Author Topic: Pizza sauce recipe from Red's Savoy Inn (Minnesota)  (Read 2857 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Pizza sauce recipe from Red's Savoy Inn (Minnesota)
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:49:37 PM »
I found the following recipe on the University of Minnesota website.  It claims to be from the chefs at Red's Savoy Inn (famous Twin Cities pizza) in Saint Paul, MN, but I'm not sure if it is authentic or not.  Is there anyone in Minnesota who is familiar with Red's sauce, and would be willing to try this recipe and let us know if it's the real deal or not?  I know Jackitup has bought Red's sauce recently, perhaps he would be willing to let us know what he thinks.

http://www.arboretum.umn.edu/pizzasauce_recipe.aspx

Pizza Sauce from Red's Savoy Pizza chefs

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
Three 28 oz. cans of whole peeled tomatoes or 15-18 stewed tomatoes
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon fresh basil
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 small bay leaf
1 teaspoon fennel seed

Directions:

In a large skillet, melt butter with the oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic and saute until soft and transparent.  Add tomatoes and stir until smooth.  Add remaining ingredients and bring to a slow simmer.  Simmer for 30-60 minutes.  Remove bay leave and spread the sauce on your prepared pizza dough.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:55:30 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline Tman1

Re: Pizza sauce recipe from Red's Savoy Inn (Minnesota)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »
Having tasted the actual sauce, I'm left wondering what, from this recipe, would give it the little kick it has?  Minnesotan's are notorious for bland (not spicy) food, yet Red's sauce has a hint of it on the back end when you eat it. I've tried a couple of other recipes that implied they were copycat's and they were not successful at that... not necessarily bad sauces, but not Red's.  You say Jackitup bought his sauce....hmmmm?

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »
I've never had Red's, but the ratio of tomatoes to herbs/spices seems high.  I would personally use one 28-oz can and leave the rest of the recipe as is (maybe with the exception of the 3 Tbs of fats).

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 12:46:07 PM »
Having tasted the actual sauce, I'm left wondering what, from this recipe, would give it the little kick it has?  Minnesotan's are notorious for bland (not spicy) food, yet Red's sauce has a hint of it on the back end when you eat it. I've tried a couple of other recipes that implied they were copycat's and they were not successful at that... not necessarily bad sauces, but not Red's.  You say Jackitup bought his sauce....hmmmm?

Yes I agree there isn't anything to really give it a "kick," although I've tasted it before too (I lived in Minnesota for 21 years), ahnd unfortunately didn't notice the little "kick" you're referring to.  Perhaps it's because I always tried comparing it to the Carbone's pizza sauce (my favorite), which is WAY spicier than Red's Savoy.   :chef:

Anyhow, I think that perhaps this isn't the actual recipe from Red's Savoy, but instead something suggested by some chefs there for the U of M arboretum website - especially after seeing the other recipes listed at http://www.arboretum.umn.edu/cooksfavesnraves.aspx

pizzapan