Author Topic: I'm a tomato virgin....about to try my first can of tomatoes other than Hunts...  (Read 1313 times)

Offline skunker

Hi all,
 Tomorrow evening I will get my first ever chance to try a 6 n 1 tomato. As a matter of fact, I have never tasted any canned tomatoes in my life other than the Hunts varieties. I'm 31 and about to make my first pizza. I had a thought....since I am a tomato virgin and have no basis or preconceived idea on how the 6 n 1 should taste.....does anyone want me to do a taste test of a few other brands? I think locally I have centro, red gold, San Marranos ( fake kind?) and Walmart brands.

Thought it might be an interesting scenario considering I have no idea how these things should taste.

parallei

I'm a fan of 6-1's myself.  I'd be interested in hearing what you think if you were to open a can of your Hunts, and a can of 6-1 and try them both straight out of the can. No fair adding anything to them!  Actually, I think canned tomatoes taste a bit better after they've been exposed to the air a bit......sorta like wine I guess.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
There's a very active thread you might want to look at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16096.0.html
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline FeCheF

Yeah you might want to try classico brand either peeled ground or crushed. Crushed in my opinion has better flavor, but you need to dump the whole can in a mesh strainer and let it set untouched for roughly 30 minutes. You will end up with about a 1/2 cup almost clear liquid. With 1/2 cup liquid removed, i find that to be a good consistency for pizza sauce.
 I have never tried 6-1 but i read people say classico is just as good if not better. Walmart has classico brand for $1.58 a can right now.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:07:43 AM by FeCheF »

pizzapan