Author Topic: 16" Wood Pizza Peel  (Read 3436 times)

Offline hockman4357

16" Wood Pizza Peel
« on: January 28, 2012, 10:03:05 PM »
Can anyone recommend a well made 16" pizza peel?  The peel that I made several years ago broke last weekend.  Bummer!!!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: 16" Wood Pizza Peel
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 10:17:28 PM »
Can anyone recommend a well made 16" pizza peel?  The peel that I made several years ago broke last weekend.  Bummer!!!

Google American Metalcraft wooden pizza peels. They're excellent.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:29:19 PM »

Hockman4356,

In addition to Mikeís post, The WEBstaurant Store has some good pizza peels if you have a WEBstaurant store near you or might want to order one online.  http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3273/wood-pizza-peels.html

I have used this wooden pizza peel at my market stand for almost 3 years and it still works well.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/18-x-18-wooden-pizza-peel-with-24-handle/1244218.html

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
I really like GI Metal products. www.gimetalusa.com

The perforated peels are awesome.

Members JConk007 (John) or Frankie G can help you out if you are interested.

Craig

Pizza is not bread.

Offline alexpa

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 12:32:59 PM »
Hockman4356,

In addition to Mikeís post, The WEBstaurant Store has some good pizza peels if you have a WEBstaurant store near you or might want to order one online.  http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3273/wood-pizza-peels.html

I have used this wooden pizza peel at my market stand for almost 3 years and it still works well.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/18-x-18-wooden-pizza-peel-with-24-handle/1244218.html

Norma

I just bought my first peel from a restaurant supply store... It looks very similar to those you linked us to online. It feels solid, has a nice weight to it, and has a very sharp tapered edge. My only concern tho is that it has a very rough texture... Almost as coarse as a palet whereby I can see little 'pills' of wood looking like theyre about to fall off.

My question is do most shops just start using them or should I spend some time sanding it down to a perfect surface? Then is mineral oil an appropriate sealant or should I skip that step and start using? I'm sure to most commercial pizza shops it is just a tool but at home it has already become a conversation piece. I'm not sure if I should chase the authentic burnt and well used look or if I should finish it and try to make it look new forever.

Alex

Offline alexpa

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 12:34:51 PM »
Apparently half of this question was answered last week. Sorry  ;)

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:28:48 PM »
Alex,  I like my peel to be smooth, so I would sand it.  At the very least, you should knock off any loose fibers -  it wouldn't kill you to eat them, but I don't think it would add to the presentation to have slivers of wood in the crust.  If you are sanding, I would sand to 120 or 150.  I am in the minority, but I put mineral oil on mine -  I think it helps keep the wood from drying out too much, but it could be my imagination.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 10:11:22 PM »
I just bought my first peel from a restaurant supply store... It looks very similar to those you linked us to online. It feels solid, has a nice weight to it, and has a very sharp tapered edge. My only concern tho is that it has a very rough texture... Almost as coarse as a palet whereby I can see little 'pills' of wood looking like theyre about to fall off.

My question is do most shops just start using them or should I spend some time sanding it down to a perfect surface? Then is mineral oil an appropriate sealant or should I skip that step and start using? I'm sure to most commercial pizza shops it is just a tool but at home it has already become a conversation piece. I'm not sure if I should chase the authentic burnt and well used look or if I should finish it and try to make it look new forever.

Alex

Alex,

My wooden peel didnít have a rough texture when I purchased it, but I do sand it with fine sand paper sometimes.  I never used any mineral oil on my wooden peels. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Acres Away Woodworks

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 12:11:48 PM »
Hi all,

I know where you can get awesome pizza peels.  From me!  I make funky pizza paddles from various mixed hardwoods.  I also make funky rolling pins and end grain cutting boards.  Sorry for the self-serving plug but they are really nice and I can custom make peels for particular ovens and needs.  You can contact me directly or I have an eBay Store and an Etsy Store.

Cheers,

Neil Bosdet
Acres Away Woodworks

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »
Wow, those look great.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
Oops, I posted a link to my eBay store.  Violated the rules here.  Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Neil
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:28:47 PM by Acres Away Woodworks »

scott123

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »
Those are gorgeous peels, but, based on my own experience of using a finished peel vs. an unfinished one- the unfinished ones were always easier to use.  If it comes to down to looking good vs. less launching anxiety- I'm going with less launching anxiety every time.

Now, it's pretty enough that I might want to hang one on my wall as a decoration, but I don't think I'd ever use it.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 06:34:32 PM »
I only put a coat of mineral oil on my peels.  It brings out the grain and helps resist staining and water.  I've never had an issue with things sticking to it.  With all the oils and such that makes contact with peels, oiling them won't hurt their performance.  (IMO).  I've not had a complaint or feedback from a customer with any issues either.  However, if someone wants one of my peels unfinished, no problem.  All you have to do is ask.

Cheers,

Neil

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 11:30:13 PM »
I agree with Scott on a finished peel. When I got my peels the guy put a coat of mineral oil on them and for some reason the pizza's would always have a hard time coming off. Long story short I had to plain it down to a 1/4" and never oiled it again. It was just sanded with 1500grit. After that the pies came off WAY easier. Plus the more you use it the darker the peel gets and it gets that nice dark look.

pizzapan