Author Topic: First Lehmann attempt  (Read 1168 times)

Offline censored

First Lehmann attempt
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:49:03 PM »
So I put my first Lehmann (thanks Don for the calculator links, helped me get started) together yesterday, and had been asking some questions over on the noob forum (thanks Norma for your help over there).

I put the dough together last night a 6:30 p.m. and took it out of the fridge today about 2 hours before bake, then had the first one in the oven at about 3:30 p.m.

I used this formula for two 14" pies at .10 thickness.

550g KA Bread Flour
348g Water
4g ADY
10g Salt
6g Vegtable Oil
6g Sugar

I did 300g Water and 300g Flour in a 20 minute autolyse.

I then activated the yeast in the remaining water and the sugar for 10 minutes (sorry couldn't get a water temp as thermometer was in last night's dinner).

I then added the water/yeast/sugar combo into the autolyse portion, and mixed in the remaining flour, salt and oil.

I kneaded for 6 minutes on a Kitchen Aid stand mixer on 2, then another 2 minutes on 4.

I then hand kneaded for 45 seconds and split the dough into balls and put them in the fridge. (sorry don't have a final dough temp).

Today I baked for 6 minutes at 550 on a stone that had been warming about 45 minutes on the second to last shelf.

Overall, I am very happy with the results. Everyone loved the pie. The crust turned out really well, but the exposed portion on the top was just a little whiter than I would have hoped for. I was using all bread flour in shaping, so I think next time I will try semolina.

Sorry if some of this is a repeat from the noob thread, just thought I might get some more exposure for feedback here, and also wanted a thread to be able to update my progress.

Thanks,

Jeff

buceriasdon

Re: First Lehmann attempt
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 08:46:06 PM »
Very nice first effort, I'm sure others enjoyed the pizzas very much. I know I would. The bottom shot looks good ,perhaps you could raise the stone up some for more top color. Later as you get better at opening and stretching your skins I might suggest dialing back you thickness factor a wee bit, unless your happy with the thickness presently. After all it is your pizza.
Don
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:49:21 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline censored

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 08:56:35 PM »
Thanks Don! I do want to go thinner, but my wife likes thick crust, but I am going to go thinner and a longer ferment next. Thanks for the advice on the stone location too. I was using the Costco pizza blend which is a part skim. It was the first time using that cheese, and it had a good flavor but it started to brown a lot quicker than the Trader Joes mozz I have been using. I am going to go back to that cheese along with a couple other tweaks for next time.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 10:06:45 PM »
Jeff,

Very nice first effort!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 12:32:02 AM »
Looks tasty and good work! Excited to see your continued attempts. Didn't scrimp on these cheese did ya! hhaha

Jeff

Offline censored

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 12:54:26 AM »
Thanks Norma, thanks Jeff. Yes, we are cheese pizza eaters through and through.  :chef:

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 06:21:07 AM »
My suggestion about working towards a thinner crust had to do with the style you posted this under, New York. As an American style it would be fine, New York, no.
Don

Offline censored

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 12:59:05 AM »
Third attempt today for the Super Bowl. Made 3 14" Lehmanns at a .102 thickness. These fermented for 2 days and were the best ones yet!

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 07:40:30 AM »
And it shows ;D

Third attempt today for the Super Bowl. Made 3 14" Lehmanns at a .102 thickness. These fermented for 2 days and were the best ones yet!

Offline censored

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 11:20:30 AM »
Thanks Don!

Offline franko9752

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 04:34:03 PM »
I agree, good 1st attempt and better 2nd attempt. My 1st pies were on the thick side too but after practice they are .105 or thinner.

pizzapan