Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 49742 times)

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #320 on: February 22, 2014, 11:41:52 PM »
I hope you enjoy your stay in T town. If you do decide on some pizza, I won't make too many suggestions. I'm not sure what you like, Andolini's is the best, but you do have a lot of choices. For a great steak The Spudder, or the Blue Stone... My fave. Great aged beef.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #321 on: February 22, 2014, 11:47:09 PM »
Thanks Bob! I believe if I do not pass on the secret to my family's secret recipe. It may be lost forever. I am only one of two people that know how it was made. It will take a little bit of time to explain the procedure, so I have to go through the steps with pics. I will post in the Off Topics thread.
You're a good man. When you post it up...I will make it.  ;)
Me an Jon will have a Dog Off!   :o

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #322 on: February 23, 2014, 12:21:59 AM »
I hope you enjoy your stay in T town.

Oh, haha--I meant that as a joke, as if I were going to drive there tonight to eat your pizza.   :D

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #323 on: February 28, 2014, 11:23:01 AM »
 I got all the fixins for my Grandfathers chili.  I am going to make a batch tomorrow, and keep a record of  what I do. I will post it in  the Off- Topic Foods thread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #324 on: February 28, 2014, 12:02:32 PM »
I got all the fixins for my Grandfathers chili.  I am going to make a batch tomorrow, and keep a record of  what I do. I will post it in  the Off- Topic Foods thread.
Good deal!  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #325 on: February 28, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »
Got my chili pot ready for next week!!

jjon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #326 on: March 01, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »
Eating Pizza Factory again this weekend. This is a tasty pie.

Sausage and Onion. Cutter pan.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Musky

« Reply #327 on: March 01, 2014, 06:40:28 PM »
I'll be baking up two of these shortly.

Kevin

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #328 on: March 01, 2014, 09:07:38 PM »
Looks great!! It reminded me that I got some leftover pizza in the fridge. I know what's for breakfast.

Offline Simple Man

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #329 on: March 02, 2014, 08:06:56 AM »
Here's my 1st attempt at Garvy's Chicago Thin using the original recipe and sauce. I must say that even though I am not used to such a spicy sauce, I really enjoyed this one.

Certainly not as pretty as most I have seen on this thread but hey, looks aren't everything right?
Dave

Offline pizzabill

• Pizza Maker's journal
« Reply #330 on: April 07, 2014, 07:59:52 PM »
My first attempt at garvy's Chicago thin in the blackstone was a big hit! Thanks for a great recipe!
Pizza Maker's Journal -
http://www.PizzaManiac.com/

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #331 on: April 07, 2014, 08:31:59 PM »
pizzabill,

Good to see you back on the forum. I fondly remember your PizzaManiac website, which I used to follow until it came to an end.

Peter

Offline pizzabill

• Pizza Maker's journal
« Reply #332 on: April 10, 2014, 08:03:24 PM »
It's great to be back Peter! I've missed being able to contribute. Now that I own a blackstone oven I'm learning lots of new pizza things again. I've only had it for 4 weeks and I've averaged 8 pies per weekend. I even considered a new post at pizzamaniac.com ;)
Pizza Maker's Journal -
http://www.PizzaManiac.com/

Offline RedBeard

• Anyone seen my keys?
« Reply #333 on: April 10, 2014, 10:27:47 PM »

@BTB: Pizza Factory was in Highland, IN, just south of 80-94 and a few blocks from Hammond.  Similar style to Hammond's House of Pizza.

Having grown up in The Region myself I had not heard of Pizza Factory but this looks extremely close to another place in downtown Highland called Langel's. I worked there as a teenager, some 20 years ago, but couldn't for the life of me remember how the dough was made....so I'm pretty excited to give this one a try. Thank you.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #334 on: April 11, 2014, 09:06:03 AM »
RedBeard:

It's is definitely Region pizza but nothing like Langel's. 

I love Langel's, btw, and have tried to reproduce it at home.  That style has a much softer dough, for one thing.  Maybe I'll post that formulation in a separate thread and see if you or anyone else wants to get to work on making it better.  Mine is similar but not close enough to make me ecstatic or anything.  Langel's is more of a Cal City style, with the soft dough and crumbled sausage.  The originator of the style would be John's, if you've ever had that one.  The original location in Cal City was the best one, but it's closed now.  And like many businesses before it, it's now passed down to multiple family members in different locations, each claiming to be the original.  I've heard the Munster location is closest to the original.  This is one of the great (sub-)styles of Region thin crust, with many imitators.  John's, Langel's, Barton's (Hammond/Highland), Villa Pizza (Griffith)...I'm sure there are others.

Peace,
Garvey

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #335 on: April 11, 2014, 03:29:10 PM »
I'm still waiting for Garvey to invite all the Chicago natives for weekend of good eats........
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline RedBeard

• Anyone seen my keys?
« Reply #336 on: April 12, 2014, 12:13:43 PM »
RedBeard:

It's is definitely Region pizza but nothing like Langel's. 

I love Langel's, btw, and have tried to reproduce it at home.  That style has a much softer dough, for one thing.  Maybe I'll post that formulation in a separate thread and see if you or anyone else wants to get to work on making it better.  Mine is similar but not close enough to make me ecstatic or anything.  Langel's is more of a Cal City style, with the soft dough and crumbled sausage.  The originator of the style would be John's, if you've ever had that one.  The original location in Cal City was the best one, but it's closed now.  And like many businesses before it, it's now passed down to multiple family members in different locations, each claiming to be the original.  I've heard the Munster location is closest to the original.  This is one of the great (sub-)styles of Region thin crust, with many imitators.  John's, Langel's, Barton's (Hammond/Highland), Villa Pizza (Griffith)...I'm sure there are others.

Peace,
Garvey

If it helps I worked there (Langel's) as a prep cook. It was my job to make the dough among other things and honestly I do not remember them using yeast in their dough. It certainly didn't have any resting period. There was this little old lady named Evelyn that was the only one that had access to the actual recipes/formulations....kept it in a little notebook in her apron and would just tell me what to put in and how much. I really wish I had paid more attention.

BTW, Barton's makes me cringe anymore. We ate it for years but it has, in my opinion, went seriously down hill over the years.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:15:23 PM by RedBeard »

Offline hockman4357

« Reply #337 on: April 20, 2014, 10:41:10 AM »
Here is my first attempt at Garvy's Chicago Thin Crust.  I made the dough, sauce, and sausage as written.  The pizza was baked on a steel plate for 11 minutes with 1 additional minute on broil.  This was indeed one of the best pizzas I have made.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #338 on: April 20, 2014, 04:22:41 PM »
Nice going, hockman!  Glad you liked it.

Did you roll the edge?  That would be my only feedback: this style should not have such pronounced bones.  Roll it flat and top it as close to the edge as you feel comfortable.  Of course, if you like it with bones, that's cool.  It's just not true to type, but that's not important to everyone anyone.  YMMV.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline hockman4357

« Reply #339 on: April 21, 2014, 05:40:02 PM »
Nice going, hockman!  Glad you liked it.

Did you roll the edge?  That would be my only feedback: this style should not have such pronounced bones.  Roll it flat and top it as close to the edge as you feel comfortable.  Of course, if you like it with bones, that's cool.  It's just not true to type, but that's not important to everyone anyone.  YMMV.

Cheers,
Garvey
Hey Garvey!  Thanks for the feedback.  I did indeed roll the edge.  The pizza was 16" and rolled out really thin (.07) except for the slightly rolled edge.  I really liked the crunch of the rolled edge, so I might continue to do it this way even if it is not quite true to type.  I must say the the sauce recipe was excellent as was the italian sausage recipe.  I will no doubt continue to make this pizza.  It is a nice change from New York style that I have been working on.

pizzapan