Author Topic: Formaggio Brand Moz  (Read 933 times)

Offline Meatballs

Formaggio Brand Moz
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:24 AM »
Has anybody tried Formaggio brand Mozzarella.  The website for the company/product is here... 

http://formaggiocheese.com/live/products (you can kill the sound at the bottom of the page, I hate that...)

I picked up some at the local Sam's in Dothan, Alabama and was stunned.  I went in for the two pack of Belgiosio Fresh Moz and they were out, so I picked up a two pack of the Formaggio.  The cheese melted incredibly well just broken up like a fresh Moz but did not cook out nearly as wet.  I would say the texture is somewhere between a whole milk moz and a fresh moz.  The string when melted could be measured in the miles.

I don't know about the availability in other parts of the country but the website lists Winn Dixie as a retailer, I'll be checking on that today.  I don't know if the Sam's product is any different than shown on the website above or sold elswhere but the labeling was slightly different than on the website. 

Happy Pizzas

Ron

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Formaggio Brand Moz
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »
Formaggio is available In my area (Albany, NY) in many outlets including most of the bigger grocery stores. The cheeses is made in NYS, and as you said it is a little drier then BelGiosio and many others. I don't find it to be any tastier then others, but then again I'm not overly impressed by any of the cryovac packaged "fresh: mozzarellas.

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 02:50:41 PM »
DM,

I understand your attitude toward cryo moz and agree, but, what I'm refering to, which I didn't make clear, was that the Formaggio moz could be used for a regular New York style.  I wouldn't go putting it on a wood fired Margarita, and, I wanted the Belgiosio mostly for a Capeise salad, as well  as, to put on my Nearlypolitan.  My wife likes it...ok?  She's from a Midwest family.  That said, it turned my Nearlypolitan into a really good New York style...   The next time I use it I plan on a classic New York thin crust pepperoni and I think it may be awesome.

Ron

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 03:22:03 PM »
I'm not overly impressed by any of the cryovac packaged "fresh: mozzarellas.

I have to agree with this. I don't think I have EVER tried one I liked very much on pizza.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 03:42:25 AM »
Meatballs, good to see another Bama guy in the forum! Sorry to hijack I just had to say hello from Birmingham. I had a fraternity brother from Dothan, last name Waddell. His dad was a judge around that area.
More is better..... and too much is just right.