Author Topic: Burts/Pequods  (Read 29103 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Re: Burts/Pequods
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2014, 10:08:56 PM »
The foil will definitely shield the top of the pizza from radiation from the burner, but that heat will mostly reflect back to the top of the oven (and then reflect or absorb from there). I don't think that reflection will do much to change convective flows in the oven though (although the foil will of course interfere with existing flows).

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2014, 10:44:51 PM »
I'm not Bill Nye, but I'll try to explain as I understand it (scientists, please feel free to correct me).

The flames of your top gas-burner aim downward.
A sheet of foil (or a baking sheet) blocks the gas-forced airflow/heat (maybe not all of it) that would normally go downward,
protecting the top of your pizza from burning,
and since the heat can no longer go straight down to burn the tips of your deep dish crust,
it has to go somewhere else, right?
So the idea is that the gas-forced heat bounces off of the foil and back to the top (and/or sides) of the oven,
and is then deflected (or redirected) until it travels around to the sides.

I would call this redirection of a closed heat system convection, but it's possible I'm not using the term right.
If I'm not describing it correctly, I'll be happy to revise the photo/graphic,
but my basic point is that heat which is no longer hitting the top of your pizza gets redirected to the sides and bottom.

Regardless of what it's called, that is what happens when I bake my pizzas with this configuration.  :chef:

So, would that be the aluminum dome oven mod in order to Pizzafication your oven for the redirection of a closed heat convection system...?

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2014, 10:50:24 PM »
So, would that be the aluminum dome oven mod in order to Pizzafication your oven for the redirection of a closed heat convection system...?

Dude, all I know is you put foil up there and it keeps your pizza from burning.

Consult your local engineer for the sciency stuff.  :chef:
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »
Dude, all I know is you put foil up there and it keeps your pizza from burning.

Consult your local engineer for the sciency stuff.  :chef:

Lol!!!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2014, 10:57:35 PM »
You been listening to Bruce Springsteen haven't you.  ;D
Pizzafication....in the LOVE sensation.  8)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2014, 11:01:16 PM »
You been listening to Bruce Springsteen haven't you.  ;D
Pizzafication....in the LOVE sensation.  8)

Bob

That was actually VCB's term.

I would have called it the aluminum love tent....but that's me....

Offline Nuje

« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2014, 07:49:08 PM »
I know this was posted quite some time ago now, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents haha.  the so-called "Chicago-style" thin crust is ubiquitous throughout the midwest USA, and you can even find the style in Winnipeg, Manitoba.  A more appropriate name would definitely be "midwestern-style" thin crust.

I read Garvey's comments about the sauce and sausage being different in Chicago, but really a pizzas in Chicago and Minneapolis are more similar than they are different.  Really, this is the same type of pizza...  just do a survey of pizza styles at local shops outside the midwest and you will see what I mean.

the st. louis pizza is probably a just a variation on the midwest style

Mostly a lurker here (not sure if I've ever even posted, haha).

Sorry to bump, but I have a question to this particular post. Where in Winnipeg can this style be found? I swing by that city every now and then (certainly far more frequently than Chicago). Where in Winnipeg can this be found?

Offline Jomama

• What, Me Worry...?
Re: Burts/Pequods My first "Quod Clone"
« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2014, 07:56:41 PM »
This one is for you Chicago Bob !!

After reading a plethora of good tips for making a "Quod Clone" on this site over the last 2 days, I fired up the 'ole KA mixer and gave it a go.

I used the same dough recipe found on pages 2-3 on this thread and changed the oil ratio to have a little less corn and a little more olive oil.
For the sauce, I started (to save time) with a 14oz can of Pastorelli sauce and thinned it a bit with a 14oz can of fire-roasted, organic, crushed tomatoes and added a bit of black pepper, dried basil and sugar.  Toppings du jour were onions and fresh Ital Sausage.

Assembled and ready for the oven, it looked like this. (Pix "Before 1 and 2")

Flopped that Bad-Boy in a 475 degree oven on a 16" x 1/2" stone (preheated for 45 minutes) for about 35 min followed by 5 mins under the broiler to crisp up the toppings abit.

After the requisite cool-down, I sliced it up and I'll let the rest of the pics do the talking.

It was my first attempt at a Quod Clone and I give it a solid B+
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:09:39 PM by Jomama »
"The answer to your question is...Welcome to Tomorrow"

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #148 on: December 11, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
Since we're posting in the Quod thread again, I was reminded that I forgot to upload the pics from my October 2014 Quod test.

I made a 12" pequod clone using my 14" thin crust dough recipe, with excellent results!
Well, I should say... excellent results for the crust, which had the perfect texture. I was a little too light on the sauce and let the toppings get a little more charred than planned, but it was still damn tasty.  :chef:

(You can get my thin crust dough recipe, along with sauce and italian sausage recipes at: http://www.realdeepdish.com/2014/07-13-chicago-thin-crust-pizza-yes-its-a-thing/ )  :pizza:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:40:04 PM by vcb »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #149 on: December 11, 2014, 11:20:45 PM »
This one is for you Chicago Bob !!

After reading a plethora of good tips for making a "Quod Clone" on this site over the last 2 days, I fired up the 'ole KA mixer and gave it a go.

I used the same dough recipe found on pages 2-3 on this thread and changed the oil ratio to have a little less corn and a little more olive oil.
For the sauce, I started (to save time) with a 14oz can of Pastorelli sauce and thinned it a bit with a 14oz can of fire-roasted, organic, crushed tomatoes and added a bit of black pepper, dried basil and sugar.  Toppings du jour were onions and fresh Ital Sausage.

Assembled and ready for the oven, it looked like this. (Pix "Before 1 and 2")

Flopped that Bad-Boy in a 475 degree oven on a 16" x 1/2" stone (preheated for 45 minutes) for about 35 min followed by 5 mins under the broiler to crisp up the toppings abit.

After the requisite cool-down, I sliced it up and I'll let the rest of the pics do the talking.

It was my first attempt at a Quod Clone and I give it a solid B+
Daym, daym, daym.....that's ius excellent pizzamaking bro.....where the hell you been man?   ;D

Offline Jomama

• What, Me Worry...?
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »
Daym, daym, daym.....that's ius excellent pizzamaking bro.....where the hell you been man?   ;D

Thank You my good man !!
As a "Newbie" to the forum, I appreciate the kind words from a fellow Chicagoan and Deep Dish Fan Addict.

The pie last night tasted great and was given the "Best Ever" award by my son but, I plan on making 2 minor changes on the next attempt to move it from a B+ to an "A".  I plan on swapping out about 30% of the water for whole milk to add a little more tenderness to the finished crust.   Don't get me wrong, it tasted fine but my crust had just a little more "tooth" than a real Burt's/Quod's pie.

Second, I need to re-oil the rim of the pan right before I lay in the cheese border around the outside edge.  While the caramelizing was spot-on for the finished pie, I did have to run a knife around the outside during the cool down phase to make sure the slices would lift out intact.  My 14" pan is very well seasoned and I never have issues with dough sticking, but cheese edged crusts need a little extra "lube" (don't we all!!) to insure a smooth extraction from the pan.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
... I did have to run a knife around the outside during the cool down phase to make sure the slices would lift out intact.

Running a knife (or a spatula) around the edge before cutting your slices may be standard operating procedure, even with a well-oiled pan.  :chef:

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2014, 09:00:28 PM »
Running a knife (or a spatula) around the edge before cutting your slices may be standard operating procedure, even with a well-oiled pan.  :chef:
That's what ole Burt does.  :chef:

Offline Jomama

• What, Me Worry...?
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2014, 09:43:37 PM »

That's good to know. 
Thanks Ed and CB for your feedback.   

I feel much better now...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 09:16:28 AM by Jomama »

pizzapan