Author Topic: My first attempts at Chicago Deep Dish  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Pizza da pie

My first attempts at Chicago Deep Dish
« on: February 11, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »
So I spent the last 2 weekends attempting Chicago deep dish using vcb's recipe on his website. The first 2 I made I followed the recipe exactly. Not sure what did it but the crust was very hard on the bottom, not as tender as I hoped for. I think I probably should have cooked it in the pan directly on the oven rack instead of the stone. Of course I could have just overcooked the whole thing too. The crust had good flavor though. The rest of the pizza was good, I just need more sauce and cheese to please the family.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:57:12 PM by Pizza da pie »

Offline Pizza da pie

Re: My first attempts at Chicago Deep Dish
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 02:56:14 PM »
A few more pics:

Offline Pizza da pie

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 03:05:08 PM »
Last weekend I tried it again but this time I substituted butter for the olive oil in the crust recipe. The crust came out a bit better, not as crunchy and a more biscuit like texture. It was still a little hard on the outside for my tastes but once again I may have cooked it a little too long. I used more cheese and sauce this time and got better reviews from the family. We even had it for leftovers the next night and everyone agreed it still tasted good warmed up.

Online CDNpielover

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 05:45:45 PM »
Looks great!   :chef:  except you shouldn't be pre-cooking your sausage...  I know they do that at Dominos, but you do that in Chicago and you'll be crucified!   :-D

Offline Pizza da pie

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
Looks great!   :chef:  except you shouldn't be pre-cooking your sausage...  I know they do that at Dominos, but you do that in Chicago and you'll be crucified!   :-D
I was afraid of all the grease in the pie.

Offline Pizza da pie

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:06:38 AM »
OK so I made a pizza last night and put the raw sausage in it. It turned out really good and I am no longer afraid of the grease because there really wasn't any to speak of. I also think it added something to the pizza that was missing with the cooked sausage. I get good sausage from my local butcher so from now on it's raw or nothing.  :D I'm going to try Garvey's Chicago thin this weekend. Can't wait. Already have the dough in the fridge.

Online CDNpielover

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »
Awesome!  Glad it worked out for you!  And really looking forward to your thin crust this weekend - please take lots of pics!   :chef:  There aren't enough folks making midwest-style thin crust pies on these forums!   :-D