Author Topic: PieBar Atlanta  (Read 2027 times)

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
PieBar Atlanta
« on: August 18, 2005, 05:27:28 PM »
This place just opened a few weeks ago.  It's got a hip martini-bar atmosphere. It's in a building that used to be a bank, but looks like a 1960's designer fantasy (think Johnson Wax building by Frank Lloyd Wright). The bldg is round with a vaulted cieling. Pretty cool.

Lots of chic appetizers with sliced meats (soppersata, speck, capicola, etc), cheeses and other addendums. The place was packed.

For hanging out and having appetizers and drinks, this place is pretty cool. For chic toppings, like escargot, it's cool. But Atlanta still awaits a real pizza place.

PieBar has a wood burning brick oven, but it's open on 2 sides so everyone can see it. There goes all the heat. The chimney goes through the center of the vaulted ceiling. Looks cool. The pizzas have NO CRUST. They are on little flatbreads and the toppings go right to the very edge or even overhang the edge. The flatbreads are paper thin and a look like they have no yeast or leavening at all.

Oh well. They were tasty.  I had a margarita, and an escargot.  If you want a duck confit flatbread in a trendy spot, you've found the right place.  If you want NYC pizza in any old dive that will serve it (like me) the hunt continues.

Jeff

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
Re: PieBar Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 10:38:35 PM »
Did PieBar ever bill themselves as a NY style place?  Their oven actually is a Wood Stone oven with 4" thick floor and dome with an infra-red burner under the floor.  The oven is not losing any heat from the double openings as there is a huge thermal mass there.  Sounds like they are serving pizzas in the vein of PINCH in NYC and Seasons 52 in Fla. Both are very thin gourmet flatbread crackers.  Definitly not traditional NY style, although as I said, they never said they were.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: PieBar Atlanta
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 01:01:59 PM »
You are right they don't bill themselves as NY or Neopolitan pie. I'm just still hoping to see one one day.

Regardless of the mass, the wide open doors on both sides do  let most of the heat out. There are 2 opening that are 1' x 5' each or maybe even bigger.