Author Topic: Do different flours or a combination of them rise more than others?  (Read 700 times)

Offline capamando

Hello,

I decided to post this question outside of my "55lbs of Supremo Italiano 00".... I made two batches of dough, one 100% Supremo Italiano 00 and the other one 50% Supremo Italiano 00 and 50% King Arthur's Bread Flour.  The 100% "00" has risen around 30 % more than the 50/50 mix over a period of five hours at room temp. I used the same formula, water temperature, mixing times with my Kitchen Aid etc. There was a difference of maybe 20-30 minutes between the two ...... Could that be the difference is the rise? I tend to think not...but maybe some of our more experienced members can educate me on this particular issue.

Thank you  ;D

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Do different flours or a combination of them rise more than others?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:56:09 AM »
My experience is that the Caputo flour tends to make a slightly softer dough than K.A., so I'm guessing that the 50/50 blend dough was a little tighter and as such it didn't show as much rise, or gain in volume as the softer 100% Caputo flour dough. The amount of fermentation both doughs received was the same, the softer dough just visually got a little bigger because it was a softer dough. You can demonstrate this by using the same flour for two doughs and adding more water to one dough, the dough with more water will be the softer of the two and show more rise.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline capamando

Re: Do different flours or a combination of them rise more than others?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 09:25:49 AM »
Mr. Lehmann,

Thanks Doc for your reply.