Author Topic: Favorite Vegetarian Topping Combinations  (Read 6943 times)

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Favorite Vegetarian Topping Combinations
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »
OK Craig, I'm a believer! Finally had a chance to make the Brussels sprouts and pancetta and it was delicious! My wife and father-in-law loved it too. The only things that I think that I will change next time is to use more sprouts and a little more mozz, but it was great the way it was.

I forgot to take a picture when it came out of the oven. We were so anxious to try it and it was gone before I thought about it.

Now on to the true vegetarian pies...
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 01:29:12 PM »
 ;D

It is amazing how the sprouts seem to dissapear when you bake. I add more each time I make it, and I never seem to have added enough.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 02:47:16 PM »
It is amazing how the sprouts seem to disappear when you bake. I add more each time I make it, and I never seem to have added enough.
I see what you mean. I wasn't sure how many sprouts that I was going to need so I bought a fairly big bag of them. I only ended up using 3 of them. They are so dense--it's kind of amazing how much you end up with when you peal them apart. They definitely shrink down in the oven though. I'll probably use twice as much next time.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 01:32:27 AM »
OK, I've tried a bunch of different vegetarian combinations and I must say that this has been an eye-opening exercise for me. It has forced me to try some things that I would have never considered putting on a pizza. Prior to this, the only pizza that I would ever make without meat is a cheese only one.

I tried several of the combinations suggested here as well as a few of my own variations of them.

I have used smoked mozzarella and smoked provolone on several veggie pies and they are marvelous. As I think someone mentioned, it kind of gives a bacon-like taste, especially with some EVOO.

Some of my favorites have been:

Smoked provolone, caramelized onion, Brussels sprouts, EVOO, sea salt. This makes two ways that I like Brussels sprouts now.

Smoked provolone, caramelized onion, kale, EVOO, sea salt. Same as above except with kale instead of Brussels sprouts. I've always thought of kale as a garnish. I think that this is the first time that I've actually eaten it and it was very tasty this way.

Fried breaded eggplant, mozzarella, Pecorino Romano, red sauce. Wow! I enjoyed this a lot!

Asparagus, artichoke hearts, sauteed onions, spinach, red sauce. The one slice that I had was great. My wife couldn't get enough of it.

Green tomatoes (thinly sliced), EVOO, minced garlic, sea salt, black pepper, smoked mozzarella, Pecornio Romano. My Aunt supplied me with the green tomatoes from her greenhouse. This was my own experiment. Delicious!

I haven't had a chance to try any of the faux meats yet.

Thanks again everyone for the great ideas!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:12:54 AM by Colonel_Klink »

Offline peetzabone

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »
OK Craig, I'm a believer! Finally had a chance to make the Brussels sprouts and pancetta and it was delicious!

Does anyone know how to break down the sprouts so they look like this? I think they'd cook better this way than if they were simply hacked up.

Trying my first BSprouts pie tomorrow!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 09:50:30 PM »
Does anyone know how to break down the sprouts so they look like this? I think they'd cook better this way than if they were simply hacked up.

Core them pretty deep and simply peel off the leaves. You can kind of just turn them inside out after you get the outermost leaves off. Throw away the dirty ones on the outside of course.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline HAMnEGGr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »
Nevermind.  I saw that my question was already answered in the thread. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 09:38:25 PM by HAMnEGGr »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 11:01:30 PM »

I make BS pies all the time. It's one of my favorites. I've realized that its worth the extra effort to peel the leaves off whole. It takes a long time to do it but the flavor of the whole leaves is really worth it.  They're still good when you chop them, but much better with whole leaves. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 11:18:37 PM »
You have to do the whole leaves - at least in the WFO version - the charring on the tips is absolutely key to the flavor of the pie.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 11:25:06 PM »
We should also mention the incomparable Rosa from Pizzeria Bianco: red onion, Parmesan Reggiano, pistachios, and rosemary.  I like to add tomato sauce as well, but it's great either way. The pistachios and the onions do something extraordinary together. 

And what about olive oil, garlic, Parmesan and Aleppo pepper with a big pile of arugula thrown on at the end. Now that's delicious! 

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 02:54:23 AM »
A few things I haven't seen on this page yet

Capers
Jalepenos, pickled even
Red onion
Olives
Zuccini, optionally soaked in lemon juice
Cherry tomatoes
Grapes
Pineapple
Pumpkin (pre-cooked - boiled or roasted)
Seeds... careful not to burn them

I'm not personally a giant fan of the faux meats on pizza - not that they can't be good, but for some reason they always seem superfluous to good natural ingredients.   

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 08:59:54 PM »
Thin-sliced roasted eggplant, marinated artichokes(drained), orange peppers, onions, olives and feta cheese.

No sauce, sautéed shiitake mushrooms on top of fontina cheese, a little shredded mozzarella, a hint of fresh ground black pepper and finish with a healthy drizzle of white truffle oil when it comes out of the oven.  This is one of my favorites!
Mary Ann

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 10:29:59 PM »
Fruit is "vegetarian."  Try some mozzarella, dollops of brie with fresh peach slices and a swirl of olive oil.  Add balsamic vinegar reduction and basil (or arugula) post bake.

Offline jkb

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 04:36:18 AM »
I do Greek toppings.

Bottom to top:

Roasted garlic oil
Fresh sliced tomato
Oregano
Spinach leaves
Mozzarella (fresh and LM)
Kalamata olives
Feta

It all the rage to be hating on truffle oil these days.  I don't give a @%&#.  It's really good on this pie.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 04:38:20 AM by jkb »