Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 34864 times)

Offline rkrider99

Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2013, 04:29:10 PM »
The best store bought fennel sausage I know of is Premio "mild".

Bob, saw something really strange yesterday while shopping at the local BJ's Club. They've always had Premio sausage, but they had them in different packaging yesterday, and it said ,"Made exclusively for BJ's Club". They had Sweet and Hot, but no Mild. I guess I'll have to try it again with BJ's brand of Premio.

Tom

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2013, 05:27:31 PM »
Bob, saw something really strange yesterday while shopping at the local BJ's Club. They've always had Premio sausage, but they had them in different packaging yesterday, and it said ,"Made exclusively for BJ's Club". They had Sweet and Hot, but no Mild. I guess I'll have to try it again with BJ's brand of Premio.

Tom
Have you checked at your Walmart Tom...not all of them carry it .
Also, Costco is a supplier.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »
Bob, Premio is all over the place down here. I've seen it at Walmart, Sams Club, BJ's Club, and a few of the regular grocery stores.

I'll tell you, it's not bad, but just doesn't have that real fennel kick for me. We have SweetBay grocery stores down here, and they're store brand is a much closer representation of Chicago's Italian, and I still add fennel to that.

Tom

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2013, 05:37:43 PM »
Bob, Premio is all over the place down here. I've seen it at Walmart, Sams Club, BJ's Club, and a few of the regular grocery stores.

I'll tell you, it's not bad, but just doesn't have that real fennel kick for me. We have SweetBay grocery stores down here, and they're store brand is a much closer representation of Chicago's Italian, and I still add fennel to that.

Tom
10-4...btw, have you had the Premio "mild"?

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2013, 05:44:18 PM »
I don't think I've bought Premio in years. We've been here 12 years, and I've always searched for the tastes of home, Vienna Red Hots, Italian Beefs, Italian sausage, thin crust pizza, and a lot of others too numerous to mention. Actually we like Hot Italian best so I can't say that I would have ever tried the mild. I guess I'll have to try it out on your recommendation.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2013, 09:01:35 PM »
WOW!

I followed the recipe 100%, except I used a cutter pan. The sauce was deep. The dough was easy to work with and crisped up beautifully. This was a sausage and red onion pizza. I made two...but the second one was devoured while I was photographing the first.

Thanks, Garvey....

I'M EATING PIZZA FACTORY!!

Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline redox

« Reply #226 on: July 18, 2013, 10:08:12 PM »
WOW!

I followed the recipe 100%, except I used a cutter pan. The sauce was deep. The dough was easy to work with and crisped up beautifully. This was a sausage and red onion pizza. I made two...but the second one was devoured while I was photographing the first.

Thanks, Garvey....

Looks great! I used a cutter pan too. I love Garvey's pizza. Yours is terrific. Sorry about short sentences, hate typing on iPad.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2013, 10:24:07 PM »
WOW!

Thanks, Garvey....

That is a really fine looking Chicago thin pizza Mmmph.  :chef:
I like using the cutter pan for that small lip it gives around the edge of the pie.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #228 on: July 18, 2013, 11:38:36 PM »
dynamite lookin pizza!!!! nice work!!  and once again way to go garvey!!!  awesome recipe!! 

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2013, 07:48:30 AM »
Garvey, have you tried your recipe using HG flour vs the AP flour used in your recipe. If so, what did you find. I ask because I have a bunch f the HG flour readily on hand.

thanks
jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
Garvey, have you tried your recipe using HG flour vs the AP flour used in your recipe. If so, what did you find. I ask because I have a bunch f the HG flour readily on hand.

thanks
jon

Same here.  I may give it a try as well.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2013, 11:37:05 PM »
I have played around with higher gluten flour but have always come back to AP.  This is low rent, hole-in-the-wall, standard Chicago thin.  It's gotta be AP for me. 

But have at it!  Play around and report back...

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2013, 08:44:57 AM »
I have played around with higher gluten flour but have always come back to AP.  This is low rent, hole-in-the-wall, standard Chicago thin.  It's gotta be AP for me. 

But have at it!  Play around and report back...

Cheers,
Garvey
What he said.... ^^^

Offline Garvey

« Reply #233 on: August 05, 2013, 09:47:27 AM »
BTW, I keep HG flour on hand for when I make sourdough rye breads.  In other words, there ARE actually other things to bake besides pizza.  :-D

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #234 on: August 05, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »
I love it for making ciabatta bread. Our favorite is sauerkraut/jalapeno.

jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #235 on: August 22, 2013, 03:20:09 AM »
Garvey, in case you missed my post on the Blackstone thread, I highlighted your pie done on the BS. It was outstanding and using the same process I will be making a couple to go to a Dr friend of mines house to go with the pot luck brew day as he makes 50 gallons of beer and we drink the 3 he has on tap. They love my pizza and or bread so without one or the other they'd lock the doors on me :P :-D

jon
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25127.msg272456.html#msg272456

Offline Garvey

« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »
Wow, I hadn't seen that.  Thanks, Jon.  I am glad you like the Pizza Factory.  I need an outdoor oven!

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #237 on: August 22, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »
You would NOT be unhappy with getting a BS. Hands down, one of the BEST, if not THE BEST 370 bucks I've spent....you would LOVE it!!

jon

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #238 on: September 05, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »
OK, my first try at a no knead Chicago Thin on the BS. First the dough. I just stuck it in the fridge. I hope it's supposed to look like this. It seemed a little dry.

Let it sit in the fridge until Saturday night or Sunday's dinner, if I can wait that long.

Offline redox

« Reply #239 on: September 05, 2013, 06:35:05 PM »
OK, my first try at a no knead Chicago Thin on the BS. First the dough. I just stuck it in the fridge. I hope it's supposed to look like this. It seemed a little dry.

Let it sit in the fridge until Saturday night or Sunday's dinner, if I can wait that long.
I've made this pizza and it turned out great. Yours will be just fine if you weighed everything accurately. Since it did not get kneaded, it needs the full 72 hours for the water to diffuse through the dough and for gluten development to take place. This is still my favorite on this site.  :drool: