Author Topic: Where do I put the pepperoni?  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Teddy Ballgame

Where do I put the pepperoni?
« on: February 05, 2012, 02:16:45 AM »
Where is the best/authentic place to layer the pepperoni (I am using boar's head sandwich that I get cut fairly thick). Pictures from Malnati's show it just under the sauce but also over it.
I appreciate your help and opinions.

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
Re: Where do I put the pepperoni?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:20:14 AM »
I put pepperoni under the sauce on my deep dish pizzas.
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Online pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 02:55:43 PM »
Under for malnatis.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
Malnatis seems to do it both ways, as their website photos indicate on top....

Offline BTB

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:42:51 AM »
Where is the best/authentic place to layer the pepperoni?
The first answer that came to mind is "wherever you like it."  Some pizzerias put it deep under the sauce, some just slightly under the sauce, and some on top of the sauce, and some do a combination of under and over the sauce.  Most of my friends and relatives don't like it under the sauce too much as we prefer some degree of crispness to the pepperoni and under the sauce it generally remains wet and chewy, and much of the grease from the pepperoni melts out into the rest of the pizza.  But many like it that way and that's all right. 

And the problem with putting it on top of the sauce is that because of the long baking cycle of a deep dish pizza, the pepperoni would likely become burnt by the time the pizza is done.  What I like to do is put the pizza in the oven without any pepperoni on it.  Or if doing the combo technique putting a little bit of pepperoni under the sauce but reserving the majority of the pepperoni to add on top of the sauce late in the bake cycle.  And before adding the remaining pepperoni, I "nuke" the pepperoni on paper towels in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds, careful not to do it too long.  And when the pizza has roughly 5 or 10 minutes remaining to be baked (sometimes easier said than done in determining that) I pull the pizza out and put the previously "nuked" pepperoni on the pizza (in my case most commonly on half of the pizza).  And then back into the oven for 5 or 10 minutes.  (If your oven has a "convection" feature, this is a good time to use it, but not before).

Here's a picture of one I did recently following this way of thinking.  I may have put it into the microwave a little bit too long . . . or in the oven a little bit too long after adding it . . . BUT I got absolutely no complaints and only praises for how good every aspect of the pizza was.  While the pepperoni looked slightly well done, it was well received that way.  But in any event, you're in control of how you want it done.  Good luck and let us know which way you've come to like it the best.

--BTB

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:59:28 PM »
Here is my attempt from Sunday. I did the pepperoni on halfway under and covered with foil for first fifteen and then uncovered. The dough was with 20% Semolina but I found it a little too crunchy/hard. I wanted a slightly softer buttery type of crust but everyone agreed it was my best attempt to date. I used Boar's Head Pepperoni and Provolone layered with Trader Joe's Whole Milk Mozz. I also found a great San Marzano DOP can of whole peeled tomatoes called Berrillos (just added some very light seasonings).

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:10:13 PM by Teddy Ballgame »

Offline BTB

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 07:47:22 AM »
Great looking pizza.  Nice job.  Its funny, many others look for a crunchier/crispier crust like most Chicago Style pizzas, but with these formulations you can control whatever direction you want to go in.  Most or all of the classic Chicago deep dish pizzerias do not have a soft or bread like texture, tho.  Pizzahut, Uno's Chicago Grill, various Sicilian styles, yes, but those are far from classic Chicago Style.  Nice selection of cheese and tomatoes.  Maybe a little light on the tomato sauce, but some like it that way.  Looking forward to seeing some more of your pizza handy work.                 --BTB

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:36:33 PM »
I do like the crispiness as well and certainly not bready or pan like. I just remember Lou Malnati's being a little flakier; I guess I will keep playing with the percentages and length of time  :chef: .
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:41:20 PM by Teddy Ballgame »

pizzapan