Author Topic: Apple juice  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Apple juice
« on: December 14, 2011, 02:54:40 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of Apple juice as an ingredient in a pizza dough?

Heard this one today and didn't know what to make of it.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

buceriasdon

Re: Apple juice
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:11:41 AM »
Mike, I've used apple juice in proportion of 3 parts water to one part juice. Different, not something I would do all the time. A pleasant enough tang from the juice.
Don

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:18:43 PM »
Mike,

One of the major trends in the baking industry over the last few years has been to find ways of replacing ordinary table sugar (sucrose), which has been the target of health professionals because of the worldwide epidemic levels of diabetes and adult and child obesity (see http://adage.com/images/random/obesechart051506.pdf), with other forms of sweeteners that are considered more wholesome, healthful and provide a "clean" label. A beneficiary of this trend has been fruit sugars. You can read an informative article on this subject at bakingbusiness.com at http://www.bakingbusiness.com/News/News%20Home/Features/2011/5/Fruit%20Sweet.aspx. Most pizza doughs are below about 4% sugar (with some exceptions) so whether your interest is based on health or something else, those sugars can certainly can be replaced by other forms of sweeteners, including fruit sugars in various forms.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »
Mike,

Norma tells me (via PM) that the link I provided in my last post requires registration. I am registered with bakingbusiness.com and usually access their articles without registering but this time I went to the bakingbusiness.com website directly and did a search there hoping to avoid the registration requirement. I'd copy the entire article but Steve has asked us not to do that sort of thing for copyright reasons. But here is a harmless snippet about apple juice:

“Fructose is approximately 20% sweeter than sucrose,” Ms. Swedberg said. “For example, single-strength apple juice contains approximately 5.9% fructose, 2.7% sucrose and 2.0% other sugars. Many consider fruit juice a natural alternative to processed sugar, and an increasing number of bakers are using juice concentrates as sweeteners to make a claim on the front panel. Depending upon the product, a fruit serving claim might even be possible.”

I find a lot of good articles at bakingbusiness.com that have had educational value to me as one interested in pizza, and think that it is worth registering with for those who are as interested in baking issues as I am.

Peter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 04:46:11 PM »
Mike,

Norma tells me (via PM) that the link I provided in my last post requires registration. I am registered with bakingbusiness.com and usually access their articles without registering but this time I went to the bakingbusiness.com website directly and did a search there hoping to avoid the registration requirement. I'd copy the entire article but Steve has asked us not to do that sort of thing for copyright reasons. But here is a harmless snippet about apple juice:

“Fructose is approximately 20% sweeter than sucrose,” Ms. Swedberg said. “For example, single-strength apple juice contains approximately 5.9% fructose, 2.7% sucrose and 2.0% other sugars. Many consider fruit juice a natural alternative to processed sugar, and an increasing number of bakers are using juice concentrates as sweeteners to make a claim on the front panel. Depending upon the product, a fruit serving claim might even be possible.”

I find a lot of good articles at bakingbusiness.com that have had educational value to me as one interested in pizza, and think that it is worth registering with for those who are as interested in baking issues as I am.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks a bunch for the info. I found out yesterday that one of the slice places I frequent uses Apple juice in their dough which was surprising to me.

Don,

I might give it a go with my next batch.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 04:56:09 PM »
Mike, I'll be interested in your results.
Don

Offline dipizzaepizzerie

• http://www.dipizzaepizzerie.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:32:14 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of Apple juice as an ingredient in a pizza dough?

Heard this one today and didn't know what to make of it.

Never, ever heard of. I've often heard of many unbelievable ingredients that some add but never of apple juice.
Out of curiosity: why for? I mean, why should you add apple juice? Better taste, digestability, different flavour?
Daniela

P.S. During the research for my blog (http://www.dipizzaepizzerie.com/) I met pizza makers who held that many ingredients can be uded in the dough such as the egg, cream, soya milk. When I asked them if they were actually using them in their pizzas they replied with a NO!
In italy one of the most common dough recipe is very simple: flour, yeast, salt, water and oil.
jet amazingly good if well made.

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 03:26:13 PM »
Daniela, Some of us experiment with different ingredients simply for the sake of trying different flavors.

Don

Never, ever heard of. I've often heard of many unbelievable ingredients that some add but never of apple juice.
Out of curiosity: why for? I mean, why should you add apple juice? Better taste, digestability, different flavour?
Daniela