Author Topic: Metal Peel Problems.....Any Secrets???  (Read 1519 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Metal Peel Problems.....Any Secrets???
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:31:57 AM »
I'm not a WFO guy and I usually work with a wooden peel. I was at a get together last night with a WFO and only a metal peel. Is there a way to "lube" the metal peel in some way to avoud stickung. Would a quick wiping with waxed paper be beneficial? Anyone have "tricks", besides experience and flour!

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Metal Peel Problems.....Any Secrets???
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 04:47:13 PM »
Use cornmeal and flour. The flour absorbs the moisture and the cornmeal helps it slide. Also work a fast as you can because the longer the pie sets on the peel, the more the chance that it will stick.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 10:04:28 PM »
I'm not a WFO guy and I usually work with a wooden peel. I was at a get together last night with a WFO and only a metal peel. Is there a way to "lube" the metal peel in some way to avoud stickung. Would a quick wiping with waxed paper be beneficial? Anyone have "tricks", besides experience and flour!
If it is a slotted metal peel,  I would recommend making sure that the opened skin is sitting on a thin bed of flour.  The slots will drop out most of the extra flour before placing in the oven.

If is is not a slotted metal peel, I would recommend making sure that the opened skin is sitting on a thin bed of flour. The non slotted peel will not drop out the extra flour.  Practice, Practice, Practice. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:45:06 AM »
Hydration of the dough is one of the "tricks" to using a metal peel. If your dough is in the 50% range, then a metal peel is easily used without issue, but higher hydrations need attention to detail in prep-dusting with flour and gluten development. I have found that even higher hydration doughs are not that sticky when properly developed.

John

Offline Pizza Meister

• Now that's a pizza!
    • superpeel
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »
Something that is less often said, in this regard........being a very good conductor of heat, a metal peel only has to rest on top of a heated stone momentarily before the blade gets hot enough to start cooking the dough.  Just as it stick initially to the stone, it WILL also cook (stick) to the peel surface.  Once that happens it is all over.  Lesson move quickly into and out of the oven, and do not rest/slide a metal peel flat on the baking surface, expecially in a WFO.  Of course a very generous coating of "lubricant" may help to prevent this, but it is not that hard to get "bare spots" under the dough on a metal peel.

PM
BTW, we are looking for good belt "fabric" for a WFO version of the Super Peel.  If anyone has a thought on this, please let me know.  Food safe, high temp and good release properties, that all!!!  :)
"Infringement is the "sinisterest" form of flattery"

Offline alex_chef2000

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »
Hidratation should be under 60% and try to dust the peel with flour before using it, after baking any pizza clean the peel with paper towel and dust again with flour. 

You get used to this kind of peel, IMO it works better once you practice.

Offline lennyk

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 05:36:26 PM »
rice flour works very well
easy to get it to coat the entire peel evenly

Offline ThePieman

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 03:51:01 PM »
I started out long ago with an aluminum peel. When it was brand new, it worked, but there was always a race from when the skin was placed till when it was dressed. Too long, and the pie would stick. Eventually the peel became scratched from use. This made it even more difficult to use. Lower hydration dough can help.

One danger with using an aluminum peel is that it is a super high conductor of heat. which the peel can absorb quickly and cause the stone to rapidly cool and cause thermal shock to the stone. This thermal shock will eventually cause your stone to break.

Do yourself a huge favor and buy or make yourself a wooden peel.   

Offline onepercent99

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 09:35:42 PM »
Dave,I just read somewhere about an old trick of the trade.When you're ready to slide the pie in the oven,lift an edge of the dough.blow some air under the crust,and immediately drop the edge of the pie,thereby creating an air pocket under the pie,making it easier to slide off the peel.Haven't tried this myself,but
i will try it tomorrow.Got some dough in the fridge right now.

pizzapan