Author Topic: Villa Nova - Stickney, IL  (Read 617 times)

Offline PizzaGarage

Villa Nova - Stickney, IL
« on: January 19, 2015, 03:40:09 PM »

This is by far the best south side Chicago tavern style pizza to date.  Well worth the drive, I was there this week.

They do not roll the dough out to order, rather they roll the dough ball out as prep, then apply lots of flour (later brushed off) and essentially bundle it up for use on the make line when the order comes in.

Notice on the skin are dry patches, every dough I seen them make (and there were lots) had the same kind of patches.  I'm not sure if this is a bulk ferment but it might be, very interesting.

The sausage did not look precooked, but they show that in the video - not sure why. With the volume this place does, they are not using little shakers to add seasoning like shown I suspect.  I also don't know how they got all the sausage into those perfect balls, even though I watched the guy put them on quite a few pizza's.....I also don't know why those dough balls are so rough looking....also notice the sauce cooking....it does looked cooked but not sure about that either....

Notes as I look at this video more.  I do think the dough shown is bulk fermented, first they would not put dough balls so close together on the sheet pan if these balls were to rise and second, the dry patches seen I think is the dry skin due to the bulk ferment and incorporating that dry skin into each dough ball when hand balling, and third, the shape of the dough on the table looks square - just the way it would be shaped if the dough was bulk fermented in the dough tray. 

Flour is Ceresota  (there is the second bag with Ceresota written on it).  Looks to be ADY, as a grayish liquid is added to the dough.  Then, something white is added from a foil pie tin, this might be white cornmeal or something else (I suspect it would be too much salt so discounting that).  The way it's fanned into the mixer it looks granular as opposed to a fine flour.  The dough appears choppy and non mixed and that appears to be consistent with the dough balls themselves.

This was a wonderful pie. 

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:50:29 PM by PizzaGarage »

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
Re: Villa Nova - Stickney, IL
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:50:55 PM »
Flour is Ceresota  (there is the second bag with Ceresota written on it).  Looks to be ADY, as a grayish liquid is added to the dough.  Then, something white is added from a foil pie tin, this might be white cornmeal or something else (I suspect it would be too much salt so discounting that).  The way it's fanned into the mixer it looks granular as opposed to a fine flour.  The dough appears choppy and non mixed and that appears to be consistent with the dough balls themselves.

This was a wonderful pie.

It was a pretty big batch of dough, but I think you're right - not salt. I don't think it's cornmeal though (don't get me started),
 but could be sugar (or salt AND sugar).

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what that little secret spice was that they added to the sausage?
My first guess would be Accent (aka MSG), but it could be something more innocent, like garlic powder or cornstarch.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 07:30:18 PM »
Appears to be salt and sugar in the foil container.  Dough appears to be 56-58% total hydration.  Rolled as thin as vito and nicks. 

Not too sure if that is accent.  I have some and there is no red on top like that.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:58:36 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:56:38 PM »
At 1.32 into the video, the secret red top container is on the table.  It is clear that the spice is a McCormick spice as the Mc is right on the top.  Note sure what the spice is, something white and something McCormick....

White pepper
Meat Tenderizer
Onion or Garlic power, maybe too white for Garlic. 

Offline pythonic

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 07:59:29 PM »
At 1.32 into the video, the secret red top container is on the table.  It is clear that the spice is a McCormick spice as the Mc is right on the top.  Note sure what the spice is, something white and something McCormick....

White pepper
Meat Tenderizer
Onion or Garlic power, maybe too white for Garlic.

Yes was thinking McCormick as well.  Onion powder a real possibility.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 08:31:58 PM »
In searching the Internet and going through the McCormick spices, they do not seem to produce an Onion or Garlic powder in that size and shape container.  They only have 2 white products in that container 1 is Aluma and the other is Cream of Tartar.  In looking at Cream of tartar and pork, there are many receipies with the combination.  Cream of tartar is supposed to keep pork nice and jucy....

My vote is Cream of Tartar as the secret spice....

Offline pythonic

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 09:11:54 PM »
In searching the Internet and going through the McCormick spices, they do not seem to produce an Onion or Garlic powder in that size and shape container.  They only have 2 white products in that container 1 is Aluma and the other is Cream of Tartar.  In looking at Cream of tartar and pork, there are many receipies with the combination.  Cream of tartar is supposed to keep pork nice and jucy....

My vote is Cream of Tartar as the secret spice....

Interesting.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 09:22:26 PM »

The precooked sausage crumble was on the pizza cut in pie slices.

The red top jar has very large holes in the shaker. And the ingredient shaken out does not look white and very fine (like cream of tarter does).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:25:27 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 09:52:25 PM »
Maybe a mix of garlic and onion powder...
Charles

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 03:46:05 PM »
I'm holding firm on the Cream of Tartar....it does look white to me and when the video is slowed frame by frame it looks like a powder....that's my 2 cents anyway....

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 05:21:28 PM »
Not for nuthin', but I sometimes buy spices in larger containers and then re-fill my empty McCormick containers, so any powdery substance (hopefully legal) could be in there.

8)
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline pythonic

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 06:59:05 PM »
Not for nuthin', but I sometimes buy spices in larger containers and then re-fill my empty McCormick containers, so any powdery substance (hopefully legal) could be in there.

8)

Yep.  Doesn't make sense for a busy pizza shop to buy small containers like that either.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 07:39:18 PM »

8)

I thought that was a given....you can see the top of the container is a bit beaten up.

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 08:42:53 PM »
Another thing which I would consider non standard, is 6 phone lines with wall hanging corded phones,  what appears to be a single card swipe machine, paper tickets and no POS to be seen, I saw one table calculator to add up ticket costs.  Paper tickets were stacked on a table by the make line.   The system they use is manual but works well for them, very busy.  Makes me wonder why a POS is needed...an eye opener for me.  It's was a great experience and I'm going back for sure.  It's much more mom and pop as opposed to commercial.  For sure old school.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 09:03:22 PM »
It's much more mom and pop as opposed to commercial.  For sure old school.

Love that man!!  8)

Offline BTB

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 12:23:55 PM »
Villa Nova's pizza is one of the greatest old fashion Chicago Style Thin Crust pizzas ever made.  From one of my many visits there over the years . . . . See http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8921.msg79578#msg79578
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:51:41 PM by BTB »