Author Topic: Aimless New York  (Read 5400 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Aimless New York
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2012, 11:40:41 AM »
Thanks guys.

The three most recent pics are from two different pizzas, which were baked consecutively. Pic 1 is from the first pizza, and the other two pics are from the second pizza. The first pizza's bake time was 5 minutes, and the second was a little over 5 minutes.

I gave the grill and stone sufficient time to heat up with these pizza, and I didn't have any problems landing them on the stone (for once), which made everything work out infinitely better. I probably would have been better off pulling the first pizza after 4 minutes and change, but it's pretty hard to figure that out without opening the grill lid during the bake and letting all the heat out (which I didn't do).

Even with the higher bake time, I liked the second pizza better. It had a crispness that I almost never get with either the oven or the grill. It may have been my best NY style crust ever.

Scott, I'd really, really love to try a top stone with the grill and/or mods with the oven, but I probably won't be able to because: 1) I'm poor, and 2) This is Mom and Dad's equipment, not mine. (They use the grill a lot, which means I need to keep my setup easy to dismantle and relocate.)

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe it'll switch me into a different mindset and force me to find a good way to deliver some top heat to my grilled pizzas, which I think everyone can see is desperately needed.

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Re: Aimless New York
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »
Ryan, a 2 stone setup need not be complicated or expensive.  A second baking stone would be ideal, but you can achieve something similar with firebricks, quarry tiles, or even regular tiles (glaze side facing away from hearth).  Regular tiles on a cookie sheet, suspending by either four $1 kiln posts or $10 worth of aluminum flashing would probably do the trick, although if you could hang the tiles (preferable dark clay) with angle iron and remove the cookie sheet, that would probably be ideal.  Firebrick's biggest downside is that it's a lot thermal mass, thermal mass that sucks up a lot of heat.

The most important aspect is that, whatever you build for a ceiling has to be quite a bit larger than the hearth so the heat can come up past the hearth and collect on the ceiling.