Author Topic: Re: Substituting Cheap Flour  (Read 924 times)

Offline mayflower

Re: Substituting Cheap Flour
« on: February 08, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »
Attn: Experts in pizza dough... Have you ever run out of KAF and had to resort to store brand X flour?  It doesn't behave proper, seems loose and spreads.  Anyway, what is your take on cheap flour and is it me or the flour?

TIA :-[
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:55:52 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:32:28 PM »
Probably it is you.  How much water did you add?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:00:53 AM »
If it's too loose, add a little more flour and move on. There is no reason to think that changing flour - to a more or less expensive - will not also require changing the dough formulation.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 02:00:51 AM »
I agree with JD and Craig.  One of the way flours vary from one another is in their protein ratio which will affect how much water they can absorb.  More than likely, flour X is just a weaker flour requiring less water.  If you don't make that adjustment the dough will behave quite differently and give a different product if you bake it the same way as the KAF dough.   It doesn't mean that it's an inferior flour/dough/product, you just have to make the adjustment for it. 

If you had started out working with Flour X and then had to suddenly switch to KAF, you would probably be saying that flour X makes a better product. 

Offline mayflower

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »
Thanks for your replies...  Adding more flour did help the problem as well as cold fermenting two days..  Incidentily I ordered tomatoes from Pennmac.com and SAF yeast..  I appreciate your posting the Pennmac and Escalon.net both are great sites for pizza ingredients..

You all have so much experience in pizza .  I've been making pizza about 15 years, but finding this site has been a great improvement in my method.. thanks again.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:10:37 PM »
Mayflower, we all learn from one another here.  That is the beauty of this forum.  I always wish and encourage folks to post and share their experience no matter how (in)significant they may think their posts to be.  Their posts are useful to someone out there.  I would love to see pictures of some of your pizzas some time if you don't mind posting them up. 

Chau

pizzapan