Author Topic: Cold retard sourdough first or last?  (Read 6250 times)

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
Re: Cold retard sourdough first or last?
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 10:30:01 AM »
John, I had a feeling in my gut that matches your conclusions. Thanks so much for sharing that, truly. It totally makes sense.

I do wonder of those that have had both, which they prefer, the Mozza crust or the UPN crust. Seems like the pizza crust as bread approach has at least some value.

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
Re: Cold retard sourdough first or last?
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 01:43:54 PM »
Well, I made my first round pies in quite some time (since going through most of Tartine -- even making great pure sourdough English muffins) and I mostly went back to what worked for me in the past, but with some consideration of what I have learned since digging into bread. Pretty happy with the results and hope to share some pics soon. At the moment I am working on a "Mozza" "clone". Got really positive feedback on the taste of the crust and getting some great rise as well. i mention the Mozza thing because using more unique doughs allows me to still scratch some of the urges I get for making bread, but I am handling the dough more as it should be for pizza (one long stage over two mostly).

(As you guys know) in the end good results mostly come from managing fermentation well more than any fancy equipment or ingredients one might have. If I focus on that the most, I know my results will be stronger.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in on this thread -- it has truly been immensely helpful:)! I hated the feeling that my pizza had suffered at the hand of my bread.