Author Topic: Fed's raid local Grimaldi's  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: Fed's raid local Grimaldi's
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 01:03:19 AM »
What a surprise!
 :-D

Just about Every restaurant,deli,pizza shop,motel,maid service,construction,landscaping services/companies,etc. out there all hire Illegals.Green cards or not.

Are they going to go after all of them across the country? Theres a few million of them living Illegally in the USA.They have work someplace so they stay.As long as greedy American Business owners provide them cash jobs,they are here to stay and work.

Watch a video on youtube for Grimaldi's in NY,and one cannot help but wonder if the workers in the video are Legal or not.

-Bill

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 07:04:03 AM »
where I worked I am quite sure everyone was on the books.

I am just curious.. what does someone who is illegal get paid if minimum wage isn't a living wage to begin with.  do they get paid roughly minimum wage just off the books so no taxes are being paid on either side?
Patrick

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 08:04:03 AM »
.... do they get paid roughly minimum wage just off the books so no taxes are being paid on either side?

I would guess that they would be paid quite well on the books.  The manager was probably cashing their checks every week and taking his cut, for the services (papers) provided.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Tman1

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 11:23:30 AM »
What a surprise!
 :-D

Just about Every restaurant,deli,pizza shop,motel,maid service,construction,landscaping services/companies,etc. out there all hire Illegals.Green cards or not.

Are they going to go after all of them across the country? Theres a few million of them living Illegally in the USA.They have work someplace so they stay.As long as greedy American Business owners provide them cash jobs,they are here to stay and work.

Watch a video on youtube for Grimaldi's in NY,and one cannot help but wonder if the workers in the video are Legal or not.

Perhaps if the local teenagers were actually willing to work instead of feeling entitled to a higher paying job 'greedy' business owners wouldn't have to resort to hiring illegals. I'm not for illegals working, but do know there are a lot of teens out there who feel a job at the local McD's is beneath them... and I'm tired of 'business owners' always being referred to as greedy. They ARE in it to make money too.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 01:00:56 PM »

Perhaps if the local teenagers were actually willing to work instead of feeling entitled to a higher paying job 'greedy' business owners wouldn't have to resort to hiring illegals. I'm not for illegals working, but do know there are a lot of teens out there who feel a job at the local McD's is beneath them... and I'm tired of 'business owners' always being referred to as greedy. They ARE in it to make money too.

I'm tired of greedy Business owners hiring Illegals and using the cop out that American kids do not wan't to work.It is still Illegal to employ Illegals.

I'm all for Businesses to make money LEGALLY.The right to make a Profit,Legally.
 8)

Around here,our town is FILLED with fast food chains.Guess who works there? HS and College students.The older adults I see are usually the managers.I don't doubt there are plenty of Teens that will not work and feel those jobs are beneath them,but where I live,it is not the case.

I have nothing against Illegals trying for a better life.The problem is,as long as there are jobs for them,they will stay.I do feel bad for those that do work and get ripped off by their Bosses,It happens all the time.A guy(Greedy business owner) I knew years back ran a Landscaping company and would only hire/pick up Illegals everyday from the street corner,to pay them a low cash wage.He made a fortune off their hard work.

-Bill

Offline elephant man

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »
I went to Lombardi's last summer in Little Italy and was going to get in line and try a pizza. There were about 6 workers standing on the sidewalk on break and I lost my appetite. For the prices these people charge, they can do better.

Offline namssalg

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 01:19:01 PM »
where I worked I am quite sure everyone was on the books.

I am just curious.. what does someone who is illegal get paid if minimum wage isn't a living wage to begin with.  do they get paid roughly minimum wage just off the books so no taxes are being paid on either side?

I dont know how the pizza business does it.
I'm in construction and the illegals say they are sub-contractors. They show the right papers, get paid cash. The people that hire them say they didnt know they were illegal and the illegals disappear. In construction they get a good enough wage to live on. When you dont pay taxes, insurance and license fees, the lower pay is good. 

As for the business owners being greedy. In construction a lot of the smaller guys say they can't compete with the cheap labor costs of the guys hiring illegals. More like the business owners have lower morals. Ive also heard the people hiring the companies that use illegal labor say that they were pretty sure the labor was illegal but got the job done at a lower price than competing contractors so they overlooked the illegal labor. So who really is to blame?

Offline mintedllama

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 03:05:16 AM »
Generally the GM's or owners don't know the illegals are illegal because they show the proper documents (ID card or drivers license easily attainable and a perfect social security card copy with their name and fake number on it). So to say that there checks are cashed and the greedy owners take a cut is kind of silly. I'm sure it might happen somewhere, but how illegals help each other and keep each other updated on the techniques I even find it hard to believe that someone would be dumb enough to not know where to get a fake SS card and get a job the legit way. They hire these people because they usually work their butts off because they are extremely greatful

I have had teen employees employed that were illegal that I had no idea about, and neither did they. They were brought over as babies and their parents never told them they weren't US citizens.  Really horrible to grow up as an american, graduate high school, have your life ahead of you and you find out because of your illegal status you aren't a 'real' person and your options in life become almost zero. And they have zero chance to legally gain status because they entered the country illegally. They have to be deported in order to have their case heard in a Mexican court and 95% of all cases are denied (in only extreme cases are they allowed to gain legal status, children or even marriage won't get them accepted), and they are stuck in Mexico, which of course to them is a foreign country. And the estimate of children like this is around 13 million.

Anyway, i'm going off on a tangent here, lets just say I was a hardcore 'build a fence and throw them all out' guy until I was smack dab in the middle of the humanity of it all, not so much the older people but these kids that came over and were only victims of their parents poor decisions and nothing more. The problem runs a lot deeper than probably most realize, hopefully the DREAM act will pass one of these years and allow these kids to go to school and earn their legal status. Until then, to protect yourself against 'raids' you can use the governments free program to check new employees SS number to make sure they are legit. It is becoming mandatory in some states.

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 10:31:13 PM »
I dont know how the pizza business does it.
I'm in construction and the illegals say they are sub-contractors. They show the right papers, get paid cash. The people that hire them say they didnt know they were illegal and the illegals disappear. In construction they get a good enough wage to live on. When you dont pay taxes, insurance and license fees, the lower pay is good. 

If they're playing the subcontractor game, those hiring should worry more about the IRS as opposed to the ICE.
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"