Author Topic: Pizza Cheese Blend  (Read 2457 times)

Offline JimmyJazz

Pizza Cheese Blend
« on: February 11, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »
Hello,

I wish to shred my own blend of pizza cheese.

The characteristics I am looking for are light browning on the top of the pizza, really good pull (as in stringy cheese) and of course flavor.

Does anyone have any info regards types of cheese, fat content and percentages of each in the blend to achieve this?

Thanks very much!

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Re: Pizza Cheese Blend
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 01:34:56 PM »
I would say do some experiments on your own and find what works for you. Many cheeses are used on pizza, mozz, provolone, cheddar, muenster, asiago, brick, swiss, the choices are up to you. I routinely add some cheddar to my mozzarella for flavor. The days of super stringy mozzarella seem to be gone, at least I haven't been able to find it. If you do, let me know. Good luck, the combos you can create are endless.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline JimmyJazz

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 11:06:06 AM »
Thanks dmcavanagh,

I think I will start by using a full fat mixed with a part skim (mozza's) and see if that will produces. I would imagine some browning will occur with the addition of the part skim.

Offline DarqMan

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:24:13 PM »
You might consider adding some Fontina to the mix as well.  The Danish version found in most groceries has a mild earthy, creamy flavor.  I've used it in cheese mixes before and it works well.

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »
One thing you might consider is to add a pre-grated (as in store bought) Parmesan/Romano blend to the shredded cheese as you shred it to act as an anti-caking agent. With Mozzarella, that gives you a 3-cheese blend right off the bat and it spreads well on the pizza.

Ron