Author Topic: Cheese graters/slicers  (Read 1956 times)

Offline communist

Cheese graters/slicers
« on: February 07, 2012, 08:15:36 PM »
Any experience with the microplane cheese box grater/slicer?  I used a generic box grater for mozzarella, and it is a bit of a slug when I have to grate 2 pounds of mozzarella.  In years past, I have frozen my mozzarella for 40 minutes before using my Cuisinart shredder, but over the past year I am fearful of freezing my mozzarella for quality concerns ( unjustified? ) and the cheese does seem to be a bit too "feathery" after going through the processor.  The microplane does have a slicer on the side - any good?  I have been playing around with cheese slices in place of shredding, and at times will use my V slicer, but it is a bit dangerous and hit or miss.  Any experience with motorized meat slicers out there for cheese slicing? Thanks for any input.  Mark

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Cheese graters/slicers
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:46:12 PM »
I use a meat grinder on my Kitchenaid mixer for cheese. You end up with little round cheese pellets that are much easier and quicker to apply than shreds IMO.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Cheese graters/slicers
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:37:06 AM »
I have a shredder attachment for my KitchenAid, which is great for doing a lot of cheese in a hurry. However, I rarely use it because it's such an ordeal to drag it out of it's hiding place, and then clean it when you're done.