process and the price was so good at the reduced price of, $2.99 a pint, that i went back to Total Beer & More, and I bought out the rest that they had.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #495 on: April 17, 2013, 01:53:24 PM »

This beer worked so well in the dough making process and the price was so good at the reduced price of, $2.99 a pint, that i went back to Total Beer & More, and I bought out the rest that they had.

Tom,

Lol, that you went back and purchased the rest of what they had of that beer.  :-D I enjoy your beer dough making adventures. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline spazster

« Reply #496 on: April 21, 2013, 05:46:33 AM »
I made pizza using beer dough yesterday.  I used Blue Moon Belgium White because I know nothing about beer and that was the only recommended one on this forum that I could find.  The crust turned out pretty good, but for the life of me I can't figure out why people drink beer straight.  It was my first time trying beer and it was freaking nasty.

Offline RJE

« Reply #497 on: April 26, 2013, 10:33:54 AM »
Tom,
I just mixed up a batch of your dough with the red hook beer...one question though, have you ever used honey in place of the sugar?
Bob

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #498 on: April 26, 2013, 01:31:48 PM »
Hi Bob,

I have a Pizzeria friend in town that uses Pendleton MONDAKO flour and uses honey in the recipe. His dough is really good too. Sometimes when I do not feel like making dough or did not have enough time, I will run down to his Pizzeria and buy a few dough balls.  At home, I prefer using Pendleton POWER flour. It seems to work best in my recipe and home oven, although I have had great success with it in commercial ovens as well. POWER flour will also last longer in your fridge since is has a high protein percentage in the flour.

I have tried honey my recipe before. I like what it does, but I think the beer is what gives it the most flavor and texture. However, all recipe as meant to be played with or altered to meet the needs of your kitchen oven and part of the country. Here is a link to page 21, reply 417 on my thread where I used honey.

Best to you
TomN

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.417.html
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:22:06 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #499 on: April 27, 2013, 02:34:59 AM »
Epic Brewing Company - Brainless on Cherries   

http://www.epicbrewing.com/our-beers/exponential-series/itemlist/category/28-brainless-on-cherries

This Belgian Style beer that has been aged in French oak Barrel that have been used for Cabernet and Syrah wine had a deep Ruby Color, but my dough did not produce any discoloring. This beer has it's own unique taste that comes from being barrel aged. I plan to use this dough for a special pizza recipe that uses Hot Cherry peppers. I will post it on here soon.

pizzapan