Author Topic: Pizza Dough Calculator Weighing Water Question  (Read 1263 times)

Offline hockman4357

Pizza Dough Calculator Weighing Water Question
« on: February 10, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »
When using one of the Pizza Dough Calculators, do you weigh the water?  I was working on a a New York Style reciped last night with the Extended Pizza Dough Calculator and it called for 390.91 g of water (64% hydration) for two dough balls.  Do I literally weigh the water on my digital scale? 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pizza Dough Calculator Weighing Water Question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 06:00:32 PM »
hockman4357,

Having been involved in the design of all of the dough calculating tools, I can tell you that the water is stated by weight, as is the flour and cake yeast (if used). There are no volume conversions for any of those ingredients because their values vary depending on how one measures them out by volume.

So, you should weigh the water on your digital scale. You don't have to get the exact weight. That is, you can use 391 grams instead of 390.91.

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:10:58 PM »
Yes, use your scale. I assume your scale has a tare function, so place your container on the scale and turn it on, the weight of the container will be substracted and any measurement there after well be shown as the actual weight of the ingredient. I use mine for flour and water and use volume measurement, teaspoon and tablespoon for the smaller amounts such as yeast, salt, sugar and oil. Are you finding the resulting dough to be overly sticky and difficult to handle leading you to think something is amiss?
Don

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:59:30 PM »
Yes, use your scale. I assume your scale has a tare function, so place your container on the scale and turn it on, the weight of the container will be substracted and any measurement there after well be shown as the actual weight of the ingredient.

Hockman - my digital scale works similar to what Don is telling you to do, but ....  I have to turn the scale on, let it show 0, put the bowl on and then hit 'tare'  Then it shows 0 again and you can weigh only the stuff you put in the bowl, without including the weight of the bowl. :)
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:14:28 AM »
Yes, you should. Your scale probably won't be accurate enough to weigh to the 1/10-gram, so just weigh to the closest number your scale will allow. I normally round my numbers to the nearest whole gram too.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline hockman4357

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 05:45:36 PM »
Thanks for all the responses to my question!  My dough turned out really well.  I have been experimenting with baking on a 16" x 16" x 1/2" steel plate with pretty good results overall.  I still have a ways to go, but I'm really enjoying the journey!