Author Topic: A couple of pans  (Read 1137 times)

Offline carter

A couple of pans
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »
I have a stone that I like, but I would like to get a couple of pans.  Let me know what you'll think of these 2.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/american-metalcraft-28714-14-mega-pizza-screen/12428714.html

and

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/12-x-2-deep-dish-pizza-pan/419TP12.html

I am a newbie so any advice you can give would be great.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: A couple of pans
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:57:56 AM »
carter,

It sounds like you are looking to use the screen and pan for home use, possibly in a standard home oven. If so, you might do better to look into dark anodized versions of the screen and pan as opposed to the aluminum screen and pan, both of which would require seasoning to be most effective. Until well seasoned, aluminum tends to reflect heat rather than absorb it, making it more difficult to achieve the best bake and crust coloration.

Peter

Offline carter

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 11:01:30 AM »
So something like the have on pizzatools.com. The PSTK finished versions.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:18:51 AM »
So something like the have on pizzatools.com. The PSTK finished versions.

carter,

Yes. The screen you referenced (actually more like a perforated disk) is designed mainly for use in conveyor ovens and is replacing the standard mesh type screens. Papa John's, for example, has been moving away from the mesh type screens to the dark anodized perforated disks. You can see an example at Reply 242 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg123186.html#msg123186. Costco also uses perforated disks in its food courts but they are not of the dark anodized type. They are very well seasoned aluminum perforated disks. The dark anodized products tend to be quite expensive, so you should keep that in mind, especially since you might not get the results you are hoping for in your home oven. Those disks were not designed for standard home ovens. For home oven use, you might just do fine using the old-fashioned mesh type screens.

Peter

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »
You can "quick season" screens. Put a coat of cooking oil on them and put them on your outdoor barbecue grill. They will come out nice and brown. Don't do this inside because it will smoke up your house and probably set off smoke detectors.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:44:35 PM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 03:22:17 PM »
It looks like Round Table is now using the perforated dark anodized disks with its conveyor ovens, as can be seen in the video at .

Peter

pizzapan