Author Topic: Beer  (Read 6616 times)

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
Beer
« on: August 21, 2005, 01:23:51 AM »
I'm curious, for those of you who imbibe what is your favorite beer?  Beer has been called "liquid bread", so perhaps we should take some creative license and call it "liquid pizza".

and P.S. I'm currently unemployed in my occupation of "brewer".
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 01:25:38 AM by PizzaBrewer »
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Tom Grim

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Beer
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 10:47:34 AM »
My all around favorite beer is Sierra Nevada.  Started by two 15 yr old kids that couldn't buy beer, but could buy the ingredients to make beer.  It is now the 9th largest brewery in the country.

I have made beer on a few occasions.   Pizza, beer, bread.  All require yeast and patience and a great deal of dedication. 

I think a wood fired pizza place combined with a brew pub would be an awesome combination.  Great Beer and Great Pizza under the same roof.   What could be better?

Offline Sour_Jax

• You've been weighed, measured and found kneading.
    • SourJax Creations Studio
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 07:10:15 PM »
Personally, Pete's Wicked Red Rush,  :'( which is no longer in production  :'( was my favorite. Since then SweetWater's Exodus Porter has taken the no. 1 spot.

Of course I perfer my own Carolina Honey Red  ;D over all other beers.
The best things in life are free! Salvation being the greatest!

Give a man a pizza, he'll be happy for a day.
Teach him to make pizza, he'll be happy for a lifetime.

visit
www.handbookforlife.com
www.SourJax.net

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 09:10:13 PM »
Harp Lager. From the makers of Guiness

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 11:11:38 AM »
Bud Dry is my favorite beer. It's getting harder to find.

Offline T-Man

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 03:52:41 PM »
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.  Just finished one.

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 12:12:04 AM »
I can't drink beer anymore because I will have a gout outbreak. I hate you all!!   ;D

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 08:53:10 PM »
Moosehead! Soo incredibly smooth and refreshing. Haven't seen it around much, but had one last Friday with my pizza at the Yard House in San Deigo. Ahh! ;D
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 02:34:29 AM »
Moosehead! Soo incredibly smooth and refreshing. Haven't seen it around much, but had one last Friday with my pizza at the Yard House in San Deigo. Ahh! ;D

I agree Moosehead is a fine beer, probably my favorite of the large Canadian brands.

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 10:25:39 PM »
I'm an all grain brewer, make lots of beer each month, but have never tried it in pizza.  I am however usually always drinking a pint or 3 when I'm making pizza.   ;D

Here's a picture of a Hoegaarden clone I made.  It's been in the keg for just over a month.  Ahhh gooood  ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 10:41:40 PM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 02:37:03 PM »
I found the Moosehead !!!!

Last night it made the most incredable pizza (dough and sauce). This will remain our family's favorite! The crust texture and the depth of flavor through-out  the whole pizza literally brought tears to my DH's eyes. Family and guests couldn't stop exclaiming about it, and I think I "Mmm'ed" and "OMG'd" throughtout every bite. I'm still in shock over the results. I've been making pizza for soo long, and make a pretty mean pizza, but this.....this....was a beatufil pizza experience.

I'd love to post the recipes/proceedures here amongst fellow pizza affectionatos.  I wish to hear opinions or adaptions that might be made (ie. due to ingredient availablity or favorite brand of beer ect.)

I tried the recipe as a Chicago deep dish, and as a mid-thickness flat crust.
With the results I got, it believe it should remain a Chicago-style despite that it's not my favorite style.

Well...at least it wasn't!

PizzaBrewer!
Thanks for the Beer topic, you got  me thinking about Moosehead and pizza!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 01:51:39 AM by Lydia »
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 08:31:30 PM »
I posted the recipes, as promised, under Chicago-style.

Offline hipchef

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 03:31:49 PM »
I was in Edinburgh, Scotland last week at the Pub I was in was Clever Dicks. The bar keep was great I told him I didn't know what beer I wanted so he gave me a tasting of everything on tap. After all the tastings and a few more pints I can't tell you what one I liked better than the other. I also can't remember how I got home either hahahhahahhahhha....I think as long as its wet and has foam it works with pizza.........................

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 08:10:57 AM »
My favorite is/was Lowenbrau Swiss. Don't think it's made anymore.
Regularly, it's Bud for me.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 02:10:29 PM »
 A pint of Guiness sitting by a fire in any small pub on the west coast of Ireland. The right setting just somehow makes it taste better. 

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 11:07:16 AM »
There would be no reason to leave home if I could brew a nice dark beer in the basement along with the tasty pizza in the kitchen  ... someday in the outdoor wood oven. 
Way to go Canadianbacon.  Is this something you do for a vocation or avocation?  In any event, being in the process has got to be wonderful.  Magic and art = beer
My opinion is pizza crust was made to compliment beer and wine.  The old adage of cleaning windows holds true for pizza.  If you pay attention to the corners, the middle will take care of itself.  The crust is where your signature is affixed. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 11:59:06 AM »
Chiguy, I think the Guinness does really taste much better over there.  I noticed it on the first sip. 

An Irish friend of mine claims that they actually dehydrate the Guinness that is shipped to America so that it is cheaper to transport.  The water is then added back into the semi solid Guinness paste once it gets to America.

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 05:13:30 PM »
Lowenbrau Swiss is available in my market

- good stuff.

Miller killed the Lowenbrau label in the USA, IMHO

Offline chiguy

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 08:21:46 PM »
Hi, Scott r
Chiguy, I think the Guinness does really taste much better over there. I noticed it on the first sip.

An Irish friend of mine claims that they actually dehydrate the Guinness that is shipped to America so that it is cheaper to transport. The water is then added back into the semi solid Guinness paste once it gets to America.
I believe this is a procedure that may be widely used on import beer, The Heineken also taste completely different is Europe. For the better in my opinion.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 04:57:36 PM »
Yeah???  I heard that too.  But the way I heard it was that after shipping the partial solid beer mass from the old sod, there's another step.   For an authentic taste,  those clever Irish ship the magical water to reconstitute it.  It comes directly from Blarney Spring.