Author Topic: Shakey's 2012  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Shakey's 2012
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »
It has been a year since the 2011 run.  I made a stop at Shakey's, (location not specified) and got a "same day" dough pizza.  It had less bubbles than what I had last time.  Either the oven operators don't have the same guidelines, from location to location, or the method of preperation (flour/hydration/sheeting/docking/cutting/fridgerating) is different from place to place.  This crust is about 2 credit cards thick, I think it needs some salt and or more time proofing.  Sorry for the blurry last pictures, I was on the phone and traffic was heavy.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Shakey's 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:52:43 PM »
I used to have my insurance with those guys. Don't need it any more now that I have a personal security detail.  :-D

CL
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:27:43 PM by TXCraig1 »
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Zing

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 01:23:13 AM »
To this day, there is still quite a bit of store-to-store variation at Shakey's. The last samples I have were baked in a conveyor oven, have no corn meal on the bottom, and have quite a few bubbles. The entire bottom is the same color brown, no bits of light and black. This from a corporate-owned store in Southern California.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:37:58 AM »
I had no idea they made their own dough in store.  I used to go to Shakey's as a kid since it was so close to the house.  I recall back then they had shells were pre-made from the factory I thought.  I recall seeing them take the shells out of a refridge or something and making the pizza from the shells.  But now from reading Jet's description sounds like they make the dough themselves now. Do they have a press to press out the "shell"?

I go to Shakey's once in awhile for the buffet but hardly ever go to get a whole pizza by itself.  Sometimes I do though, maybe once every few years.  The crust taste too much like flour.  Like I just ate a scoop of flour instead of eating pizza crust.  Maybe that's just me.

The Mojos have gone down hill.  They certainly don't taste anything like they used to.  They changed the formula/recipe. Not good to do. The old way was the best way.

Zing mentions a conveyor belt. The one I go to now and then have a deck oven.  Probably the same one since I was a kid and the same one since they opened the place before I was born.  Still live near the same Shakey's since I was a kid.

James

Offline Zing

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:56:53 AM »
PE101,
Yes, they do make the dough in the store. There are many accounts by people who used to work at Shakey's how they make the skins in the various threads on Shakey's in this forum and the Cracker Crust forum. They do use a sheeter and a cutter pan to make the skins (shells) and the skins are made a short time in advance of when they will be used.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:02:15 AM »
PE101,
Yes, they do make the dough in the store. There are many accounts by people who used to work at Shakey's how they make the skins in the various threads on Shakey's in this forum and the Cracker Crust forum. They do use a sheeter and a cutter pan to make the skins (shells) and the skins are made a short time in advance of when they will be used.

Zing I wonder when I was a kid when I saw the skins taken out of the fridge or whatever that was that they made them well in advance in store and taken out when needed as you mention or if when I was a kid if they came made at a central location then delivered to each restaurant site.  I know now they make them in store because you mention that but I wonder about the old days when I was a kid.

Offline Zing

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 03:34:20 PM »
PE101, you didn't mention the area you grew up in. I have never heard of a central commissary supplying ready-made skins in all my years of following Shakey's. But, it may jog the memory of others if you indicate the general area you are at. There could have been a Shakey's area franchisee who ran a commissary.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 02:52:56 AM »
PE101, you didn't mention the area you grew up in. I have never heard of a central commissary supplying ready-made skins in all my years of following Shakey's. But, it may jog the memory of others if you indicate the general area you are at. There could have been a Shakey's area franchisee who ran a commissary.

I grew up in the San Gabriel area of Los Angeles County, California.  It's just about 10 miles east from downtown LA.  In one of the near cities was the Shakey's Pizza headquarters or one of their corporate offices and maybe supply warehouses.  I think it was a central commissary.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 06:49:02 PM »
This is the rest of the Story...

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 06:50:57 PM »
more:

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 10:18:01 PM »
Thanks for posting those pics, Jet.

The one I found most interesting was the photo of the sauce ingredients.  I could swear I am tasting more onion powder than garlic powder from my last two trips to Shakey's this year, but the list seems to indicate that garlic powder is in a greater quantity than onion (dehydrated).  I also detect some amount of heat, like a red/chili pepper flavor, which I assume is the "spice" in the spice blend.  The other thing I notice from the Shakey's sauce is its sweetness, which seems more borne out by the ingredients: Dextrose being the main ingredient in the spice blend, and then a small amount of sugar listed later.  Great find.   :chef:

Danke,

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 12:22:05 AM »
I know this sounds silly, but would equal amounts of onion powder, and garlic powder give the equal same test perception?  What if it is a super, super, super garlic powder?  Really.?

Your welcome for posting the pics, I just wanted to make sure the pizza s.w.a.t. team wasn't following me. :-D :chef:

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
I know this sounds silly, but would equal amounts of onion powder, and garlic powder give the equal same test perception?  What if it is a super, super, super garlic powder?  Really.?

Your welcome for posting the pics, I just wanted to make sure the pizza s.w.a.t. team wasn't following me. :-D :chef:

Not in my experience..No...the garlic wins, but if onion extracts were used then it's a resoudning Yes.
If toasted deydrated onion or onion powdered was used then the answer is also Yes, but usually the ingredients will list if it's toasted.
I have only seen McCormick food service spices in Modern Shakeys.

Also I wanted to mention that when I visited Shakey's in Southern California, the cornmeal was also IN the dough. I tore the layers apart and took some pics, but they tuned out bit grainy. But I could post them if you guys thnk it will help.

I was not happy with ANY of the food I had there, so it may not be the best example.

Hope this helps.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »
Jet_deck, Do you recall if the store where you took the photos used a deck or conveyor?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 04:51:28 PM »
Deck

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »
Deck

I could tell just from how well cooked the pizza looked, both top and bottom.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 10:45:24 PM »
I could tell just from how well cooked the pizza looked, both top and bottom.

I would be willing to bet that it is the original oven.  A big black tank looking oven.  Door open, door closed-- didn't seem to change the bake time.

But, still tasteless imo.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 11:47:14 PM »
But, still tasteless imo.

So did the pie have that trademark Shakey's taste and smell? Or were they using some cheaper formulation by using their own yeast? Have you been to other Shakey's restaurants and was it the same or different?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 11:57:39 PM »
So did the pie have that trademark Shakey's taste and smell?

DNA, I don't have any experience to give you that answer.  Shakey's is not something I had ever had before joining the forum.  I have had them 3 maybe 4 times in my life, I don't know the smell.  I enjoy just adding to stuff that I find when I travel.

You give me a 1976 Pizza Hut thin, dough made in store, sheeted in store.  That is my light at the end of the pizza tunnel.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 12:17:01 AM »
You give me a 1976 Pizza Hut thin, dough made in store, sheeted in store.  That is my light at the end of the pizza tunnel.

Wow. PH of today is so far removed from that. You've got your work cut out for you.

pizzapan