Author Topic: The Mystery Dough Pizza for Tomorrow  (Read 29226 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: The Mystery Dough Pizza for Tomorrow
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 08:02:19 AM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 02:25:19 PM »
For anyone that might be interested, this is the dough I used in the mystery dough.  I was surprised at how hydrated this dough felt. The dough when defrosted and cold fermented was super soft.  I didnít know what TF I used, but just stretched the dough ball out to a 18Ē skin. The mystery dough was that easy to stretch out. I might have stretched the skin too large for all the toppings we added.  I am not sure of what happened that the skin tore during the bake.  When I am at Walmart again, I am going to purchase another frozen dough ball to play around with.  I liked this frozen dough ball better than another frozen dough ball I had used before.  If anyone wants to play around with this frozen dough, I would recommend a two day cold ferment, that includes from the frozen state of the dough ball. 

I found it interesting how the bottom of the frozen dough ball had small squares imprinted on the dough ball.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 02:27:33 PM »
Dough ball when first taken out of the plastic bag and the square imprints on the bottom of the frozen dough ball.  I did lighlty oil the plastic container and the dough ball.

I don't know why I find frozen dough balls interesting, but I do.  :-D

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 02:42:14 PM »
Norma,

Can you estimate the hydration of the dough when defrosted?

I couldn't quite make out the grams of carbohydrates. Is it 36 grams?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »
Norma,

Can you estimate the hydration of the dough when defrosted?

I couldn't quite make out the grams of carbohydrates. Is it 36 grams?

Peter

Peter,

I estimate the hydration to feel about 62-63%.  Since no oil was used in the frozen dough ball, that made me curious how well hydrated the dough ball felt. When the front of the frozen Pepeís Bakery dough ball said no trans fat, that made me more interested in trying the Walmartís dough ball.  I liked that not a lot of added ingredients were in this frozen dough ball.

You are correct that the carbohydrates were listed on the Nutrition Facts at 36 grams.  I kept the plastic bag, but changed the plastic bag picture now if you canít see the picture I posted. 

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »
Norma,

Was that dough ball purchased from Wal-Mart? If so, you might be able to do a simple bake test some time with 10 grams of it to see what the percent of the total dough ball weight is water. Then, you might be able to reverse engineer the dough.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 05:01:21 PM »
Norma,

Was that dough ball purchased from Wal-Mart? If so, you might be able to do a simple bake test some time with 10 grams of it to see what the percent of the total dough ball weight is water. Then, you might be able to reverse engineer the dough.

Peter

Peter,

Yes, the frozen dough ball was purchased at Wal-Mart.  I never thought about doing a reverse engineering project on the Pepeís Bakery frozen dough ball, but do understand how to do a hydration test now from the MM thread.  If you are willing to help after the hydration test to be able to figure out how the other ingredients would stack-up in bakerís percent I will purchase another frozen dough ball from Wal-Mart, if only to be able to try and figure out how they make their dough balls.

I just hope this thread doesnít become as long and involved as the MM thread.  :-D

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 05:32:25 PM »
Norma,

Can you confirm that the amount listed for sugars is 4 grams?

Peter

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »
My father's side of the family is from Amsterdam, and that was their bakery on Main Street. They called it "Peps". It served the whole neighborhood, which was heavily Italian at the time.

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 06:23:19 PM »
Norma,

Can you confirm that the amount listed for sugars is 4 grams?

Peter

Peter,

The sugars are 0.4 gram.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pepe-s-Bakery-Fried-Dough-Bread-Calzone-Pizza-Dough-16-oz/10849034

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 06:27:16 PM »
My father's side of the family is from Amsterdam, and that was their bakery on Main Street. They called it "Peps". It served the whole neighborhood, which was heavily Italian at the time.

John

John,

Did ďPepsĒ made pizza dough?  I thought the Pepeís pizza dough was good for frozen dough.  What other kinds of products did Pepeís Bakery offer?  It says on the plastic bag that Pepeís had been in business for over 100 years.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 07:23:06 PM »
The sugars are 0.4 gram.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pepe-s-Bakery-Fried-Dough-Bread-Calzone-Pizza-Dough-16-oz/10849034

Norma,

Thank you. After I asked you about this, I did a search and found the Nutrition Facts.

Peter

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 07:28:21 PM »
For anyone that might be interested, this is the dough I used in the mystery dough. 

I never would have guessed that one. Did you have to say a bunch of Hail Marys or take a shower after buying it?  :-D

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 08:38:11 PM »
I never would have guessed that one. Did you have to say a bunch of Hail Marys or take a shower after buying it?  :-D

CL

Craig,

No, I didnít have to say a bunch of Hail Marys or take a shower after buying a frozen dough ball, but your post sure made me chuckle.   :-D

I experiment with so many types of pizzas and have even tried frozen dough balls before.  Each and every dough and pizza are interesting to me, even if some of them donít turn out well.  It is like the old saying goes, ďYouíve tried the best. Now try the rest.Ē  :angel:

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »
I did purchase two Pepeís frozen dough balls today.  I will do a hydration test on part of the one tomorrow.  The Pepeís frozen dough balls were 1.47 each at Wal-Mart.  I hadnít really looked at all the Pepeís frozen dough balls at Wal-mart before, but some of them have markings on the top of the dough balls. I donít know how Pepeís makes their frozen dough balls. I purchased one with markings and one that did not have any markings.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
Norma,

After my last post, I tried to determine what kind of flour Pepe's might be using to make its frozen dough balls. I had a difficult time matching it against the flours for which I had or could find specs, including the General Mills specs, the King Arthur specs and a couple of Pillsbury flour specs. There may well be other specs that apply or possibly Pepe's has a blend prepared only for them. I mention all of this because you might want to do a gluten test in addition to the hydration test to determine how much gluten is in their dough. If you start with a dough ball weight like those you used to conduct gluten tests at the Mellow Mushroom thread, the value of the Pepe's gluten in relation to the values that you got with the other flours might help us identify the type of flour Pepe's is using. Whether the gluten test helps us or not, you will at least have some more gluten to use in future pizza experiiments :-D.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2012, 07:43:18 PM »
Norma,

After my last post, I tried to determine what kind of flour Pepe's might be using to make its frozen dough balls. I had a difficult time matching it against the flours for which I had or could find specs, including the General Mills specs, the King Arthur specs and a couple of Pillsbury flour specs. There may well be other specs that apply or possibly Pepe's has a blend prepared only for them. I mention all of this because you might want to do a gluten test in addition to the hydration test to determine how much gluten is in their dough. If you start with a dough ball weight like those you used to conduct gluten tests at the Mellow Mushroom thread, the value of the Pepe's gluten in relation to the values that you got with the other flours might help us identify the type of flour Pepe's is using. Whether the gluten test helps us or not, you will at least have some more gluten to use in future pizza experiiments :-D.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for trying to find out what kind of flour Pepeís might use.  Pepeís might have a blend of flours prepared for them.  I will first do the hydration test, then the gluten test.  I will use the same size dough for the gluten test to see how that compares with my other gluten tests.  I guess I might as well go onto the gluten bake test then.  I know I posted in my other thread I might want to experiment with more ground baked gluten again, but I didnít think it would be this fast.  :-D

I am also going to defrost one of the Pepeís dough balls starting on Sunday again.  At 1.47 a piece, at least they are cheap enough to play around with and I really did like how the Pepeís dough felt before.  I think I might have opened the dough ball too far, but am not sure.  I really wasnít going for any specific TF, but stretched the dough ball to at least 18Ē.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2012, 06:49:39 AM »
I removed a Pepeís frozen dough ball from the plastic bag last evening so it would start to defrost in the refrigerator. I decided to weigh the dough ball to see if it weighed 448 g (1 lb.) as it said it did on the plastic bag.  The Pepeís frozen dough ball weighed 463 grams instead of 448 grams.  I didnít oil the dough ball or the plastic container because I didnít want any oil interfering with any of the tests, since it says on Pepeís bag that no trans fat is in the frozen dough ball.  These are pictures of the top and bottom of a Pepeís frozen dough ball.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2012, 10:01:42 AM »
Norma,

A pound (16 ounces) weighs 16 x 28.35 = 453.6 grams. This shouldn't matter much if you use the defrosted dough to conduct your tests.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »
Norma,

A pound (16 ounces) weighs 16 x 28.35 = 453.6 grams.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for posting what a pound is in grams.  I would think Pepeís would have had the right weight on the plastic bag for Wal-Mart, but see they donít. 

Norma