Author Topic: cooking ny style on grill  (Read 683 times)

Offline bbqman

cooking ny style on grill
« on: January 24, 2012, 05:27:41 PM »
i really enjoy grilling so I was wondering what is a good ny style recipe that would be good for grill and oven. also i use a pizza screen had unglazed stones but moved and lost them so right now i picked up a screen. can you cook with them on a grill. are they just as good as a stone. thanks yall

Online gfgman

Re: cooking ny style on grill
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »
I've done grilled pizzas a number of times.  I made a bunch of dough balls to take camping last year, and made some white pies with fresh tomato, and some margherita type pies with san marzano tomatoes straight from the can.  I use a portable grill with a cast iron grate. The spacing is small enough that I can brush on some olive oil and drop the dough right on the grate.  You could use a screen, though if the spacing is really wide.  I usually brown one side, then remove and flip it over, top it, and put it back on.  Works very well.  I made smaller dough balls, and they lasted all week in my cooler. 
I use some semolina in my dough, which makes it less sticky.  I can put the dough ball in a ziploc bag without any flour or oil.  I just rip the bag along the seam and it separates easily from the dough.  I had everything ready to go in my cooler, and it was so fast and easy to throw a pizza on the grill whenever we were hungry. 

pizzapan