Author Topic: A Few WFO Questions...  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
A Few WFO Questions...
« on: February 08, 2012, 02:55:33 PM »
I am seriously contemplating building a WFO. I have a few questions for those who have one.

1. I'm assuming that size does matter. I would think that a smaller oven would heat up faster. What other issues are there to consider regarding size? Would you choose a different size if you were to rebuild your oven? If so, why?

2. For those in colder climates, do you use your oven year-round? Are there any design considerations when building in an area with bad winters?

3. Is there anything that you regret about your oven design? Something that you wish that you had done differently?

4. What kind of wood do you use?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:52:28 PM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: A Few WFO Questions...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:16:26 PM »
1. Bigger means you can bake more pies at the same time. Bigger also means the pizzas can be further away from the coals/fire which means more uniform radiated heat.

2. I use mine year-round. From <5F to >100F. Obviously, you will need materials that can stand the thermal shock of going from full-cold to 900F in a few hours. Never been a problem for the oven I built from an Earthstone kit.

3. I would have built an oven with a larger deck (see #1).

4. Oak and pecan. Main consideration will be whatever is plentiful in your area and amount of heat the wood can produce. Conifer wood not advised due to creosote.   

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:34:34 PM »
1. Go as big as you can (I think 47" is about the maximum for home use). Your heat up time will vary based on the build materials you use, or kit you buy, but I wished I had a larger oven now. You need to be able to have space between the pie and the coals.

2. I don't use mine year round because I hate standing in the cold unprotected. That does not mean the oven won't work either, I just wish I had an enclosure or something similar around the oven area.

3. The size.

4. Oak.

John

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
i agree with bill and john,  i recommend 40-42" floor.  think carefully about the layout and how you will utilize the space around the oven and your prep area.  i use pecan and oak too - most important aspect of hardwood selection is that it must be dry and well seasoned.  a roof can extend your opportunities into bad weather of all sorts. 
good luck!
bill

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »
I eliminated the weather issue by putting mine in the house (oven body is outside, mouth of oven is in wall of house) and I love using it year-round.  I am very glad we put it inside and would absolutely do it again if we ever moved. 

I wanted to put in a 42" oven but the one we ended up putting in is closer to 39" and so far I'm happy with it.  I definitely wouldn't want any smaller!

We're in California and burn mostly oak and bay plus whatever fruitwood my husband doesn't keep for the smoker. 

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 09:28:52 PM »
1. If I built another oven-I have an Earthstone-I would go up one size. My oven is about 36" in diameter. I believe the next size up is about 42." I agree with other writers  that the larger area would allow for more space between the fire and the pizza.
2. My oven could work all winter, but I am not comfortable standing in a foot of snow while baking pizza. I did build a roof with an overhang over the oven to protect it from the elements. In the winter I wrap it up with a tarp to keep snow and ice from collecting on the hearth outside the door.
3. Just the size
4. Oak and maple

bakerbill

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 09:38:15 PM »
I have the 36" earth stone also 1 size up but no bigger than that for the house
Indoors would be nice
@Robyn you have and oven?  ??? I remember when you were posting some experiments, pics, other goodies.
I use hard and dry wood oak or whatever is free
Looking for a patio heaters on eBay  so I can place 1 on each end of the outdoor kitchen and do year round!
John
Seriously Robyn I was just  wondering how you guys are making out with the fourgrandemere?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:45:13 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 12:27:23 AM »
John:   :P  Sent you a message - don't want to hijack this thread!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 11:18:19 AM »
Mine is 120cm/47". It takes a while to heat up (minimum of 4 hours), but I like the space. As Bill noted, being able to back off the fire is very nice. I came into my oven in a somewhat unusual way - the size picked me more than the other way around, but if I had to replace it today, it would be with an oven at least 100cm/40".

I burn mostly oak and hickory with some pecan when I have extra.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 05:25:07 PM »
 if i was to build one more oven,i think i would try a mugnaini oven. i also would go with the 32 inch. this only because the bigger ovens take longer to heat up and i personally only cook 6 to 8 pizzas on a given day. that is for home use, and i do not entertain much.i had talks with reese at mugnaini and he reported the 32 inch had a low dome .i though he said 12 inch,but the documents do not support that.the other big selling point was the floor component was finished by them.the way they insulated was important in the overall performance.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 08:16:42 PM »
Thanks for all of the tips.

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, I'm thinking probably somewhere around a 42" deck.

I came into my oven in a somewhat unusual way
Just curious...care to elaborate?

My uncle has had a bunch of bricks stacked up in his back yard for about 15 years now. I just asked him about them and he said that they are fire bricks, and that If I pick them up they are mine for free. I haven't seen them for a while but if I remember right, it's quite a load. Probably more than enough.

I've done some masonry work in my time; mostly cinder block, but I think that I could handle building an oven myself. I have been studying the plans on Forno Bravo's site and I think that it's doable. Has anyone here built from these plans?

Offline TXCraig1

Pizza is not bread.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 09:40:03 PM »
Hmmm...in the garage...I hadn't thought of that.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 10:12:49 PM »
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 10:45:46 PM »

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 11:36:02 PM »
I built my 42 inch oven using the FB plans. It's not a low dome oven though, so that's something to consider.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11155.0.html