Author Topic: Using Beer instead of Water in the Flour????  (Read 61741 times)

Online JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Using Beer instead of Water in the Flour????
« Reply #700 on: October 01, 2013, 08:21:32 AM »
What a cool idea. You can actually go in an use their equipment to make your own beer? That would be perfect for me since I've sold all my equipment long ago, but every now and then have the urge to make beer again.

Thanks for sharing.

Josh

Offline Dorkmeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #701 on: October 03, 2013, 03:35:01 PM »
Tom,

I read your thread.  I cried a lot, for all those great beers you sacrificed.  :-D
Good looking pies.  Interesting work.

Offline TomN

« Reply #702 on: October 04, 2013, 01:14:19 AM »
Hello Dorkmeat,

Thank you for your comments. Keep in mind that there are thousands of bottles of beer out there just waiting for you to try. If it eases your sadness at all, remember that I only use 9 oz of beer in my recipe to make 3 pizza dough balls and then I drink what is left over. It takes good beer makes good pizza dough.  It's worth the sacrifice. IMO  Thanks again.

TomN
PS
Look at all the fantastic beers that I got to try while doing this cooking experimenting.

Offline TomN

« Reply #703 on: October 04, 2013, 01:34:37 AM »
Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen Beer

I made dough last night for myself and a few friends that want to try it in their wood fire oven. This beer was a heavier tasting Oktoberfest beer and will work well in dough making.

The Beer:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/124/386

The Recipe:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.msg245184.html#msg245184

Offline Dorkmeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #704 on: October 04, 2013, 09:05:14 AM »
Hello Dorkmeat,

Thank you for your comments. Keep in mind that there are thousands of bottles of beer out there just waiting for you to try. If it eases your sadness at all, remember that I only use 9 oz of beer in my recipe to make 3 pizza dough balls and then I drink what is left over. It takes good beer makes good pizza dough.  It's worth the sacrifice. IMO  Thanks again.

TomN
PS
Look at all the fantastic beers that I got to try while doing this cooking experimenting.

I can respect you wanting to experiment using only the highest quality ingredients for your pies.
One interesting style that you have not tried is a Berliner Wiesse (i.e. Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse).  It's a sour beer that uses a similar souring technique as sourdough bread.

Offline TomN

« Reply #705 on: October 04, 2013, 10:57:08 PM »
Hi Dorkmeat,

Could you recommend a certain brand of Berliner Wiesse?  Look at the link to "The Beer Advocate" that I am posting. There are so many, which do you recommend??? Thanks.

TomN

http://beeradvocate.com/search?q=Berliner&qt=beer

Offline Dorkmeat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #706 on: October 07, 2013, 01:19:08 PM »
Hi Dorkmeat,

Could you recommend a certain brand of Berliner Wiesse?  Look at the link to "The Beer Advocate" that I am posting. There are so many, which do you recommend??? Thanks.

TomN

http://beeradvocate.com/search?q=Berliner&qt=beer

I suggest "Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse" as it's going to one of the more authentic.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/87

Offline TomN

« Reply #707 on: October 08, 2013, 05:43:25 PM »
Thank you Dorkmeat,

I will try to find it at my beer store.

TomN

Offline TomN

« Reply #708 on: October 11, 2013, 12:43:07 AM »
Made pizza tonight with the last dough ball made with Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen Beer. I was impressed that this bagged EVOO coated dough ball was seven days old in the fridge. Yet, the dough ball still smelled great and press out very nicely as well. The finished baked crust also had a very nice flavor. I usually do not wait this long on dough, but just didn't get to it.  I have read on the forum that other have even gone longer with their dough in the fridge.

Toppings:

I cooked in a pan, sweet sausage that was removed from two sausage links, green and red bell peppers, sweet onions, some granulated garlic.  On the pressed out dough, spread SM tomatoes that were blended with basil, garlic, oregano, salt, and sugar. Then lightly covered the pizza with Grande Cheese, then put the cooked ingredients on top of the cheese, and  lightly sprinkled some shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese over the cooked ingredients. ( I usually cover the ingredients with cheese, but not this time, and I liked it this way, on this pizza)

LOVED IT.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:01:59 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

« Reply #709 on: October 11, 2013, 12:53:55 AM »
Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse

Getting ready for the weekend, I made dough tonight using Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse, from Germany. (Recommended by Registered User "Dorkmeat" on the forum)  This beer had a dryer tasted and foamed up a lot, sort of like pouring champagne. (I removed some of the foam from the glass with a spoon) It was Light-bodied, but made a very nice dough so far.

The Beer:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23495/36378
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:26:50 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

« Reply #710 on: October 11, 2013, 12:54:52 AM »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:57:37 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

« Reply #711 on: October 11, 2013, 01:22:31 AM »
A Closer Look - In case you wanted to read the Front Label, since it has so much writing.

Offline TomN

« Reply #712 on: October 14, 2013, 12:38:08 AM »
The dough made with the Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse beer turned out really good and pressed out very nice.  I plan on using this beer again!!! (THANK YOU Dorkmeat)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 01:06:07 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

« Reply #713 on: October 14, 2013, 12:59:02 AM »
Salami (Premium Genoa) , Prosciutto, Artichokes, Baby Bella Pizza.

Took a pizza creation off a menu and changed it up a bit. 

My tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, Grande Mozzarella Cheese, Baby Bella Mushrooms that were cooked in butter in a pan, Salami (Premium Genoa), Prosciutto, Artichoke hearts. swirl of EVOO.  baked at 425 for 15 mins.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 01:20:37 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

« Reply #714 on: October 14, 2013, 12:59:59 AM »
Continued:

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #715 on: October 14, 2013, 11:38:13 AM »
Tom,
Thanks for all this effort.  You inspired me to try beer in my doughs.  Well, actually I was getting ready to try it, thinking I was some kind of innovator, when I stumbled across your thread.   :-D  After I read it, I knew it was for me. 

So far, I've only used a few beers, Firestone DBA, Sam Octoberfest, and Sam Boston Lager.  I've used these in NY 24-48 hr ferments, NY emergency 1 hr ferments, and cracker dough.  I like the DBA and Octoberfest over the Boston Lager.  I like malty beers and they seem to come thru in the dough nicely.  I think a more malty beer is in my future.  I'll consult with our resident beer brewer at work.

Thanks for all the inspiration.

BTW, I'm using full strength beer.  No water.

PS: nice choice of Cab.  Chat St. Mich used to be an old standby of ours until my wife joined a bunch of other wine clubs. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:45:22 AM by bbqchuck »

Offline TomN

« Reply #716 on: October 14, 2013, 12:32:29 PM »
Hi bbqchuck,

Glad you like the thread and hope your beer dough turns out the way you like it. I continue to use 60 percent beer and 40 percent water in my total hydration. It is what I learned from a Pizzeria that uses beer in their dough and that warm water with a little sugar, activates the yeast better.  There is debate whether you really need to do the mixing of yeast in the water process and while some people just add the yeast directly to the flour, I continue to do this process. I think some water is still necessary, IMO.

Also, I like to try new pizza toppings when i see them either in a recipe book or at a Pizzeria.  The most important thing in all of this experimenting, is to have fun doing it.

Best to you.

TomN

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #717 on: October 14, 2013, 12:50:32 PM »
Tom
It has been a lot of fun learning pizza making and beer incorporation has made it more so. 

I've been adding my IDY/ADY to dry flour and mixing.  I add my salt to the warmed beer to dissolve. 

I haven't been able to see a difference in fermentation rise or speed of straight water vs straight beer.

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #718 on: October 14, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
Hi bbqchuck,
 I think some water is still necessary, IMO.

TomN
Beer is already over 90% water.

Offline TomN

« Reply #719 on: October 14, 2013, 05:05:01 PM »
Tom
It has been a lot of fun learning pizza making and beer incorporation has made it more so. 

I've been adding my IDY/ADY to dry flour and mixing.  I add my salt to the warmed beer to dissolve. 

I haven't been able to see a difference in fermentation rise or speed of straight water vs straight beer.

I warm the water to dissolve the yeast, but I never warm the beer. Whatever beer is left over, I like to drink cold and since the kneaded/hooked dough ball is going directly into the fridge for a cold rise, I want the beer to be cold. As for the salt, I mix it into the flour before pouring in the water/yeast mix and then the beer.

Tom
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:13:15 PM by TomN »