Author Topic: Who has a recipe for Pizza di Sfrigole?  (Read 1733 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Pizza is not bread.

parallei

Re: Who has a recipe for Pizza di Sfrigole?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »
http://turismo.egov.regione.abruzzo.it/web/guest/scoprilabruzzo/isapori/paneepizza/pizzaconsfigole

Enough to get you going......try it with the no-knead pizza bianca dough

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »
Craig,
From what I found, here is a little more info about this pizza/flat bread https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:BATADmPJptEJ:www.enotecaregionale.abruzzo.it/IT/i-prodotti/e-book/Paste.pdf+ricetta+Pizza+Sfrigole&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjN8bUCdPHP61ilup1dpIxOLDoMNpI00ZBOm4Ekeo2NTC4YVMwxQkjFiftwC2UKUvemTjohFNPWGcITSOwVzmRcpGINM4WvWMprGr1l6EV-s1Q7ohoPYdcuqgBToYREZcKebKgQ&sig=AHIEtbRMxgx7l8WuztTSluLPbH_3FTKEdA

As well as a recipe to follow: http://www.cookaround.com/cucina-regionale/molise/pizze-e-altri-prodotti-da-forno/pizza-con-pezzetti-di-ciccioli
This recipe is not from Abruzzo, but the province just south of it. It seems to be similar enough to get you started

Ingredients: 500g of flour, 10 grams of yeast, 200 g of lard, and just enough water (whatever that means, I love how specific Italian recipes can be).
Put the flour on cutting board, add the yeast which has been dissolved in warm salted water, add in the rest of the water (???) and mix well. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with a cloth and let rise for about two hours in a warm place. When risen, mix in the lard until well incorporated, stretch thin and place in a greased baking pan. Cook at 200 C for 30 mins.

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 08:49:09 PM »
http://turismo.egov.regione.abruzzo.it/web/guest/scoprilabruzzo/isapori/paneepizza/pizzaconsfigole

Enough to get you going......try it with the no-knead pizza bianca dough

Wow, memories. When I was young, 1940's, we made  our own lard. Those left over bits of meat were baked in a bread. The name I remember was closer to zuffricul, as mentioned in your link. I believe it had the usual regional hack job and to me it sounded like zoofreet. Anyway, it was treat and I really can't begin to describe how wonderful it was. I will also add that that was before we leaned out out pigs and turned pork into the other white meat.
Marty

parallei

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:32 PM »
Fatback........that is what I'd try.  Render it down.

Offline David Deas

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 10:44:18 PM »
Butter has replaced lard.  

I've been browsing the Neapolitan forum long enough and have not seen one single Mastunicola.  It's a God damn shame.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:51:14 PM »
Maybe I'll make one on Sunday.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 11:13:54 PM »
I'm not sure how difficult or easy this would be to make, but if I was doing it....

I would render bacon fat and and maybe don't fry the bacon so crispy.  It looks to me like a thick pie crust with lard and pig bits.   So I would treat it as such.  Make a pie crust with bacon fat and bits and roll it out a bit thicker than normal.  I'm positive it would be close. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 11:30:49 PM »
I'm not sure how difficult or easy this would be to make, but if I was doing it....

I would render bacon fat and and maybe don't fry the bacon so crispy.  It looks to me like a thick pie crust with lard and pig bits.   So I would treat it as such.  Make a pie crust with bacon fat and bits and roll it out a bit thicker than normal.  I'm positive it would be close. 

I was thinking chicharones.
Pizza is not bread.

parallei

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 11:38:56 PM »
Typically, lard isn't smoked like bacon.  The lardo I've had in Italy has been cured with spices.  However, I think this is a more rustic dish, also lardo is expensive.  A thickish pizza dough is what I get from the two Abruzzo links.  Fat back would produce "cracklings".  I think we're talking your basic bread, fat and salt here.  Always a winner.

Wow, memories. When I was young, 1940's, we made  our own lard. Those left over bits of meat were baked in a bread. The name I remember was closer to zuffricul, as mentioned in your link. I believe it had the usual regional hack job and to me it sounded like zoofreet. Anyway, it was treat and I really can't begin to describe how wonderful it was. I will also add that that was before we leaned out out pigs and turned pork into the other white meat.
Marty

Sound good Marty!  Go for it......

pizzapan