Author Topic: Starter/Baker noob!  (Read 1172 times)

Offline pieguyevan

Starter/Baker noob!
« on: February 12, 2012, 02:16:07 PM »
Just came across this forum yesterday, cannot believe this wealth of information has been here all this time and now I feel as though I am relearning pizza all over again! I have worked in pizza for 10 years and up here in montana apparently we dont know the first thing about pie dough...I am looking at expanding on my own and would appreciate some help on what you guys talk about here because it is greek to me! Info about bakers percentages, abbreviations, and starter help would be much appreciated...If there is a book or something you can point me to like a "dummies guide to pizza dough!" or anything I can get to really start understanding and appreciating the topics being discussed here. Thanks for your time and I cant explain how excited I am to REALLY start understanding the fundamentals of this wonderful food  :)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Starter/Baker noob!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »
pieguyevan,

You might start by reading the forum's Pizza Glossary at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html.

Peter

Offline pieguyevan

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »
Thank you Pete, I got so overwhelmed with all the forum topics i guess i didn't notice the glossary! Thanks!

Offline pieguyevan

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 04:41:37 PM »
Today I am beginning a 14 day starter from "Breads from La Brea's Bakery", and a question came to mind...Are there any major differences from the bread starter I am about to make and a starter that is used for Pizza??

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »
Today I am beginning a 14 day starter from "Breads from La Brea's Bakery", and a question came to mind...Are there any major differences from the bread starter I am about to make and a starter that is used for Pizza??

Every starter is different. You are using grapes which can have all kinds of different varieties of fungus and bacteria present. The airborne microbes in your kitchen and those in the flour are different. You will capture a unique culture. It may be very well-suited for pizza. It may not.

Good luck! 

Offline pieguyevan

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »
Well, here goes nothing!! I found a local, high protein, high gluten flour, figured its local so definitely worth a shot. wish me luck and i'll keep posting observations here and if anyone has advice let a brother in on some!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 06:04:50 PM »
Well, here goes nothing!! I found a local, high protein, high gluten flour, figured its local so definitely worth a shot. wish me luck and i'll keep posting observations here and if anyone has advice let a brother in on some!

Just go for it, pieguyevan. You will very probably succeed on your first try, but even if it takes a few rounds, the effort is well worthwhile. In my opinion, sourdough cultures add layers of flavor that you just can't achieve with commercial yeast. I'll never go back. Although all but one of the starters in my stable are currently from sourdo.com, I'm gearing up to capture a local, wild one very soon - something I haven't done in many years. Keep us informed of your progress.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:29:40 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Pizza3.14

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 06:22:17 PM »
I was also very excited to use a starter from local captured yeast.  It is fun to do and then use, but it is true that every yeast is different.  I had some success with the local yeast then I tried some from Ischia starter and found what I had been missing.  I am still working on the right coloration but as far as flavor it was exactly what I was looking for.  So definitely work with your local yeast, you might have a winner, but if not don't think that it is as good as it gets. 

Greg

scott123

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 02:25:34 AM »
Evan,

1. NY style pizzerias generally don't use starters (maybe 1 in 10,000 or even less).

2. Starters add a gargantuan layer of complexity to pizzamaking.

If your experience making dough is minimal and you have aspirations of selling NY style, then you shouldn't, at this point, be messing with starters. Master the basics first and then move on to the advanced stuff (if you think your target demographic would respond favorably to it).

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 11:51:32 AM »
Evan,

If you do decide to go down the sourdough path, I'm happy to help the best I can with any specific questions you might have. It's hard to just throw out random advice as there are simply too many variables in play with sourdough.

I would highly recommend that you read through the various threads that discuss pizzamaking with starters. Many of them detail specific peoples experiences and learning through trial and error. You should be able to pick up a wealth of background knowledge very quickly. Look for them in the NY and Neapolitan boards.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pieguyevan

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 03:32:43 PM »
Thank you all for your excellent advice and support. like i said i've been working in pizza in MT for about 10 years now and am just now starting to mess arouond with my own dough style. not particularly set on one way or the other yet, i just have never been around a place that puts much thought or love into their dough (water, flour, yeast, mix and done). I am really into trying something totally new and fresh and hoping the difference will really shine through. Thanks for the timely responses and will keep updated  on my experience with this starter.

pizzapan