Author Topic: Papa Del's stuffed pizza  (Read 591 times)

Offline alehde

• I Love Pizza!
Papa Del's stuffed pizza
« on: March 28, 2015, 10:54:04 PM »
I've been on the forum for a couple of months, with the goal of re-creating Papa Del's stuffed pizza. I thought I'd share my latest attempt.
Any advice is welcome.

Made a 14" round

Dough - made 2, one for the bottom crust, one for the top.
Each dough:
2 Cups Milk = 480g
2 Tbsp. Butter = 28g
2 Tbsp. Sugar = 28g
2 tsp. kosher Salt = 8g
2 Package Instant Dry Yeast
700g of King Arthur’s Bread Flour

Scald the milk and add the butter, sugar, and salt.
Let this portion cool to 100-110 degrees , then add the yeast.

Put the milk/butter/sugar/salt/yeast mixture into the mixing bowl of a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and use bread hook for 5 minutes.

Cover the dough and let the dough rise for 3 hours. Punch it down, then let it rise for another 3 hours.

Roll it in the pan, don’t roll it much bigger than you need (it will be quite thick)— use all of the dough for the crust, brush the crust with olive oil - add cheese.

Cheese
Whole milk mozzarella and some sharp cheddar
8 oz sliced mozzarella on bottom
8 oz shredded mozzarella
2 oz shredded cheddar

Sauce
28 oz tomato puree (Muir Glen)
Basil  1t
Oregano .5t
Thyme .5t
Parsley 1T
Black Pepper .5 t
Granulated Garlic .5t
Granulated Onion .5t
Salt 1t
Sugar 1t
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 2t

Roll the 2nd crust, put it on top. Use the rolling pin along the rim of the pan to cut off excess dough.

Put sauce on top, Bake 400 degrees for 35 minutes.

After pulling it from the oven, sprinkle with fresh ground romano cheese.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: Papa Del's stuffed pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 01:41:02 PM »
wow!  its been over 20 years since i have had one but that sure looks like what i remember!!  were you happy with the taste??  looks awesome!!  nice job!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Online mudman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 06:42:15 PM »
This pizza looks fantastic. 700 grams KABF for each crust seems like a lot, but it sure does look tasty. Very much left over dough?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:45:57 PM by mudman »

Offline alehde

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 11:43:44 PM »
Thanks, guys!

wow!  its been over 20 years since i have had one but that sure looks like what i remember!!  were you happy with the taste??  looks awesome!!  nice job!

Yep - It's pretty darn close. I hesitate to say that, since I haven't been at this very long. I feel like it should take longer to zero in on the right recipe, but the truth is - it's pretty darn close. I'll be in Champaign over the summer, so I'll be able to remind myself about the original. Next comes trying to clone their sausage!

This pizza looks fantastic. 700 grams KABF for each crust seems like a lot, but it sure does look tasty. Very much left over dough?

Yes - it's a lot of flour - but the crust comes out as I remember it, so I'm not gonna argue. I try to roll it out to fit the pan without overlap. Any leftover dough is just what is trimmed off around the rim of the pan.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:08:10 PM »
Dough amount looks right.  I use 400g flour for my 9 inch Giordanos.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 08:49:03 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Yep - It's pretty darn close. I hesitate to say that, since I haven't been at this very long. I feel like it should take longer to zero in on the right recipe, but the truth is - it's pretty darn close. I'll be in Champaign over the summer, so I'll be able to remind myself about the original. Next comes trying to clone their sausage!

Yes - it's a lot of flour - but the crust comes out as I remember it, so I'm not gonna argue. I try to roll it out to fit the pan without overlap. Any leftover dough is just what is trimmed off around the rim of the pan.

oh yeah!!!  i really liked their sausage too!  please take pics when you're in champaign!!!! 
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline za_man

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 12:40:39 AM »
Hello,

I'm thrilled to see a Papa Del's recipe on here. I am planning to make this recipe Sunday and I will report back with details.

If I am using a 10" pan instead of 14", can I simply halve the measurements for the dough ingredients? My thought process is that 10" is 25 square inches and 14" is 49 square inches, so roughly half. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:30:52 AM by za_man »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 10:56:29 AM »
If I am using a 10" pan instead of 14", can I simply halve the measurements for the dough ingredients? My thought process is that 10" is 25 square inches and 14" is 49 square inches, so roughly half. Thanks

If it were thin crust, then your thinking is correct.  But it's probably a little trickier with this recipe, since you've got the sides and top to work with.  So you might need a little more than half? 

I mean, it's a loaf of bread with a pizza inside.  The original recipe calls for nearly 3 lbs of dough for one pizza (lol). 

I think your math requires that you solve for a sphere instead of a circle.  I'm only half-joking.   :D  Maybe some of the DD & stuffed math gurus can weigh in on this.

Offline za_man

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 11:33:35 AM »
Thanks Garvey. I will make three quarters of the original recipe instead of half to make sure I have enough. Nothing wrong with leftover dough!

Also, I should mention that I am not going to make stuffed, just normal. So I'll only be making one loaf.

Offline za_man

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 08:06:16 PM »
I'm back with some results. Again, I was making a normal (not stuffed) version of alehde's crust.

This is really close to the original. The crust was spot on. I might try it with a tad bit more sugar next time.

To make a 9" pie, I made 2/3 of alehde's dough recipe. I had a golf ball sized amount left over, so pretty close.

In the process, I made a few noob mistakes
-Sauce was too wet
-I filled the sauce to close to the top. When the dough began baking it pushed the sauce up and almost out of the pan!
-Forgot to grease the pan

Luckily, nothing major enough to ruin this pizza. Awesome recipe for a sweet and very fluffy crust.