Author Topic: Limited Elasticity in Dough  (Read 791 times)

Offline djamc

Limited Elasticity in Dough
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:10:27 PM »
I have been making great pizzas daily for the past month.  I started with KABF and have recently moved to KASL...

My concern is that my gluten does not seem to be developing properly - even with the use of 100% KASL...  the doughs that I am making r very extensible and really don't kneed any stretching off the counter...

My process
I generally autolyze 75% of flour for 20 minutes (covered)

I then kneed in Kitchen Aid for 5-8 minutes (setting 1 & 2) immediately adding yeast, slowly adding the flour and finally salt toward the end of the kneeding process

I then rest for 20 minutes (covered) and have varied from immediate refrigeration to a 90 minute counter proof before putting into fridge

Cold ferment time - ranged from 20 hours - 3 days

Proof prior to stretching - ~90 minutes

Ingredients
I've played with hydrations from > 65% - 72%...

I've used sea salt in baker's percents from > 1.4% - 2.5%

I've used fresh yeast in baker's percents from > 1.4% - 2%

I am thinking about extending my kneed time, reducing my hydration and extending my autolyze time...

If anyone can give me some insight as to some techniques I can add, or modify to enhance my gluten development that would be of great help!

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Limited Elasticity in Dough
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:29:37 PM »
Try upping your salt to 2.8% and dissolve it directly into your water at the beginning. I'd use cold (40-45F) water and add the yeast at the beginning too or change to IDY. Lower your hydration to 62% or even 60%.

How long are you kneading after all of the flour is in? I knead it in the KA for a couple minutes at least, give it some hand kneads until it gets stiff. Let it relax and then give it some more hand kneads until smooth and almost stiff. give it one more relax and a couple more hand kneads if the second set didn't get it silky smooth.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »
Is there something in particular you are looking to gain other then making the dough more elastic?  Generally an extensible dough is considered a plus.
-Jeff

Offline djamc

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »
My pizzas r coming out the oven very close to the top NY style pizza places in the NY area...  I've just been a little purplexed as to why I can't stretch the dough in the air without the dough immediately stretching to an enormous length...

I am only making 13oz doughs currently, since I'm mostly making 14x14 thin pizzas...  I'm thinking this might b the issue, as I am kind of pressing them out as if they were 23oz doughs...  Since there is less material there I think I am starting with a very thin dough bedore I even lift it off the board...

I made a 23oz dough tonight and I'm going to make a full size pizza tmrw night - I'm thinking it'll prbly b very large 18x18 based on my previous dough weights and pizza dimensions...  I just gotta find a place to cook the sucker and a large enough peel...

Thanks,

Dan
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:22:37 PM by djamc »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
Dan,

I am not sure why your dough immediately stretches so fast, but found when using higher hydration doughs (with or without added oils) they can open easily and very fast.

Peter has many posts on hydration if you do an advanced search.  This is just one of the searches at Reply 3 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13239.msg130815.html#msg130815 and in that post the link to http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12211.0.html

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!