Author Topic: Pizzeria Posto - Somerville, MA  (Read 1947 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Pizzeria Posto - Somerville, MA
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:16:05 PM »
Overall this is a great Neapolitan pizza restaurant. The atmosphere is bordering on fine dining, with excellent waitstaff and hosts, and excellent service. They have appetizers, pasta, main courses and about 12 different pizzas. Full bar and a some interesting cocktails. They even have a whole roast pig for large parties. Do not bother with the crispy pigs ears app - they tasted like hush puppies from Red Lobster: breading masking a limp, bland, sliver of pig ear. The salad underneath was far better. The charcuterie plate had house made salumi. The standout on that was the chicken liver mouse.

The Valoriani oven is pretty big. I saw them cooking 3 pizzas at once. It had a roaring fire all the way to the left. The bake times were 2 minutes on the nose for most of the pizzas I saw. The temp must have been in the high 700's I would guess. Maybe 800.

The dough looked to be highly hydrated, easily 65% or higher. They cut them out of the box, and gently caressed them open on the counter by rotating a few times. Then they gently draped them over their knuckles and let gravity open the skins. I could not believe how gentle they were with the dough.

We had the Verde, the Calabrese, Margarita and Salumi. The toppings were ham fisted and sloppy, and the overall appearance was not that pretty. But man did it taste good. The crumb was light, airy, soft and had that veneer of slight crispness on the outside. It was fully gelatinized with irregular holes. I could not get a good shot of it because it was so dark in there. Salt level was high 2%, probably 3%. The crumb was fragrant and rich. Much like a dough that has been fermented at room temp for many hours with cake yeast. The char was overpowering in spots.

Tomatoes and cheese were great. The cheese is made there, and it is not as creamy as I would have liked. It also browned a bit too much. The middle of the pie was just on the verge of being soupy.

Overall I was very impressed with the dough flavor and texture. The topping combinations were fine, if a bit tired, and they were overpowering. I wanted more balance. But this place is highly recommended. It is in Davis Square just outside Harvard Square/Porter Square.

http://pizzeriaposto.com/

John

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Pizzeria Posto - Somerville, MA
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 08:02:45 AM »
Thanks John! WOW dark yes :) pizza looks really nice. Is that Bacon on the second pie ?? yum Bacon.
do you think it was 100% 00 flour ?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
It looks like this place is definitely getting its act together.   I can't wait to try it again.    Last time I had it they had only been open a month or two.   They were doing 3.5 minute bakes with caputo and a starter and it just wasn't working at all.   I had written them off as another wannabe vpn place thats failing to make decent pizza because they have the wrong recipe and methodology for their (non neapolitan) oven.   I know they have ditched the starter and upped the hydration since those days.   Sounds like a pie I would really like now, so thanks for the review!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:53:34 AM by scott r »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:00:13 AM »
John - Yes, it was definitely 100% 00, probably Caputo. And I think it was pancetta on that one.

Scott - I went into the place with low expectations based on reviews when it first opened as well. I was really pleasantly surprised. I think only on my best days I could make a dough that well. I just wished they had the over temp up higher, lowered the hydration slightly, and cooked it for 90 seconds or less instead of 120.

John

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:14:34 AM »
aah, well still sounds great to me!   Im with you though....nothing worse than a crust thats too dry or too wet.   Why cant more places nail this easy to wrestle variable? 

I was thinking of you the other day.   I was consulting for a pizzeria with an italian fork mixer.   They hate neapolitan pizza and are using a totally different dough formulation, but I wanted to make NEO pies for my friends, so I did up a batch of 00 with no oil or sugar or other flours blended in.  It would have been terrible in their lower temp oven, so I took it all and ended up with something like 50 dough balls extra in my fridge!  I realized I need your phone number as I could have dropped some off on my way home (I was driving right by natick!!)    Send me a PM!     

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:29:13 PM »
My first impression looking at these pies was that they looked sloppy - as in hastily put together - especially the second one. It seems like I'm seeing this more and more, or maybe I'm just more sensitive to it now? What do you guys think? And, where is the line drawn between rustic and sloppy?

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:33:42 PM »
I agree Craig, maybe trying to hard to look artesanal?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:48:20 PM »
They got a PietroBerto fork mixer in July.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 01:49:51 PM »
I truly believe that the guys baking the pizzas were having a hard time with the high hydration dough. The owner was expediting the whole time we were there, and did not even walk over to the oven that much, so he was not overseeing the pie making operation at all.

I think if you understand balance, which these pies did not have, you have some sense of artistic aesthetic. In this case I don't think they really knew the difference - the opposite of trying to be artisanal.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
They got a PietroBerto fork mixer in July.

That is what I have heard too. It makes me want to get one!

John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 01:57:46 PM »
That is what I have heard too. It makes me want to get one!

John
You and me both. I was actually going to get one but things didn't happen.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.151977274850322.27319.125032660878117&type=3 about half way down its the second picture from the left. I think after they had the visit from the VPN guys is when they changed their entire recipe and work flow.

cornicione54

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:19:01 PM »
Great review John.
If all I had to go on were those pics - I'd have to say those pizzas look delicious. "Perfectly round tyre" cornicione pizzas with toppings distributed like someone took a ruler out to measure distances between basil leaves don't do it for me.
But maybe I'm being  a bit of a hypocrite since at least from a pizza-making standpoint, I don't really subscribe to the school of reverse engineering a pizza based on appearance (designer spots etc.).  
Anyway...those pies look great.  
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:20:41 PM by cornicione54 »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »
Great review John.
If all I had to go on were those pics - I'd have to say those pizzas look delicious. "Perfectly round tyre" cornicione pizzas with toppings distributed like someone took a ruler out to measure distances between basil leaves don't do it for me.
But maybe I'm being  a bit of a hypocrite since at least from a pizza-making standpoint, I don't really subscribe to the school of reverse engineering a pizza based on appearance (designer spots etc.).  
Anyway...those pies look great.  

And in the end, they tasted really, really good with a great texture. That is all that matters I guess when you put things into perspective.

John

parallei

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 06:41:40 PM »
And in the end, they tasted really, really good with a great texture. That is all that matters I guess when you put things into perspective.

Let's hear an "Amen" brother......

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 06:57:53 PM »
I have a question. 

I checked out the website...I was wondering, since they are VPN certified, or the site says they are.....how much control does VPN have on TOPPINGS??

i DON'T remember reading anywhere that they specify what can be a topping and what can't....but that seems CRAZY to me, as they strike me as VERY limiting on what a certified restaurant can do and what they can't do.

Thanks for any info.

buceriasdon

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
I agree that that taste and texture is important, that's a given, but after seeing the magnificent photos of artfully crafted with care pies by members of this community, by Bill, Craig,Chau, the Johns, Paul, well, the list goes on and on, to a sight challenged individual those pies might be wonderful, to me they seem pushed out with little regard to presentation. Just my opinon.
Don

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 07:05:39 PM »
Well, VPN certifies a pizzeria if they make the Magherita and the Marinara in the Neapolitan way, the other toppings are extras.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

cornicione54

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 03:52:51 PM »
I agree that that taste and texture is important, that's a given, but after seeing the magnificent photos of artfully crafted with care pies by members of this community, by Bill, Craig,Chau, the Johns, Paul, well, the list goes on and on, to a sight challenged individual those pies might be wonderful, to me they seem pushed out with little regard to presentation. Just my opinon.
Don

Zing! I guess I'll schedule an appointment for the optometrist.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:03:13 PM by cornicione54 »

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 07:49:56 PM »
I will say one thing....the ONE aspect of the pizza I had in Naples that I did NOT like was the irregular placement of toppings on the pies....I mean, every single pies toppings (the ones that HAD toppings) were uneven and unbalanced....I've seen the same thing on videos featuring NEA pies on utube.....I may be wrong but it seems that the "look" of the pizza is much more of a concern with pizza guys in the usa than Italy.

Again, please, just my opinion.  Maybe its because the pies there are not sliced, nor meant to  be shared for that matter.....

pizzapan