Author Topic: Mini calzone a la soup dumplings  (Read 3048 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Mini calzone a la soup dumplings
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »
Here's something I was messing around with yesterday. It's a 35g mini dough ball stuffed and tied with a string into a tiny little calzone (I'd say pizza pocket, but that brings up images that make me shutter). This particular one was stuffed with buffalo mozzarella, a Calabrian chile, and parsley. Other were stuffed with buffalo mozz and sausage. Some were stuffed with garlic butter. I threw them in the oven at 450F, but when they were not moving along fast enough, I threw them in the WFO. That sped them up...

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Mini calzone a la soup dumplings
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:34:07 PM »
Shut the garage door.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 08:34:39 PM »
Those look great.  Reminds me of Gino's pizza rolls but better.   :P

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 08:36:12 PM »
What I really want to make along this line is a garlic butter one that is like a soup dumpling at Joe's Shanghai on Pell St., Chinatown, NYC. If you've never had a soup dumpling, get yourself there next time you're in NYC. They are like a regular dumpling with a pork meatball inside, but in addition to the meatball, they also have a spoonful of the richest soup broth you've ever tasted. It has so much gelatin that after it cools, you can pick up your plate with the coating on the back of the spoon. Basically, you lift the dumpling out of the bamboo steamer with a little tongs, hold it over your spoon, and tear a hole it it with your chopsticks so the soup can empty into your spoon. You drink the soup then eat the dumpling with the dipping sauce they give you. You want to talk about haunting your dreams. These little guys will do it.

In any case, my thought was to make a "garlic knot" that was much the same - open it up and rich garlic gutter comes flowing out that you can dip the bread. I mixed ground garlic into butter, rolled it up in plastic, and let it get cold. I then put a piece of butter and a little parsley on the dough and tied it up. I think this will work, but...

Putting them into the regular oven was a mistake. It gave too much time for the butter to work its way through the dough. Next time, I'm going with the WFO only. I don't think the butter will be able to escape in 60 seconds.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:40:27 PM »
Very tasty, but all the butter escaped. Next time, the WFO!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline hammettjr

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 10:20:18 PM »
Wow, amazing idea! Those dumplings are great and I can imagine what a garlic butter version would be like. I look forward to seeing more pictures!

Matt

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:20:43 AM »
I did the same thing this weekend, a la Milo and Olive in Santa Monica...I used 60g dough balls and filled them each with 8-10 cloves of garlic confit, thyme, and a dry Sardinian cheese, Misto Classico.

I tied them up, brushed the outside with the oil from the garlic confit, and sprinkled sea salt on them.

Baked at 500 for 12 minutes...I made four and they were gone in minutes. I surely had to brush my teeth and use some mouthwash afterwards.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »
WHY did I not see this until today??  I had the WFO going Sunday and I soooooo would have tried this - those look amazing!  Is that your normal dough?  It looks so different evenly browned instead of light + char.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 02:56:35 PM »
Yes, it is my normal dough, but I brushed it with EVOO and threw it in the oven. When it was not progressing fast enough, I put it in the WFO. That sped things up!

Next time, I'm going to brush with oil and go straight to the WFO.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 08:46:10 PM »
GTFOH....nothing less than stoopid!

Great idea and execution Craig.

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

pizzapan