Author Topic: Chicago Thin - a labor of love  (Read 43069 times)

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
Re: Chicago Thin - a labor of love
« Reply #280 on: November 11, 2013, 12:30:06 PM »
Thanks! Does the thickness look about right? I reheated the slices in a covered pan on the stove. They were very crispy, just like when the pie came fresh out of the oven. I may up the fennel a little on my next one. A friend of mine bought a Domino's thin and crispy sausage pizza the day before I cooked this one. The crust was limp and soggy, and the sauce was almost dry and you had to look for the sausage. It was worse than a frozen pizza. I am going to make your pie for her, I can't wait to see her reaction. Have a great Thanksgiving.  Hmmm..... A turkey and dressing pizza may be on the horizon. Maybe not :-D

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #281 on: November 11, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
Yeah, man, the thickness looks right on.  With a 300g dough ball, anything from 13.5-ish to 15-ish inches is within spec...until I get a sheeter.   :D

Online pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #282 on: November 12, 2013, 02:25:19 PM »
Nick:

Thanks for the kind words and the outstanding photographs.  Man, that pie looks so tasty and picture perfect.  You really nailed it!  I am glad to share this style of pizza with everyone who wants to try it.

Cheers,
Garvey

I second that.  That pie is beautiful Nick.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #283 on: November 12, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »
Thanks guys! It is rewarding to create something much better than you can buy. I have to get used to the color of the sausage, I used to precook it before putting it on my pies. I was afraid that I may undercook the sausage. On my NY style I do cook the sausage because of the short cook time. On Garvey's style and Pete's Papa John's clone, it's a longer cook time. I really like the flavor and texture of the sausage when cooked on the pie.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:30:18 PM by nick57 »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #284 on: November 13, 2013, 04:07:51 AM »
Garvey, have you tried your crust with a 50/50 HG and 00?? Thinking of trying it this week. I'll post the results/pics if I do. I know 3 racks of spares are in the mix too so it might have to be a pizza and ribs nite/weelend!!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Garvey

« Reply #285 on: November 13, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »
Jon:

You asked this same question a few pages back (it's OK, I'll soon be able to "hide my own Easter eggs", too  ;D).  I have played around with higher gluten flour but have always come back to AP.  This is low rent, hole-in-the-wall, standard Chicago thin.  It's gotta be AP for me.

But have at it!  Play around and report back...

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline Musky

« Reply #286 on: November 20, 2013, 09:19:11 PM »
I made a batch of this dough and it's in the frig until Saturday.  Looking forward to it.  I'm going to try one on the stone, and one in a cutter pan.

Offline Musky

« Reply #287 on: November 21, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »
Not much rise in the refrigerator out of my dough after 20 hours.  I hope I didn't screw anything up.  Lots of time to go yet, though.  I bought the ingredients for the sauce so I'm going to give that a try, Saturday, too.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #288 on: November 22, 2013, 10:27:05 PM »
Musky:

Of course, assuming your yeast is OK and such... this recipe is a long, slow ferment.  What you describe sounds like the normal, desired behavior.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline Musky

« Reply #289 on: November 23, 2013, 10:07:53 PM »
Garvey's Pizza Factory formula I made tonight.  The one thing I love about making several pies is I get one.  For me.  Mine.  With toppings my wife and daughter don't like.  This had sausage, a mix of olives, mostly green, sauteed baby portabella slices, and anchovies.  It rolled out easily and wasn't too sticky.  It had a nice crunchy bottom with a little chew.  The bottom on this browned fairly quickly, and the cheese slower.  I hit it with the infrared broiler in my oven at 9 minutes to get some browning to the cheese.  Paired with this sauce and toppings, this was really good.  As good as any pizza I've eaten in a long time.  Salty from the fish and olives, succulent/greasy from the sausage, and lightly mushroomed.  Good flavor to the crust.  The sauce is also really good.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #290 on: November 24, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »
The one thing I love about making several pies is I get one.  For me.  Mine.  With toppings my wife and daughter don't like. 

Preach it, brother!  I think we all suffer from this!   :D

My buddy Dave (co-creator of this recipe) refers to this as "the lifeboats," as in, make the first couple of pizzas to take care of the "women and children first", and then make OUR own pizza(s), for US.  So when we get together for a big pizza party, we'll always do the lifeboats first.  Then the real pizza can begin.

P.S. That combo you have there sounds amazing.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 12:28:16 PM by Garvey »

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #291 on: November 24, 2013, 05:40:53 PM »
Hey team can get back to DEEP DISH?  so much about thin crust I am loosing my taste buds...oh boy am I going to hear about this....WHAT A GREAT FORUM...THANKS ALL

Online pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #292 on: November 25, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »
I wonder if NYers would like our thin crust.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #293 on: November 28, 2013, 01:11:38 AM »
Garvey, I made a couple pies tonite using the 50/50 GM 00 flour and Kyrol HG using your formulation and Craigs "Baker's Yeast Quatity Prediction Model". Both pies turned out superb! Here's the link to that thread http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26831.msg289727.html#msg289727

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Musky

« Reply #294 on: November 30, 2013, 11:04:27 PM »
Today I tried making some NY style pies for the first time, but made a batch of this dough as a back up in case of massive failure.  I didn't get around to rolling one out until it had been out of the fridge for five hours.  It was really soft and easy to spread out.  So I decided to try something.  I opened up with my hands then folded it is a couple times.  Spread it out with my hands again, then rolled it with a pin very thin.  It kind of came out laminated like a cracker crust, but less crispy, though it did have crunch.  It was really good.  My wife loved it.

Kevin

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #295 on: January 17, 2014, 09:53:54 PM »
I gave this one a go tonight and it tasted amazing. Thanks Garvey for the recipe and easy to follow instructions.

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #296 on: January 17, 2014, 09:54:45 PM »
a couple more..

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #297 on: January 17, 2014, 09:58:06 PM »
Very, very nice....what did you cook that on and at what temp please. :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #298 on: January 17, 2014, 10:02:20 PM »
I preheated to 550 and turned it down to 450 like the instructions said. I cooked it on my baking steel.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #299 on: January 17, 2014, 10:18:01 PM »
I preheated to 550 and turned it down to 450 like the instructions said. I cooked it on my baking steel.
Thanks, I like the look of steel baked pies in this type of pizza....you did good.  :chef:

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"