Author Topic: Dough Ripping After Addt'l Cold Ferment  (Read 701 times)

Offline djamc

Dough Ripping After Addt'l Cold Ferment
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:26:07 PM »
I made my first dough a few evenings ago an seem to have had more success with my first pizza that had a 20 hr cold ferment than I did with 2 pies that had 68 hr ferments...

For prep of the dough I autolyzed 75% of flour along with the IDY and water for 20 minutes...  I then kneaded for ~12 mins in KA...  I then divided the dough into 3 balls and placed in plastic containers to cold ferment...  Additionally I let each dough rest at room temp for 90 minutes before worling with the dough...

The issue I had is the two doughs that had the 68 hour cold ferment seemed less elastic and each of them ripped...

One caveat - I think I might not have mixed the ingredients enough during the autolyze...

Any advice would b greatly appreciated!

Thanks - Dan

Dough
KABF
600g flour
390g water
21g sea salt
7g IDY

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
Re: Dough Ripping After Addt'l Cold Ferment
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:25:47 PM »
Ripped like got to thin when you were stretching it out? Was it too inelastic and opened too easy? or ripped like a huge chunk of dough just ripped off?

I personally don't think the autolysis of the dough was your problem. I wonder if you over kneaded the dough actually. 12 minutes seems long to me even on low, at what speed did you mix the dough?

Jeff

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 12:20:51 AM »
I bet your dough was too cold.Let it warm up more by a stove.Let it warm up for 2.5 - 3 hours next time.

-Bill

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »
I too think 12 minutes is an excessive amount of kneading, plus the rest period at the start, for an extended cold ferment. I would try 3 to 4 minutes tops on speed 2. You're building up way to much gluten. You don't need a smooth silky dough ball. I use that kneading time for ciabatta dough at 90%, your dough is 65% hydration.
Don

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:05:25 AM »
Dan,

I agree with the others on the excessive mix time. I also think that your salt level, at 3.5%, is much too high. That is about the level of salinity of sea water. You should cut the salt in half. Your yeast level, at about 1.2% IDY, is also too high for a cold fermented dough. I don't know how cold it is this time of year where you live, but the IDY should be closer to about 0.40%.

I might add that your autolyse was not technically an autolyse as conceived by Prof. Raymond Calvel, who was the father of autolyse, because you included the IDY in with the flour and water. With almost 1.2% IDY, you no doubt started to get some fermentation, with acidification of the dough. You can get away with adding some yeast to the dough during the autolyse but it has to be in a very small amount and for a short autolyse rest period so that it doesn't have time to acidify the dough.

If you make all of the suggested changes, I think you should have better results next time.

Peter

Offline djamc

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 11:46:55 PM »
Thank u all so much for the replies!

I will definitely cut down on the kneed-time as well as the salt & IDY and will also let the dough warm a bit more...

Jeff - in response to ur question, yes the dough became too thin in the middle during the stretch and ripped...

Dan

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 07:28:08 PM »
I have had the problems of over stretching my dough in the very middle before and caused it to rip. Normally I can get it about thin enough to see through before that does happen though. It could just mean being more careful while opening the dough. Try the knew kneading techniques and get back to us.

Jeff

pizzapan