Author Topic: Problems with DKM Thin Crust  (Read 2520 times)

Offline JamesOz

• I Love Pizza!
Problems with DKM Thin Crust
« on: August 18, 2005, 09:27:58 PM »
Still having problems with the thin cracker crust.

Followed recipe to the letter and ended up with a dry flakey mess(even after 24 hours in bowl).Used a bit more water,which made it look better but took 20 minutes of hard grunt to roll it out.Used even more water and it rolled out fine but was too dough after baking.

I think this could be because living in Australia we have slightly different fluid and spoon measures than you guys.Can anyone give me exact measurements that could help???? or any other ideas????

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: Problems with DKM Thin Crust
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 09:59:08 PM »
James are you weighing the ingredants?  This recipe needs to have the flour and water weighed.

This might help.
1 militers = 1/5 teaspoon
5 ml = 1 teaspoon
15 ml = 1 tablespoon
30 ml = 1 fluid oz.
100 ml = 3.4 fluid oz.
240 ml = 1 cup

Randy
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 10:05:10 PM by Randy »

Offline JamesOz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 06:11:45 PM »
Thanks Randy for the measurements.It turns out,for example,our tablespoon measure is 20ml whereas yours is 15ml......so that is probably part of my problem.I weigh the flour but not the water but will start doing that now.

My sister in Tampa Florida is sending me some USA cup/spoon measures so that should get me on the way to some delicious pizzas.

One last question.Letting the dough stand at room temperature for 24 hours.....its our winter here so as I am out most of the day that temperature is only about 13degC(also all night).I always thought room temp. was around 20/21 degC.Would that make a difference??

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 12:05:04 PM »
James it still should work just fine.  It was 35C here yesterday with 60% humidity so it was a bad day to be outside.  The air air was so thick you could cut it.

Randy
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 12:57:14 PM by Randy »

Offline JamesOz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 07:02:19 PM »
Thanks again.....will get cracking(excuse the pun) on some pizzas.

Offline JamesOz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 07:54:15 PM »
FINALLY made a perfect "cracker" style pizza.........got caught with one last measurement.Our cookbooks in Oz say one pound of flour equals 500 grams.It doesnt......it is 454 grams.

So thanks Randy , DKM and everyone else who contributes to this wonderfull site as I am now eating great pizza.