Author Topic: Getting back to the beginning! HELP  (Read 548 times)

Offline Drgolf369

Getting back to the beginning! HELP
« on: January 28, 2012, 04:40:30 PM »
If my memory serves me correctly from my philosophy major in college, Nietzsche said that you have to go down to the depths before you can rise up to the pinnacle.
Well I am down there when it comes to my new found search for the perfect Napolitano masterpiece.
As Omid knows, I have been making pizza (that's with a small "p") for 25 years and have been using a WBO for 5 years. As a matter of fact, last year I tore down the 24" prefab Earthstone interior and had my mason build a 38" all brick replacement. (Truly a sign of a deep seated problem.) The heat retention and ability to cook two pizzas simultaneously has made entertaining much more pleasurable.
Now my search has turned to creating real Pizza (that's a large "P") meaning Napolitano Pizza. The new hydration level has opened my eyes. However, the very kneading of the ingredience is the low level where I am stuck.
I have been researching this dilemma since I discovered this blog. I think slow RPM is important to keep the temperature down. Aeration is important to develop a proper dough. A fork does both better than a spiral and the hook and spindle follow that. I have been told that for mixing 1 Kilo flour batches at a time hand mixing is simple and easy. However, I believe that consistency is best achieved with a machine over human input.
So which machine?
My first choice is the Santos if the RPMs can be slowed. (I think if I take the machine to an electric motor repair shop, they can swap out the motor or build in a converter.)
My second choice is a Haussler because it is a spiral and the bowl rotates independently.
I currently have a Delonghi with a hook which has variable speed and can go very slowly and not heat up the dough but I think the hydration is limited.
So, here I am, stuck at the beginning and am asking for help! What should I do?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Getting back to the beginning! HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »
In my experience high hydration dough is much less susceptible to heating up from kneading. The water is a very effective heat sink. Whether I'm using a fork mixer or a food processor or folding by hand, heat build-up has never been a consideration.   

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 05:16:29 PM »
I currently have a Delonghi with a hook which has variable speed and can go very slowly and not heat up the dough but I think the hydration is limited.

Drgolf are you saying that the mixer does not do well with high or low hydration doughs?  I am not familar with that mixer and I am curious as to your statement.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Drgolf369

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 05:26:14 PM »
The Delonghi is similar to the Cuisenart. It does well but the action of a "hook" looks like the agitation is uneven because some of the dough sticks to the hook while some runs up to the top of the hook and some is constantly kneaded. I can be wrong but I think that to create the optimum dough, there must be a better and more predictable way.
On a side note, I just weighed two 1Kilo bags of Caputo 00 flour. To my surprise it weighed only 955 gms.