Author Topic: Which flour to go with  (Read 1380 times)

Offline bluebird7

Which flour to go with
« on: February 12, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »
Hello,
I ve experimented with making pizzas a while ago, but could not find the flour for the neopolitan style or I just wasnt looking hard enough .  Is All trumps popular?... purchase a 25lb bag all trumps online, or should I go with Bakers and Chefs from sams 50lb ( thats alot of flour). Help much appreciated.
Regards,
Shaun

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Which flour to go with
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 06:47:54 PM »
"Neapolitan style" is characterized by fast baking at very high temps (~800F-1000F) with flours that can withstand that heat without scorching. One popular flour for that purpose is Caputo "00" Pizzeria Flour. If your oven is not capable of such high heat, this style is harder to achieve. Other flours and amendments can be used, but the final result may not meet your requirements for Neapolitan style.

Offline bluebird7

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »
Thanks for replying,
I'm just using a conventional, preheated oven using a round stone. Yeah, its hard to say because of my set up and ingredients. Trying to make something similiar and tasting like a New York style using a conventional oven , the more and more I experiment , the more i learn. I think using all trumps flour wouldn't hurt. Who uses all trumps flour?
Shaun

Offline pizzburghr

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 08:33:21 PM »

I am currently using All Trumps without the bromate. Works pretty good. Pizza is very light, and
has a good flavor. Google Pennsylvania Macaroni Company and order a 5lb. bag to try. They have both
bromated ,and nonbromated All Trumps. While you are at it measure your oven, and order or buy a pizza
screen that will fit your oven. If your oven goes to 550 you should be able to cook a good pizza on the
bottom rack. You also need a good thermometer to keep an eye on the temps..  Dave

Offline bluebird7

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 08:43:54 PM »
Thank you Dave
shaun

Offline bluebird7

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 09:33:24 PM »
Dave
Hey 5lb bag not bad.
What the difference between the two, unbleached / bleach versions? If its bleach then not as tasty as unbleached? I'm buying one, can't go wrong.
Shaun

Offline pizzburghr

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 10:08:02 PM »

Shaun bleached is bromated. I stayed away from this to start my New York Project. Going to post
as soon as I get my pics. cut.  Dave

Offline bluebird7

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 10:44:06 PM »
Now I know,
Bromate Fact Sheet
bromate , is a flour “improver” that strengthens dough and
allows for greater oven spring and higher rising in the oven.
Bromated flour is flour enriched with potassium bromate. Often used by
commercial bakers, bromated flour makes a more.

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 02:01:24 AM »
Shaun, for NY style pizzerias, bleached bromated flour tends to be the flour of choice, because it gives you the best oven spring with the least amount of fussing. 14% protein flours, such as All Trumps, are quite popular, but you do find some places using lower protein (12.5% to 13%) bromated flours such as Full Strength and Spring King. I'm a fan of lower protein flour, as 14% protein flours tend to be a bit unforgiving and produce tough crusts without careful treatment.

Unless you live in Northern Florida, you should have access to a Gordon Food Service. GFS sells bromated Bouncer flour, an All Trumps analog, along with their bromated house brand, Primo Gusto. Both should serve you better than paying shipping charges for All Trumps.

While NY style doesn't have the same heat requirements as Neapolitan, in order to do it justice, you need to have a sufficient oven setup for relatively fast bake times- less than 5 minutes. In order to do this with a home oven, it takes the right stone.  Good flour helps, but it's pretty inconsequential compared to the impact of a short bake time. The bake time, above all else, defines great NY style pizza.

Offline bluebird7

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 04:00:43 AM »
Thanks scott

Shaun

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 01:43:10 PM »
I recently bought some All Trumps bromated, and like it a lot.  Not only was it cheap, but it does give a nice bake in the kitchen oven.

Offline bluebird7

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 01:10:46 PM »
Ordered my all trumps 5 lbs bag of flour ($4 cost , 11.70 shipping) for $16 from Penn Mac Co.  The GFS store is too far away.
Shaun