Author Topic: Yeast.....CY, ADY, IDY, Sourdough  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Craiggy83

Yeast.....CY, ADY, IDY, Sourdough
« on: February 03, 2012, 11:03:56 AM »
Hey Guys,

It's been a while since I've last posted.  I've been messing around with the Tartine bread book, making some awesome breads :).  Recently, I have acquired a 22.5" Weber grill from work, and plan on converting it to an LBE similar to Mmmmph's.  I decided to start this yeast thread, so that we could share in our experiences regarding the different types of yeast available.  Lately I have been making bread using the Tartine method with a sourdough culture.  I was hoping to give pizza another try, but thought it may be best to use a different type of yeast to limit the problems that will be encountered.  Below I have listed a basic recipe for Neapolitan pizza with CY and sourdough.  I was wondering if you guys could comment on how much yeast you would use as a percentage in the case of CY, ADY, IDY, and sourdough.  I realize that temperature and humidity effect the amount of yeast you use.  Lets say the temperature in the room is 65-69 degrees.  What amounts of yeast would you suggest, and what would your ferment times look like?  I realize a lot of this is learned from experience, but I believe people could get a solid start if they had a baseline to start with. 

Caputo / KABF
Courtesy of TXCraig1 using Sourdough
100% Flour
62% Water
1.5-1.7% Culture
2.9-3.0% Salt
>=24 hours bulk ferment at room temp
6-8 hours balled ferment at room temp

Mmmmph - longer ferment (Posted in February)
100% Flour
63% Water
.5% CY     
2.3% Salt   
3 hour room temp bulk rise
60 hours in fridge (accident)
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13057.0.html

Do you guys agree with these %'s or would you make changes?  I'm looking for % for CY and Sourdough. What would you use for bulk, and ball ferment times.  Also if you have experience with ADY/IDY could you post your results?  I feel that this could be beneficial as well if someone was rushed for time.  They may be able to use CY, or ADY, and get pizza ready for cooking a lot quicker then using sourdough.  Thoughts?

Thanks guys for all the help,

~Craig

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Yeast.....CY, ADY, IDY, Sourdough
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »
I think you're in the ballpark with the sourdough (I can't comment on the CY). Maybe go a little lower (1.2-1.3%). I'd error on the low side. It's easier to use the oven with the light on to kick the temp up to 80-85F or so to speed things up at the end if necessary then it is to slow them down with the fridge. I'd rather have my yeast getting more active rather than less active just before I bake. I'd also rather work with a warm dough than a cold dough.

At 1.5% culture. I think you'll probably see some amount of rise after 24 hours bulk at 69F. As you know, I use about 1.5% then 36 hours at 60F. The yeast in sourdough will probably be about 2X as active at 69F than at 60F. 

If you want to try 1.5%, I don't think it is an unreasonable place to start, but keep an eye on things so you can take action if they are progressing too fast.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 12:44:37 PM »
In regards to the CY, if you wanted to do all room temp, this is a good starting point for 24 + 6 at 70 degrees:

100% Flour
60% Water
.075% CY     
2.8% Salt

John

Offline Craiggy83

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:50:16 PM »
John,

.075% is nothing.  If you make a small batch say 500gr. flour that .375 grams of CY.  Does the dough still rise lol?

~Craig

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 12:53:58 AM »
John,

.075% is nothing.  If you make a small batch say 500gr. flour that .375 grams of CY.  Does the dough still rise lol?

~Craig

Yes, it does.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12606.0.html

John

pizzapan