Author Topic: new to the world of Pizza making  (Read 243 times)

Offline doughboy2

new to the world of Pizza making
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:59:29 AM »
I have just recently discovered the pleasures of the world of Pizza making. I have been developing a pizza dough recipe for a few months now and still in the tweaking stages of getting it where I am satisfied with flavor and texture. I am going to post my recipe in hopes of collecting insight on how it can be improved on. I look forward on seeing inputs from the pizza loving experts and all on this recipes. Below is my version of a pizza dough.

Pizza Dough Recipe
Makes 1 large or 2 small thin crust pizzas

2 cups of Bread or All Purpose Flour (I like the texture using Bread flour)
1 Teaspoon of Baking Powder use ½ teaspoon for thinner crust
1 Teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon Onion Powder
1 level teaspoon Garlic Powder (Do not use any more for it will kill the yeast and dough will not raise)
3 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Teaspoons of corn sugar or white sugar (you can replace with honey to change the flavor of the dough)
¾ Cup Spring water at room temperature (spring water use is important for the proper mineral content and softness of dough) I used my local Market Basket brand spring water 2 gallons for a dollar.
1 package of Fleischmann’s Active Dry Yeast
1 tablespoon of medium or coarse grind corn meal

In a large bowel add the flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, extra virgin olive oil, and 1 teaspoon of the sugar, and mix well. In a small bowl add room temperature spring water, 1 teaspoon of sugar stir, and then stir in yeast till mostly dissolved. Then let sit for 5 to 10 minutes till a froth forms on top of the water. Slowly stir in the water yeast mixture to the bowl of flour mixture, and mix till dough comes together. This should take about 2 or 3 minutes. Dump dough of a floured surface and knead till smooth and has elasticity to it. This can take anywhere between 5 to 10 minutes if kneading by hand, less time if using mixer. Once dough has been kneaded form it into a ball and put it in a well lubricated, with extra virgin olive oil glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover bowl with clear wrap and let stand at room temperature till dough doubles in size. This could take anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on room temperature. Once dough has completed the first proof cycle and is now double in size, punch dough and cover again and let rise till double in size again. At the end of the second proofing cycle dough is ready for forming the pizza. You should have enough dough for approx. two 12 inch pizzas. Roll dough out to about 1/8 to ¼ thickness and to the desired shape of your pizza. If you are using a solid bottom pizza pan or sheet pan sprinkle corn meal on bottom of pan to prevent dough from sticking then place formed dough in pan. Prick all over the bottom of the dough with a fork and let dough sit in pan and rest for 5 to 10 minutes before doing anything. Once dough has rested then brush the whole dough with extra virgin olive oil. You might want to spread a little minced garlic on the dough at this time but not needed. Add 4 heaping tablespoons of Marinara sauce, (I like Newman’s Own Marinara Sauce myself but any will do). Then add shredded cheese of your choice store bought pizza blend worked very well. (I use low moisture Mozzarella, Provolone, Romano, Parmesan, and white Cheddar mixture I make myself), add favorite toppings. Then bake in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes or till dough is golden brown.