Author Topic: How long does flour (Caputo 00) last? Storage options?  (Read 1177 times)

Offline brandonb

How long does flour (Caputo 00) last? Storage options?
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:21:11 AM »
I tried Caputo 00 in my home oven tonight after using KA bread flour for my first 2 tries and am hooked. My local Italian market has a 55lbs bag of Caputo 00 pizza flour that I may go ahead and get (it's half the price per lbs compared to the 2lbs bag). It'll take me over a year to go through that.

So my questions are:

How long can I expect it to stay good for? (not sure about flour's shelf life)
What are the best ways to store the flour? Would a large sealed plastic tube in the garage be okay?

Thanks!

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: How long does flour (Caputo 00) last? Storage options?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 02:07:51 AM »
There is a date on the bags, its rather short? like 6 months or something I think. But, if you properly store flour air tight, it can be stored for like 10 years +. Unless maybe there is something different about caputo compared to regular flour possibly having preservatives? I know people who have disaster food storage and it last a long time. Also if it would take you a year to finish a bag, and if it did last 6 months, and it is half the price, it wouldn't matter which you bought, 2lbs or 55lbs lol.

Sorry to spam all your post with replies, there are a lot smarter members on these forums, I hope they respond soon.

Jeff

pizzapan