Author Topic: Grilled pizza in Providence RI  (Read 1407 times)

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
Grilled pizza in Providence RI
« on: April 28, 2006, 11:18:54 PM »
Found myself in the Providence area around lunchtime today.  I wanted to try Al Forno, supposedly the inventor of grilled pizza.  However they open at 5pm, so I went to Bob and Timmy's which was recommended to me as a good second choice.

I got their "Pizza I", which is their most basic tomato and cheese (4 different cheeses) pie.  I really didn't like it. 

The crust was strange.  I expected it to be different, but it was different in ways I never imagined.  The crust is very thin, yet it had a combination of soft crunchiness (like a Ritz cracker crunch, not crispy) and a kind of undercooked texture.  But the crust flavor was even more wrong.  It tasted bitter, but not bitter like you get from a good char.  It was more like a burnt plastic kind of bitterness.  And there was the occasional fishy-tasting note, almost as if they had cooked a piece of salmon or mackerel on the grill, then cooked the pizza.

Very off-putting.  Based on this experience I'm not eager to rush back to Providence.

I took some pictures which I'll add once I find the cable to connect my camera to the computer.

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Grilled pizza in Providence RI
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »
I hit Al Forno's last month.  Your description of the crust is very similar to what I had there minus the fishy taste.  It is VERY thin and crisp, with no soft sections at all.  This was cracker pizza.  To me the crust was really no big deal at all.  Unfortunately as far as I am concerned the crust is everyting on a pizza.  Because of this I was definitely disappointed with the pizza.  They did make up for it somewhat with exceptional sauce and toppings.  My general feeling is that if you are going there for pizza and you are REALLY into pizza there is a good chance that you are going to be disappointed with the Al Forno's.

In all fairness, there were only two pizzas on the menu, and they were listed as appetizers.  I really got the feeling that the pizza there was not supposed to be the main attraction at all.  I only ordered one pizza for the four of us as an appetizer, and we all got entrees.  I have to say that the meal at AL Forno's was possibly the best meal I have ever had in my life.  I have been fortunate enough to be able to try a good number of fine dining establishments in my lifetime, and trust me, this place was at the top of the heap.  I would urge anybody in the R.I. area that doesn't mind spending some money for a quality dinner to do just what I did.  Split an app pizza with some friends to see what all the fuss is about, and give this restaraunt a shot for what they really do best.  Unbeatable Fine dining.

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
Re: Grilled pizza in Providence RI
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:47:33 AM »
Photos
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.