Author Topic: Pizza Hut ruins the classics!  (Read 10599 times)

Offline NY pizzastriver

Pizza Hut ruins the classics!
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:30:01 AM »
Ok Ok. So Pizza Hut isn't the greatest pie on earth, granted, but the pan pizza has long been a classic flavor and 'once in a while' nice 'retro' thing to indulge in. There have even been many threads on the board trying to recreate the magical buttery crust, etc.

So Friday I ordered one and had it delivered, 1st Pizza Hut in years. It arrived with a blond, undercooked, un-crispy, doughy crust. Meanwhile the top was cooked and melted fine!

I called and complained and asked ''Aren't your pies on conveyor belts, making it impossible to over or under cook?"

She replied: "Yes, and we've had a lot of complaints about this lately, you see we're using a new healthy oil, and we're trying to get the timing right".

I said: "What! Yes, that's your problem, the new oil is not getting hot enough and it alters cook times, but why would you do that anyway!? People know a pan pizza is not health food, but they DO want it to taste like your classic pan pizza."

She agreed, took my complaint to send on, and gave me credit for a free pizza. I'll never order said free pizza, not after the knowledge that the classic pan flavor is forever GONE! So ends the era, first they took the lasagna off the menu in the 80s, now this!

R.I.P. Pizza Hut
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:32:07 AM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline NY pizzastriver

Re: Pizza Hut ruins the classics,... updated!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 04:56:30 PM »
So today I get a call from a gal who was with the franchisee. She was with P.H. cooperate from 86, and in more recent years with the biggest franchisee holding three hundred something stores. I e-mailed Pizza Hut as well, by the way, so she was replying due to that.

Turns out they did change the oil to a low cholesterol model, but it was two years ago, so that wasn't it at all! She pointed to many possibilities including water in pan, under proofed, etc. We ended up talking pizza making, Pizza Hut in the 80s, and for the record she agrees people know it's not health food so make it so it tastes good. So they are redeemed.

They also once lowered the amount oil spread in the pan due to these same overzealous health pressures. It didn't work out, they added most back, but still less than the vintage days.

Anyway I just wanted to set this straight since this thread caused such a scuttlebutt of intrigue and feverish debate. Take it easy, you can still order a pan with confidence!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:58:24 PM by NY pizzastriver »
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline shuboyje

Re: Pizza Hut ruins the classics!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:43:45 PM »
Pizza hut has been ruined, but long before this.  Like most other american companies it was ruined by greed.  My wife was a RGM(general manager) for years and finally left last summer because she could not take what they had become.  The Michigan region, which is the top region in the nation, was corporate owned up until 2 years ago.  At that point Yum brands(who own pizza hut,A&W, Taco Bell, KFC, ect.) sold the entire region to Redberry based in canada.  The entire premise was for redberry to get rid of the highest paid people and up the profit and then sell back to yum.  Redberry owns other regions and has already done this there.  The meat of my comment is that their expectations for labor and food costs are so unrealistic that even the top stores do not hit them without cheating which leads to lesser products.  Sauce is watered down, cheese cups meant for medium pies are used for large, pies are cooked under proofed because you cannot afford to prep too much dough and end up with waste.  This is all must be what Yum brands wants, because they sold the region specifically for this to be done.   
-Jeff

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 11:51:05 PM »
Pizza Hut started the path to ruination when they switched to premix. They went completely off the rails with the frozen crap.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 12:14:12 AM by Pizzamaster »

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 07:32:32 PM »
I loved their pizza in the 1970's. Why do these companies always mess with goodness?Maybe they should have a retro limited-time special. They must still have the original recipe.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:38:49 AM »
This article discusses some of the steps that Yum Brands is taking to lift domestic sales at its Pizza Hut and sister restaurant units: http://adage.com/article/agency-news/yum-ceo-challenges-roster-agencies-boost-business/228694/.

Peter

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »
"Pizza" Hut is dog s*#t.

There is a "Pizza" Hut on the other side of the building our office occupies. Their giant vent hood is in the back of the building where we park. When I leave work, particularly on weekends when they are busy, the smell of whatever is coming out of that vent hood makes me want to vomit....like plastic meat or something.

This chain is a posterchild for Food as a Comestable and the sooner they all burn to the ground, the better.

I'm somewhat kidding of course, but I have actual venom towards such establishments and what have done to food.

The fact that this is the best selling pizza in the USA is proof positive that there is indeed a sucker born every minute --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

scott123

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 03:17:55 PM »
Amen!

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »
Wow, yeah I didn't realize the de-evolution of the product was so glaring. So before premix what, they had mixers and each store followed the recipe of flour, yeast, powdered skim milk, etc? I can almost see a premix being more consistent, not sure what the downside on that turn would really be?

Going to frozen balls, though, yeah completely off the rails indeed. It was great in the 70's. Unique, new, amazing crust texture and flavor, yep. I like the idea of them going retro, would do wonders...but then again people seem to like it as is based on this 'top rating'. I've seen some close in affluent areas around here though, and sit empty for years.

Offline aawshads

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 12:53:18 PM »
For someone in the industry there is really no way they would try to go back.  The biggest reason for going to a premix product (just add water or water and yeast) is for consistency across the chain in the flavor profile.  When there are 1000+ people making it, even if they are following the same recipe, there are differences in measuring, mistakes, and people who think they know how to improve it by adding a little more of this or that.  I have tested numerous times and you can get a great product from a premix, in fact most people would not be able to tell that anything had changed. 

BUT, a frozen product, even with the advances that the industry has seen, is a very different beast. it will have a different flavor/texture profile as well as cook differently from the fresh made product no matter what they do to it.  In order to freeze a product they have to change protein levels of the flour, use a different cold tolerant strain of yeast, and usually add some elasticizers to the product, altering pretty much everything.

The move to frozen, from the chain perspective saves a TON of money.  You dont have to purchase a $25000+ mixer, a $5000+ dough roller, and the repair costs associated with them.  You save the labor that used to be used to make the dough.  You also don't have to purchase all of the smallwares required. 

I am a fan of the fresh made dough in every restaurant, but don't expect PH to ever go back.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 11:10:34 PM »
For someone in the industry there is really no way they would try to go back.  The biggest reason for going to a premix product (just add water or water and yeast) is for consistency across the chain in the flavor profile.  When there are 1000+ people making it, even if they are following the same recipe, there are differences in measuring, mistakes, and people who think they know how to improve it by adding a little more of this or that.  I have tested numerous times and you can get a great product from a premix, in fact most people would not be able to tell that anything had changed. 

BUT, a frozen product, even with the advances that the industry has seen, is a very different beast. it will have a different flavor/texture profile as well as cook differently from the fresh made product no matter what they do to it.  In order to freeze a product they have to change protein levels of the flour, use a different cold tolerant strain of yeast, and usually add some elasticizers to the product, altering pretty much everything.

The move to frozen, from the chain perspective saves a TON of money.  You dont have to purchase a $25000+ mixer, a $5000+ dough roller, and the repair costs associated with them.  You save the labor that used to be used to make the dough.  You also don't have to purchase all of the smallwares required. 

I am a fan of the fresh made dough in every restaurant, but don't expect PH to ever go back.
Money is the bottom line, but if their quality is sub-par, then the money they lose would outweigh the money to invest in mixers, rollers, etc. That's a paradigm in fast food that needs to shift.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »
This article discusses some of the steps that Yum Brands is taking to lift domestic sales at its Pizza Hut and sister restaurant units: http://adage.com/article/agency-news/yum-ceo-challenges-roster-agencies-boost-business/228694/.

Peter
/rant

I have had 3 PH thin pizzas since Peter posted the Yum brands info.  They are not the same as they were just a few months ago.  Today at luch I had 3 slices of thin and crispy crust and a salad.  I spent the last dollar I will ever spend in PH again.  I asked the manager, who was running the register, if he had noticed a difference in the dough.  He said yes, especially the hand tossed.  I told him the thin wasn't the same either.

The first thin I had, I told myself, that maybe it was just off.  But two more have "proven" to me that the current version is the way they have decided to save money somehow.  They can take their chemicals, dough enhancers, and whatever bio-engineered oils they may use....   they can take their commisary kitchen, producing the least expensive, frozen, partially frozen doughs with engineered yeast to withstand a nuclear holocost and shove it.

/ end rant
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline stickygoo

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 05:08:46 AM »
When I was a kid, I remember eating Pizza Hut and absolutely loving it. A few years ago, still in the States, it just didn't appeal to me very much at all, way too greasy, and certainly not in a good way. Here in Europe, a little while ago we decided to try it out once more, even though my girlfriend also had the impression that it was bad. We decided because we always walked by the delivery place on our way to mall and it smelled delicious. So we get it and it was absolutely awful. I'm sure it's just that their business practices have declined so much over the years, because, for instance, I also remember loving Godfather's pizza, and up until I moved to Europe, I was still ordering it. I'd go for one right about now (Cain hasn't ruined it for me  ;D).

Offline Qapla

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »
If PH and YUM keep going the way they are they will suffer the same fate as Pizza Inn. Back in the 70's and 80's PI managed to get as high as the 4th largest Pizza chain in the nation. Then they assumed the practice of "lowering overhead" by cutting out the good people they had running the stores in favor of less qualified people who would work for half the pay.

They made other changes and messed with the food. They went under rather fast once the slide started.

Thing is ... I liked PI much more then I liked PH. I still miss PI.

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 10:10:52 PM »
PI took a dump because the owner got caught with his pants down. Litteraly by his wife who divorced him and the company gor sold off.

Offline CandideWolf

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 06:22:20 PM »
Not being alive in the 70s and just recently starting to appreciate pizza more, I could still eat Pizza Hut and enjoy it. It is more of a primal enjoyment knowing that the grease is the best flavor. If anyone can find me a better bad pizza in Georgia, I would gladly swear off the hut.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
You could go to Varasanos. Not a bad pizza at all though. He created the most popular pizza recipe blog ever. I would love to go if I was in Georgia.

Jeff

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 01:49:23 PM »
I remember as a kid in the '70's thinking that Pizza Hut was the best thing since sliced pizza. Over the years my tastes have changed, but I could usually still force down a slice or two from Pizza Hut. A couple of weeks ago we were visiting some friends and they ordered Pizza Hut for dinner. When did they change the sauce? It was real sweet. I can't stand sweet pizza sauce. I always used to think that their sauce was decent, but I could barely eat a slice of this stuff.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 04:40:42 PM »
My wife wanted stuffed crust last night. I tried to tell her their stuffed crust was worse then their pan. Im glad to say, she wont be bugging for stuffed crust anymore...yuck!

Offline alrafa

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 04:16:52 AM »
They still world largest pizza marketer. Their distribution channel is magnificence. In most country they have franchisee. Pizza hut teach some county to eat pizza.  :chef:

Offline ski9600

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 08:20:22 PM »
Had Pizza Hut (didn't they change their name to "The Hut"?) for takeout company lunch this past summer.  Six pizzas for 10 bucks each, and each of them horrible.  The crust is denser and not even a little bit greasy anymore.  I guessed that it was some change in order to offer the $10/any size any toppings offer, but maybe this is how it is overall now.

The PH near me offers a lunch buffet, and I went for that a few years ago and just thought that they had a different pizza for the lunch buffet than if you ordered a whole pie for dinner.  Guess not.

pizzapan