Author Topic: Malnatis better be looking over their shoulder  (Read 8234 times)

pdog and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Malnatis better be looking over their shoulder
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2014, 12:24:55 PM »
For mine....
I pull each Cento whole plum out individually and give it a squeeze over a bowl to get water out and then place in a 2nd bowl.....once all in I squeeze/break them up into size I want and then add the thick puree from the can to desired consistency....adjust for salt and that's it. No seasoning for me...I want those as bright and "tomatoey" as possible. I always use a sausage "patty" in mine so that is the "spices".
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2014, 04:56:40 PM »
It must have been tough parting with that beauty, LOL.

Yep.  It looked so good I used that pic on my Pinterest recipe.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2014, 09:54:13 PM »
Had the Chicago deep dish urge today.  Inspire by Nate's formula/approach, with a couple minor tweaks: I used 25% fat - half lard and half corn oil. No butter, no olive oil. I used a flour mixture comprised of 93% AP flour (9.8% protein) and 7% semola rimacinata di grano duro.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline pythonic

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
Had the Chicago deep dish urge today.  Inspire by Nate's formula/approach, with a couple minor tweaks: I used 25% fat - half lard and half corn oil. No butter, no olive oil. I used a flour mixture comprised of 93% AP flour (9.8% protein) and 7% semola rimacinata di grano duro.

Looks good Johnny.  How did it eat?

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2014, 03:54:56 PM »
Thanks Nate. I'm no CDDP expert, nor do I play one on TV, but it came out OK I think. Crust flavor was very good. I greased my pan with lots of butter, so the outside crisped up a bit, but the crumb was moist and soft- like a savory shortcrust, but more crumbly than flaky. I wouldn't hesitate to use lard again, it added to the texture and flavor! Thanks for the inspiration to give CDDP another shot!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:52:17 PM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline pythonic

« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2014, 07:44:34 PM »
Thanks Nate. I'm no CDDP expert, nor do I play one on TV, but it came out OK I think. Crust flavor was very good. I greased my pan with lots of butter, so the outside crisped up a bit, but the crumb was moist and soft- like a savory shortcrust, but more crumbly than flaky. I wouldn't hesitate to use lard again, it added to the texture and flavor! Thanks for the inspiration to give CDDP another shot!

Drop the oil to 21% and try corn oil. Corn oil is used to give the crust it's patented flavor.  It's not supposed to be too flaky either.  You want a cross between flaky and bready.   Go 46% hydration.  Also try putting your sausage directly on the cheese.

Nate

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2014, 07:52:01 PM »
I'd say the crumb was a cross between crumbly and bready. Can't tell from the pic, but there was sausage over the cheese. I added some chunks over the sauce, because I noticed some members do that.  Kind of like a sneak preview of what's to come.

When you say "drop the oil to 21% and try corn oil", do you mean to use only corn oil as a fat source? Also, it seems butter flavored Crisco is a popular product for greasing the pan.  Is butter commonly used? How about corn oil?
Il miglior fabbro

Offline pythonic

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2014, 09:09:47 PM »
I'd say the crumb was a cross between crumbly and bready. Can't tell from the pic, but there was sausage over the cheese. I added some chunks over the sauce, because I noticed some members do that.  Kind of like a sneak preview of what's to come.

When you say "drop the oil to 21% and try corn oil", do you mean to use only corn oil as a fat source? Also, it seems butter flavored Crisco is a popular product for greasing the pan.  Is butter commonly used? How about corn oil?

Got it.  I like the sneak preview.  Chicago deep dish restaurants for the norm also use an oil to coat the pan as well.  I prefer the crisco because it gives it a nice crispy outside.  I use like 80% corn/20% olive oil in my dough.  The crust should not be crumbly though.  Did u use sliced cheese?  Do you think that is perhaps coming from all the moisture/grease after cutting?   Did u use my mixing instructions?

Nate
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:13:03 PM by pythonic »