Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 43851 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #260 on: November 01, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »
I have a question that I have not gotten or actually too many search responses on.

Can I make a Chicago thin crust using Caputo flour?

Balistreris in Milwaukee made this super thin crust pizza, very airy,  almost like a saltine cracker, but without the layers.  I'm really trying to duplicate it and am getting close, but I'm not there yet. My next experiment would be try Caputo.

I'm hoping the high temp tolerance of Caputo will allow me to get that crispness on the Blackstone without making it too charred.

Tom

MAN Balisteri's looks AWESOME  :drool:
http://balistreris.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Balistreris-MilwaukeesBestPizza.jpg
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:39:41 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #261 on: November 01, 2013, 09:50:48 PM »
It's #1 in pizza for me, and what I strive to imitate.
The crust is paper thin, and so tender, but crisp.
I haven't had it now in over 10 years. I may need to fly up there just to taste it again.

Online Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #262 on: November 02, 2013, 03:02:30 PM »
You might get some better help looking/posting in the cracker style sections of the greater forum.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #263 on: November 03, 2013, 08:44:15 PM »
I have a question that I have not gotten or actually too many search responses on.

Can I make a Chicago thin crust using Caputo flour?

Balistreris in Milwaukee made this super thin crust pizza, very airy,  almost like a saltine cracker, but without the layers.  I'm really trying to duplicate it and am getting close, but I'm not there yet. My next experiment would be try Caputo.

I'm hoping the high temp tolerance of Caputo will allow me to get that crispness on the Blackstone without making it too charred.

Tom

I tried it once on the BS using SI 00 flour with 'just ok' results. There are better ones that I've done on the BS using HG flour, just do a par-bake and run around 600-700 temps

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2013, 05:47:36 AM »
I tried it Saturday evening. It turned out OK. Nothing special. I think I launched it at about 750-775 on the bottom stone, and while it was paper thin, it charred a little too much before the middle cooked.
I may try it again, and then again, maybe not.

Tom

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #265 on: November 04, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »
I tried it Saturday evening. It turned out OK. Nothing special. I think I launched it at about 750-775 on the bottom stone, and while it was paper thin, it charred a little too much before the middle cooked.
I may try it again, and then again, maybe not.

Tom

Hey Tom, I'm not sure what formulation or style you're referring to, but if it's a Chicago thin then those temps are way, way hotter than is typically used.  Chicago thins are generally baked between 425 and 500.

Offline rkrider99

« Reply #266 on: November 04, 2013, 05:58:27 PM »
I agree with you. I let the blackstone get ahead of me. I lit it up, and went inside to make the pizza. I came back out with the pizza, hit the stone with the IR gun, and immediately figured it was too hot, but then again, this is Caputo, which is somewhat tolerant of the heat.

One of these days, when I'm fooling around again and experimenting, I'll try it at the lower temp, if I can get it low enough on the BS..

Tom

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #267 on: November 04, 2013, 07:51:47 PM »
I just wanted to thank you again for sharing your sauce recipe on page 1. Many people do not share their sauce recipes. Thanks again.

TomN

Online Garvey

« Reply #268 on: November 04, 2013, 08:31:22 PM »
I just wanted to thank you again for sharing your sauce recipe on page 1. Many people do not share their sauce recipes. Thanks again.

You're welcome! 

That was (/is?) the biggest shortcoming of these forums.  First and foremost, this seems to be a dough/crust community.  I actually didn't join and only occasionally browsed around for years and years because of this.  Then I thought the best way to change things was to jump in myself.  So I always include my sauce recipes (e.g., my Aurelio's recipe is somewhere on here, too).  But my best guess is that folks here undervalue sauce or something.  I dunno.  I still can't figure that aspect out about this forum.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #269 on: November 04, 2013, 10:53:22 PM »
In my case, the sauce recipe would be: "One can of good quality crushed tomatoes". There just isn't that much to say about most of my sauces.  That said, I am all in favor of more "sauce community". And I really love the Garvey pizza sauce too (as documented above). 

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #270 on: November 04, 2013, 11:18:30 PM »
And I'll add this, if anyone hasn't tried the seasoning blend, it is GREAT! I took a few liberties to adjust to my own taste and converted it into a bulk recipe and it has become my "GO TO" Italian blend. I posted in the "Off Topic Foods" under 'Chorizo Spaghetti Sauce' about using it in that. It really is a great seasoning blend to be used on WAY more than pizza. VERY versatile spice blend. The leftover sauce will be a lasagne tomorrow :drool: Thanks again to Garvey!!!

jon

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #271 on: November 05, 2013, 08:25:59 AM »
That was (/is?) the biggest shortcoming of these forums.  First and foremost, this seems to be a dough/crust community.  I actually didn't join and only occasionally browsed around for years and years because of this.  Then I thought the best way to change things was to jump in myself.  So I always include my sauce recipes (e.g., my Aurelio's recipe is somewhere on here, too).  But my best guess is that folks here undervalue sauce or something.  I dunno.  I still can't figure that aspect out about this forum.

Garvey,

As one who has observed these sorts of matters over the years, there is a fair amount of truth to what you say about pizza sauces. They have pretty much always been stepchildren to the dough. In this vein, I once started a monthly challenge in which I asked members to post their favorite red pizza sauces. As you can see from http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9744.0.html, the silence was deafening.

In my experience, tomatoes and sauces have always been intensely personal and highly opinion based. And people can be very vocal in expressing their love or hatred for a particular sauce or tomato. That is why I rarely comment on them. My opinion would be no better or worse than any other. More than once, I have seen members ask other members for their favorite or best pizza sauces only to pan them when they were submitted and tried. Similarly, I don't think that there is any canned tomato product that a member has loved on this forum that someone else couldn't stand. And heaven help you if you cook your pizza sauce :-D.

The above said, there are some pizza sauces that do attract others and have become favorites. Yours is one of them. And November's unique pizza sauce, as described at Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3735.msg32136.html#msg32136, is another. People also like clones of pizza sauces, perhaps more so than original pizza sauces. A good example of this is the Papa John's clone pizza sauces at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6633.0.html. Elsewhere on the forum, clones of the Pizza Hut and Domino's sauces have also been posted, and others have been attempted.

I'm glad you decided to stick around and to post your favorite Chicago thin style, sauce, sausage and seasonings.

Peter

Online Garvey

« Reply #272 on: November 05, 2013, 11:24:03 AM »
Peter:

Thanks for the reply.  That thread is shocking, indeed.  Only two recipes contributed?  Crazy.

I agree that the clone recipes tend to gain more traction, since an actual benchmark exists in the original recipe.  That is typically where we see more group contributions, but even that is not always the case.  My sauce recipe is indeed a clone...of a place that no longer exists.  So I don't feel bad when someone doesn't like it.  I'm only paying tribute to the original.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline IHK

« Reply #273 on: November 05, 2013, 09:26:21 PM »
Hey everyone,

Special thanks to Garvey and the rest of you who shared so much information. I made two of these pizzas and they turned out great! I took a couple pictures but they are nothing compared to some of the ones already posted.

Let me rephrase what I wrote above, the pizzas were awesome!!! I will definitely be making this again very soon and take some better pictures.

Thanks again!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #274 on: November 05, 2013, 09:52:34 PM »
Hey everyone,

Special thanks to Garvey and the rest of you who shared so much information. I made two of these pizzas and they turned out great! I took a couple pictures but they are nothing compared to some of the ones already posted.

Let me rephrase what I wrote above, the pizzas were awesome!!! I will definitely be making this again very soon and take some better pictures.

Thanks again!

Post them pics anyway, I'm sure they look fine!

jon

Offline vic311

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #275 on: November 07, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
Garvey,

Thanks for all of your efforts in putting this recipe together.  Made a batch of dough yesterday and can't wait to make some delicious pizza on Sunday!!!

Joel

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #276 on: November 07, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »
You're welcome! 

Cheers,
Garvey

I have found the same to be true. I even started a topic to get people sharing their sauce recipes:
"If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?"

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22498.0.html

But not everyone is willing to share their sauce recipe. Not sure why? Thanks again,

TomN
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:06:58 PM by TomN »

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #277 on: November 10, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »
After looking at the pies, I decided it had been too long since I have made a Garvey pie. No mods, just followed the directions to the letter. I also made the crust thinner than my last pies, and it was a 15" pie. It was a 3 day rest in the fridge. It was a sausage pie, and a lot more sausage than usual. Whole milk mozz, and the sauce was Garvey's.  I am still amazed how wonderful the sausage is, and I love how spicy the sauce is. No more store bought sausage for me. Thanks again for sharing your great recipe. This is one of my fave pies, and one of the easiest to make.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 07:29:18 PM by nick57 »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #278 on: November 10, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »
I have found the same to be true. I even started a topic to get people sharing their sauce recipes:
"If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?"

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22498.0.html

But not everyone is willing to share their sauce recipe. Not sure why? Thanks again,

TomN

If I gave you a bag of AP flour, how would you make pizza dough?

Online Garvey

« Reply #279 on: November 10, 2013, 08:51:46 PM »
Nick:

Thanks for the kind words and the outstanding photographs.  Man, that pie looks so tasty and picture perfect.  You really nailed it!  I am glad to share this style of pizza with everyone who wants to try it.

Cheers,
Garvey