Author Topic: NY Style?  (Read 15255 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NY Style?
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2012, 12:26:01 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2012, 12:27:07 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2012, 12:27:57 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: February 29, 2012, 08:48:45 AM »
These are the pictures from yesterday of the pizza using one unfroze dough ball from last week with the KASL flour.  Although the pictures look okay and the dough ball opened well, I wasnít satisfied at all in the final pizza.  I have no idea why but the bottom of the pizza even though it browned well, had no crunch when cut.  I didnít even try the other two unfrozen dough balls I had along at market yesterday, because I thought they would turn out the same. I just took those two dough balls and refroze them for breadsticks or another product that isnít a pizza. I guess this is going to be the end of experimenting with trying to use this formulation.  I am having to many inconsistent results. 

I am going to have to try and come up with another formulation I can try next week because of going to NY and canít start the preferment Lehmann dough on Friday.  I have a few ideas of what I might try and will test them next week.  I think I am going to try Steveís formulation for his recent Lehmann doughs.  His formulation is based on this one, but is different.  Hopefully, that formulation will work out for a one day cold fermented dough for the following week.  :-\

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: February 29, 2012, 08:50:14 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: February 29, 2012, 08:51:30 AM »
Norma

Offline AdamfromPA

« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2012, 04:20:02 AM »
Norma, that really is excellent looking pizza!

I'm so impressed that I used a very similar formulation and mixing method that you refered to in Peter's post when making my dough tonight which I will use to make pies Tuesday night. I ran out of All Trumps flour toward the end of the night so I made a few dough balls using bread flour in case I need them. I'm curious to see how differently they turn out. I'll post a thread about it.

How did you like the Cento tomatoes? Did you have to do much to them?

Adam
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:22:48 AM by AdamfromPA »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2012, 08:08:24 AM »
Norma, that really is excellent looking pizza!

I'm so impressed that I used a very similar formulation and mixing method that you refered to in Peter's post when making my dough tonight which I will use to make pies Tuesday night. I ran out of All Trumps flour toward the end of the night so I made a few dough balls using bread flour in case I need them. I'm curious to see how differently they turn out. I'll post a thread about it.

How did you like the Cento tomatoes? Did you have to do much to them?

Adam

Adam,

Thanks!  I will be watching for your thread to see how the pizzas turn out.  I have tried different flours in NY style doughs and most of the pizzas turned out okay.  Steve and I have been using KASL most of the time, but I also tried another flour last week.

I gave up this formulation in this thread for the pizzas because the bottom crusts werenít consistent.  I am now trying Steveís (Ev) formulation at Reply 940 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg175315.html#msg175315 for market.  I might drop the oil a little in one batch today.  This is where Steve used the same formulation starting at Reply 7 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17934.msg173824.html#msg173824 for pizzas at his home.

I am going to start a new thread on how my progress goes later this week.

Just until last week I made the preferment Lehmann dough for market at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.0.html  I am not sure if I will go back to the preferment Lehmann dough or not, but it did serve me well.

I did really like the Centro tomatoes and think we just added a little salt and maybe some sugar to them.  I normally use Stanislaus products for market with other added spices and ingredients.

Norma

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2012, 12:48:42 PM »
Today I made dough for two 12 inch pizzas using this formulation.  After seeing Scott's million dollar comment I could not resist.  I don't have the same flour or oven as Norma so I do not know how it will turn out.  I used KABF and will bake after 24hr cold ferment and 3hr countertop time.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »
Today I made dough for two 12 inch pizzas using this formulation.  After seeing Scott's million dollar comment I could not resist.  I don't have the same flour or oven as Norma so I do not know how it will turn out.  I used KABF and will bake after 24hr cold ferment and 3hr countertop time.

Nate

Nate,

Best of luck with your pizzas!  :)

Norma

Offline pythonic

« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2012, 12:20:03 AM »
Here is the finished pizza that I baked today (5 mins).  I thought the pizza turned out decent for a 24hr dough.  The vegetable oil really gave it a different flavor than I am used to as well.   I did not use the same flour as Norma nor have the heat she has so I don't know how this compares to the pies she made.  I preheat my new kitchen aid gas oven to 550 for 30mins and I think I have around 600F in there but i do not know for sure.  All in all it was a good test and it's fun to change it up here and there.

Nate
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:11:59 AM by pythonic »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2012, 07:20:50 AM »
Here is the finished pizza that I baked today (5 mins).  I thought the pizza turned out decent for a 24hr dough.  The vegetable oil really gave it a different flavor that I am used to as well.   I did not use the same flour as Norma nor have the heat she has so I don't know how this compares to the pies she made.  I preheat my new kitchen aid gas oven to 550 for 30mins and I think I have around 600F in there but i do not know for sure.  All in all it was a good test and it's fun to change it up here and there.

Nate

Nate,

Your pizza looks very tasty!   ;D

Could you tell me what formulation you used from this thread?  Did you get decent bottom crust browning?  You bake time seems good and your oven temperature also seems good.  What kind of stone do you use in your Kitchen Aid gas oven?  I just baked a few pizzas in my momís gas oven and was surprised what temperature her gas oven can get up to.  I havenít figured out the right rack to bake in her gas oven though. 

Right now I am unsure about any of the formulations in this thread.  The oil amount is pretty high for me.  I am still on the search for a good NY style pie for market and donít really know if I will ever find it.  I still am trying to find a good formulation using GM Full Strength flour.   

I know Scott123 said some of these pies on this thread were winners, but I am not sure of that.  Having to watch how a bottom crusts browns gives me too many problems at market.  My deck oven at market bakes a little differently than a home oven.

Norma

Offline pythonic

« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2012, 11:36:10 AM »
Thanks Norma.  I used your formulation on page 4.  It browned nicely on the bottom (sorry for no pic).  I use one of pampered chefs older model pizza stones (without the built in handles).

What is your ferment time you are using now for market bakes.  I think if you tried Fazzari's poolish version of one of reinhart's recipe you'd be pretty impressed.  Here is the thread.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15563.0.html

Nate
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 02:24:12 PM by pythonic »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2012, 04:58:15 PM »

What is your ferment time you are using now for market bakes.  I think if you tried Fazzari's poolish version of one of reinhart's recipe you'd be pretty impressed.  Here is the thread.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15563.0.html

Nate

Nate,

I am now only using a day ferment for the dough for market.  I use enough yeast and try to get a decent final dough temperature so the dough will ferment enough within a day. 

I have read about Fazzariís poolish version of the Reinhart dough, but never tried it.  I have problems at market because I canít get into market over the weekend to check on my doughs.

I did use the preferment Lehmann dough at market for awhile.

Norma

Offline pythonic

« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2012, 05:36:20 PM »
I only ferment for 24hrs right now and it's fabulous.  I reduced the yeast by 1/4 to get that 24hr peak time.  Poolish is 12-15hrs.  See below for my formulation.

Yields three 14 inch pies.

Poolish
383.04g - water
203.87g - flour
1/4tsp - IDY

Final Dough
414g - flour
1/2 tsp IDY
12.35g - Salt
12.35g - olive oil
12.35g - honey

Nate
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:42:02 PM by pythonic »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2012, 05:59:47 PM »
I only ferment for 24hrs right now and it's fabulous.  I reduced the yeast by 1/4 to get that 24hr peak time.  Poolish is 12-15hrs.  See below for my formulation.

Yields three 14 inch pies.

Poolish
383.04g - water
203.87g - flour
1/4tsp - IDY

Final Dough
414g - flour
1/2 tsp IDY
12.35g - Salt
12.35g - olive oil
12.35g - honey

Nate

Nate,

Thanks you for posting what you do to have your poolish ready in 12-15 hrs., and also for the rest of your formulation.  :)

Norma

pizzapan